PDA

View Full Version : Pac Nor pre fit?

10gaugemag
10-27-2013, 07:49 PM
I am getting ready to start my build for a 257 Roberts on a Model 12 and am thinking of using a PacNor barrel because I can get it with a 1:9 twist for longer mono bullets and heavy leads. I notice on their website that they recommend a gunsmith fit the barrel to the action. Does Pacnor leave a step or two out that a gunsmith has to perform or are these barrels a true prefit/drop in barrel? This will be my first barrel swap but it seems pretty straight forward. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

sortafast
10-27-2013, 08:01 PM
you can call them, but my guess is that they say that as a CYA measure. Some people really don't know what they are doing with firearms and lack the skills, tools and knowledge to properly install a barrel. My guess is, is that they want to scare those people away. IF you know what you are doing (and with the savage, it ain't hard) i doubt it would be an issue. There is a possibility that they short chamber their prefits, but I have no clue if this is the case.

10gaugemag
10-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Says they are a short thread shank ready to be set back and head spaced. I may call them tomorrow and see what they will tell me.

10gaugemag
10-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Says they are a short thread shank ready to be set back and head spaced. I may call them tomorrow and see what they will tell me.
I wonder if the short thread is for screw in barrels without a nut?

JCalhoun
10-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Pac Nor's customer service is lousy and their workmanship is spotty. Give McGowen, Shilen, Sinman, or Rock Creek a call.

Armed in Utah
10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Pac Nor's customer service is lousy and their workmanship is spotty. Give McGowen, Shilen, Sinman, or Rock Creek a call.

I've been dealing with Pac Nor for nearly 15 years....have not got a bad barrel from them yet........
Wait time has increased on any of their products...pre fit Savage tubes are 12-14 weeks out....yes they are ready to install...

J.Baker
10-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Boy doesn't this bring back memories. I can remember when we first started this site and for the first two - maybe three years the only two barrel maker names you would hear on the site were Douglas (SSS) and Pac-Nor - mainly because they were the only two pre-fit options at the time. We'd get the occasional Shilen, Hart, Lilja, or Lothar Walther post, but probably 95% or more were either Pac-Nor or Douglas.

Somewhere along the line (I think it was mainly due to a group buy getting royally screwed up and bad service after the fact) Pac-Nor kinda fell out of favor and within a year you never heard word one about them anymore. Now they're lucky to get mentioned here maybe once a year - if even that often. My how time changes things.

Personally I've never owned a Pac-Nor and it's mainly because for whatever reason their barrels always seem to have a shorter life in terms of round count. I don't know if they use a slightly softer grade of metal to reduce wear on their tooling or if they're a little heavy handed when hand-lapping the barrels or what, but that's just always been the trend with Pac-Nor from what I've read on numerous forums over the past 12-15 years.

sinman
10-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Pac-nor isn't the only company to make a 1/9 twist barrel for 25cal. Brux, benchmark and other cut rifled companies will (usually) cut to what ever twist you want. Plus button rifle companies like Shilen offer them also.