PDA

View Full Version : Lee 3 Hole Turret Press - new to reloading.

kopfjaeger
10-27-2013, 03:20 PM
I father in law just gave me his old Lee 3 Hole Turret Press. He used it years ago for pistol rounds. I believe that it can be used for rifle cartridges. As I am new to reloading, would this work?

I know I have to get dies and all of the accessories. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started. I will be reloading .308 Match. I have done a little research, but any and all input is welcome.

Thanks!

bootsmcguire
10-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Yes that press will work. I have used a Lee 4-Hole (same thing just 1 more hole) for several years and works great.

As for dies, since you are just starting out I would recommend the Lee Deluxe Die set. It is a 3 die set that comes with a FL sizing die, a Lee Collet die (for sizing necks only), and the Lee "Dead Length" Seating die. I use these on my 308 and have made some darn good ammo with them. Just run your brass through the Lee Collet Die (LCD) and then seat bullet with the Dead Length Seater (DLS). You do not lube the brass when using the LCD which saves time and mess, the LCD compresses the brass to a mandral rather than drawing over it which seems to extend brass life. The DLS has no provision for crimping the bullet (which for a bolt gun is unnecessary and sometimes detrimental) which speeds up die setup time and I think makes it more repeatable than the standard Lee seating dies.

You can always upgrade to better dies later if you feel the need, but I think you will be really impressed with the quality of ammo you will make with the Deluxe Die Set especially for their cost.

foxx
10-27-2013, 03:44 PM
It will work. For starters, get a manual or two. Read all you can. There are tons of opinions about different die mfr's. For starters, I like RCBS for seating and full length sizing etc. Big fan of Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die. Get a case trimmer, hand-held primer, calipers, RCBS manual scale.

Read the forums... check you tube.

Good luck. Careful, it is addicting.

+ everything Boots said

eddiesindian
10-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Yes that press will work. I have used a Lee 4-Hole (same thing just 1 more hole) for several years and works great.

As for dies, since you are just starting out I would recommend the Lee Deluxe Die set. It is a 3 die set that comes with a FL sizing die, a Lee Collet die (for sizing necks only), and the Lee "Dead Length" Seating die. I use these on my 308 and have made some darn good ammo with them. Just run your brass through the Lee Collet Die (LCD) and then seat bullet with the Dead Length Seater (DLS). You do not lube the brass when using the LCD which saves time and mess, the LCD compresses the brass to a mandral rather than drawing over it which seems to extend brass life. The DLS has no provision for crimping the bullet (which for a bolt gun is unnecessary and sometimes detrimental) which speeds up die setup time and I think makes it more repeatable than the standard Lee seating dies.

You can always upgrade to better dies later if you feel the need, but I think you will be really impressed with the quality of ammo you will make with the Deluxe Die Set especially for their cost.

:nod:

foxx
10-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Kopfjaeger translation: Head hunter? (My German is weak, but that's funny.)

bootsmcguire
10-27-2013, 04:05 PM
As foxx said get yourself a couple of good manuals. The Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition is a good one full of info and the Hornady Manual are two of my favorites, the Lyman manual is great also. I recommend the Lee to many beginners as it has a lot of step-by-step tutorials in it that are great for beginners, but grab a second one of your choice for comparison. I like the Hornady for the little history articles it gives with each caliber.

kopfjaeger
10-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all of the advice! I'll be putting in my orders soon for parts. I'll get a couple of manuals also. Seems like powders and primers are pretty scarce. I used to be on SWAT team here, so I can source some good brass at least.

I've been fairly lucky in getting shotshell reloading supplies, but its often hit or miss.

eddiesindian
10-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Nice deal being able to get your hands on some once fired bress.....One thing to remember on that brass is that Im sure almost all of it has crimps on the primer pockets...personally?......I hate processing brass thats crimp,d, but seeing as how I live in a border city, theres plenty of border patrol agents who always leave there brass and i just cant say no to "any" brass at this point. Sure Ill b**** about it while processing the brass and getting ready to reload but these days you just gotta do what you gotta do.