PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Hours at Desert Markman 1000yrd Shoot Today !

wlleven
10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Well I was there at 8am, but folks were already setting up.

I did not bring a gun I just wanted to see what was going on and the equipment used, what a lesson.

First, some very cool guns for sure. Most were Remingtons and a few Savages and customs as well. Most of the guys were using Remington actions because of the amount of accessories and custom things that can be done with them according to the folks I was talking to. There were a few 308's but mostly 6.5 in the assortment of case configurations. The 6.5x47 and the Creedmore seem to be popular. There was a guy there who was using a custom high power cartridge that seemed to be doing very well, there was a 338 Lapua there also ;- )

Almost every body had a Sinclair F bipod, and they looked like the thing to have for sure, great for the bench and great for varmints.

I must get a drag bag from Midway as I hate hard cases for weekly shoots and just going to the range, before today I did not know they were called drag bags !

The other thing that I saw was the Magnetospeed chronograph. It was the first time I saw this device and was very impressed, don't have to worry about the cloud cover, the ground in front of you, no need for a tripod, can set up and take down even when the range is "Hot" ..... sound like a major winner for rifle shooters for sure. Like to know if anyone on this forum uses one ?

Next but not least, I brought my range bag as it has my glasses and ear protection (you REALLY need good ear protection when watching these guys as all the guns were all ported), well a fellow savage shooter had trouble with his Accu-Trigger spring as his gun was set pretty light, he asked a bunch of us if we had a Savage trigger adjustment tool, just so happens I did as I put one in my bag last night ! I wonder if a small touch of low thread locker would be in order to stop the screw from backing out ?

He was very grateful and in short order back on the line.

wll

wlleven
10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
All I can tell you guys it was an eye opener, to see what the 1000 YD shooters were using !

These guys were on the line and trying to win. They all have been through the mill and there is no BS going around.

All the folks I spoke to were very helpful and have experience using the products that work and products that don't hold up !

It was cool !

wll

LoneWolf
10-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Sounds like a good experience. I may have to get out there to give it a go. I'm sure I'd be out classed at a grand due to experience and equipment, but I think I would have fun none the less