PDA

View Full Version : Tan stock on a Model 200????

Todd33
02-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Does anyone have a pic of a Stevens Model 200 with a factory Tan colored stock. I can't find a pic of one on the web. I called Academy Sports looking for a 200 in .223 & the sales guy decscribed it has having a tan colored stock. I've only seen them in gray & planned on painting it Coyote Tan if I bought one. I would much rather have a factory stock than a rattlecan job. Maybe the guy was colorblind??..lol. Thanks in advance for any info.. :)

Todd33
02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
I guess the guy was colorblind??? ???

jgasch
02-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Not color blind.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/jgasch/IMG_2251.jpg

hitman49
02-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Not color blind.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac145/jgasch/IMG_2251.jpg

Nice to see that your treadmill doubles as a rifle holder. Savage does special runs for bulk buyers. There are some around with green stocks from Gander Mt I believe.

Todd33
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys. They do look a lot better than the grey. I think I'll make the trip to go get one tommorow. I appreciate you taking the time to post the pics for me.

ellobo
02-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Am I whistling up a tree or did Savage change the resin type on the plastic stocks to a stiffer one a few yrs back and upgrade the dies but kept the old plastic stocks on the Stevens 200 for a period of time? I have a plastic stocked 110 that is fairly stiff that I dont plan on changing as it is a weatherproof rifle for my hunting area.

El Lobo

rickt300
02-22-2010, 03:21 AM
My tan stock from Academy is reasonably flexible, or was till I bonded it to the barrel with black silicon. I have an older Savage with the black stock that was bought as a package gun from Walmart and yes I like it's stock better but the tan one works just fine.

McKinneyMike
02-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Rick, I do not mean to be out of line, but you never want your barrel attached to anything except the action. You want your barrel to float free, not touching the stock anywhere.

Todd33
02-22-2010, 01:05 PM
My tan stock from Academy is reasonably flexible, or was till I bonded it to the barrel with black silicon. I have an older Savage with the black stock that was bought as a package gun from Walmart and yes I like it's stock better but the tan one works just fine.

Have you tried taking the gun apart since the silicone job? Not bashing you. Just wondering if the gun is still able to be broken down.

rickt300
03-07-2010, 03:27 PM
The "bond" is only about 1/4 inch wide and 1/16th's of an inch thick. Yes it is easily broken down and replaced. As to free floating this puts no pressure on the barrel and may well help dampen barrel vibrations. I have never had any problems doing this and always get very good accuracy. In fact I make a practice of bonding the barrels at the forend with silicon with all synthetic stocks to keep the stock from being flexed in all directions when the rifle is being carried with a sling. I also generally paint the barreled action making the need to dissasemble the action from the stock much lessened. Any rifle I have with a synthetic stock is going to be one which I use in inclement weather, pretty is not an issue but dependably putting the round in the right spot is.

Don - LongRangeSupply
03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
The "bond" is only about 1/4 inch wide and 1/16th's of an inch thick. Yes it is easily broken down and replaced. As to free floating this puts no pressure on the barrel and may well help dampen barrel vibrations. I have never had any problems doing this and always get very good accuracy. In fact I make a practice of bonding the barrels at the forend with silicon with all synthetic stocks to keep the stock from being flexed in all directions when the rifle is being carried with a sling. I also generally paint the barreled action making the need to dissasemble the action from the stock much lessened. Any rifle I have with a synthetic stock is going to be one which I use in inclement weather, pretty is not an issue but dependably putting the round in the right spot is.

Try using a tight sling hold with the barrel bonded to the stock. Your impact will shift significantly. You may also see impact shift from the bench depending on where the rest is touching the fore end.

You are correct that often a barrel will shoot well with some contact with the stock. The problem is impact shifts when pressure is applied at a different spot on the stock.

rickt300
03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Silicon is a bit flexible. You should try it and see if you have any problems. I shoot with a sling but not "tight" like I would in a 3 position small bore match in which case there might be a downward POI shift. This has worked well for me using several synthetic stocks with no issues of yet.