PDA

View Full Version : dry food for camping

Stockrex
10-27-2013, 07:35 AM
I am going hunt and need some dry food packs to last 3 days
what do you guys suggest?

I found this at wallys, any good? do they taste good?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mountain-House-Just-In-Case-Classic-Bucket/21692734

thomae
10-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Check the wilderness survival section, there might be more info there.
While camping with the Boy Scouts, I have had Mountain Home dried food before. It is ok, and will keep you going, but no dried food is truly tasty. You can dry some of your own food if you have the time, and there is always oatmeal (Make sure you use the 1-minute kind) and stuff like that that you can pack. A mixture of instant coffee, oatmeal, some raisins and or chocolate chips mixed with hot water in the morning may sound yucky, but will get you going on a cold morning after rolling out of your tent.

Remember that even though dried food is lighter because you are not carting around the water, you still have to have the same amount of water in order to survive and digest the food, especially if it is salty. If there is good water on the trail, great, if not, you will be packing it in and water is heavy... 1 KG per liter, or about 8.3 pounds per US gallon. It's heavy, but don't skimp on the water. You can live for about a month without food. Dehydration will kill you much faster. On one of our hikes (granted, it was a backpacking trip, not hunting) I carried and drank 11 pounds of water in about a day and a half. We were walking and carrying our packs the whole time, however, so it was probably different than your situation.

But I digress: Commercially made freeze dried food is expensive and not built for a refined palate. Does it taste good? Only you can decide that. Whatever you can make yourself will save you money. Oriental food stores sometimes have packets of dried fish at reasonable prices (If you don't mind fish breath on the trail) that does not require any refrigeration and keeps forever.

Have a good time.

Stockrex
10-27-2013, 09:46 AM
hey, I like the fried fish from the oriental stores, hmm, sweet hot anchovies, yummy,
We will have enough water and will have heat, fridge is not a problem as it will probably be from 20F to 20 below,
I bought a mixed pack of mountain home, it was $50 for 8 packs
instant oat meal is a great idea, it will keep me going too ;-)
here is the list:
1. jerky
2. oat meal
3. trail mix (salty)
4. peanuts
5. dried fish
6. mountain home
7. Gatorade powder
8. raisins

fish breath and bears, hmm, my buddy tells me that the bears are in hibernation already!

snowgetter1
10-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Three days, I would bring something substantial for 1 meal a day. Get one MRE, or similar item, for a main meal.

Stockrex
10-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Three days, I would bring something substantial for 1 meal a day. Get one MRE, or similar item, for a main meal.

you mean the military ones?

snowgetter1
10-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes or something similar. Military one should have enough to actually provide a full meal and say a light lunch in the form of crackers and peanut butter, candy, and/or some bread. Plus there should be a water activated heater in there.

snowgetter1
10-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Or get some canned food like spaghetti or stew like stuff and heat it with sterno. Just make sure you vent the can prior to applying heat or you would have a mess.