PDA

View Full Version : "The Farther One Travels, The Less One Knows" Barrell / Reloading Questions

Pages : 1 [2]

Silvercrow1
10-29-2013, 10:16 AM
http://www.bulletsamples.com/

ALLRIGHT! Thanks Bill!

Spectre236
10-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Great info - Thanks much Bill - Just a side thought might your nickname in another time have been "Grumpy"?

BillPa
10-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Great info - Thanks much Bill - Just a side thought might your nickname in another time have been "Grumpy"?

No, but on occasion I'll sign my posts " The Grumpy Old Fart". :p

Oh BTW, if anyone belongs to a gun club or frequents a back street sleazy barroom ask around. Many times someone may have a bullet you want to try and will give you a few.

BTW, dress like your best attire came from the sale rack at Goodwill, they're feel bad for you and refuse to accept a dime for them!

Bill (aka; The Grumpy Old Fart)

Silvercrow1
10-30-2013, 05:28 PM
LOL good info. Bill! BTW- my attire DOES come from Goodwill....and Ross...etc. Brian

joeb33050
10-31-2013, 04:39 AM
Bullet WEIGHT means very slightly more than NOTHING when it comes to stability and twist rates, so get that out of your head. People who talk weight: 1) don't know chit. 2) are making a very generalized comment.
RPM is what stabilizes, and the LENGTH is what needs stabilizing, not the weight.
RPM is a function of both twist and velocity. No two barrels are created equal, but here is a calculator to get you started:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi
Look up your specific bullet from the tab on the left, then come back and fill in for your specifics.

Bullet weight means quite a bit more than nothing. Greenhill's formula included a correction for specific gravity, which is about the weight of the bullet. I'll send a copy of the original cite if anyone wants it.

The original Greenhill formula: TWIST = ((CD^2)/L)) * ((SG/10.9)^(1/2)) where
C = 150
D = bullet's diameter in inches
L = bullet's length in inches
SG = bullet's specific gravity (10.9 for lead-core bullets, which cancels out the second half of the equation)
Please excuse all the parenthesis, I'd rather be safe than...

The Dell, Powley and Miller twist calculators ALL include bullet weight.
Again, I'll provide cites on request.
Weight matters.

GaCop
10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
I got lucky when I built my son's heavy barrel 223 using a factory stainless fluted barrel. I's a 1 in 9 twist and loves the 75 gr A-Max bullets. He shot at 400 yards for the first time Sunday and managed a 3.69" group at that range after getting his elevation right. He fired 6 more shots and all those averaged 4.59" with five going into 2.73".

Silvercrow1
10-31-2013, 12:06 PM
I got lucky when I built my son's heavy barrel 223 using a factory stainless fluted barrel. I's a 1 in 9 twist and loves the 75 gr A-Max bullets. He shot at 400 yards for the first time Sunday and managed a 3.69" group at that range after getting his elevation right. He fired 6 more shots and all those averaged 4.59" with five going into 2.73".

SWEET! You can be very proud of him! Hoping I do that well when I start "getting out there"! Brian

jbjh
11-01-2013, 12:44 AM
I read somewhere that there is a company that will sell you small amounts of "sample" bullets to try in your gun, for a reasonable cost. I FORGET where I saw this info- any one know? Appreciate any leads- I'd love to experiment.

Brian

Sinclair (part of Brownells), carries small batches of bullets (25-30) so you don't have to buy by the hundreds. Not the cheapest way to reload, but not dropping a ton of cash on the unknown.

dcloco
11-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Bullet WEIGHT means very slightly more than NOTHING when it comes to stability and twist rates, so get that out of your head. People who talk weight: 1) don't know chit. 2) are making a very generalized comment.
RPM is what stabilizes, and the LENGTH is what needs stabilizing, not the weight.
RPM is a function of both twist and velocity. No two barrels are created equal, but here is a calculator to get you started:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi
Look up your specific bullet from the tab on the left, then come back and fill in for your specifics.

DITTO what darkker said. Amount of bullet jacket in contact with the rifling...hence...length of bullet.

thomae
11-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Please be careful.
It is ok to disagree with each other, but we are all friends here and we are all trying to help each other out.
Personal insults or attacks are not appropriate.