PDA

View Full Version : Possible Rifle Problem - Need Advice

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
10-27-2013, 01:36 AM
Beartooth, my -06 shoots best with H4350.

Also, have you pillar-bedded it? I believe all wooden stocks should be pillar-bedded. Otherwise, the action screws compress the wood and you get various amounts of torque on the action as humidity and other factors change. You may have as good a group as you can get if its not pillared and bedded. That's the whole point of the accustock. The aluminum rails are there to approximately achieve, in an offordable, mass-produced way, what pillar bedding does for wooden stocks.

tammons
10-27-2013, 10:06 AM
+1 - I was going to suggest that above. H4350 or IMR4350 powder.
Add to that Russian or CCI BR2 primers.

In the past whenever I am looking for tiny groups and having issues with a round, I start over.
I find a known accuracy load, powder and primer to work from, buy some lapua brass, Scenar bullets, weigh and sort everything and go from there. At times, just that has cut my groups in half.

Nothing wrong with what you are loading, just saying if you are trying to shoot bug holes, you might want to try better components, fire form, neck size etc etc.

44magleo
11-25-2013, 01:41 PM
I might check the bedding, won't hurt. I might also set up some loads as you have them in sets of 5 with the OAL set in .010 steps from touching the lands back to say .120 off the lands. With this the only changes you might find your rifle likes them not touching.
I always try my first loads at .020 off. Find a reasonable load then try the different OAL test to see what it likes.
Leo

stomp442
11-25-2013, 04:55 PM
This looks like a load issue to me. I don't ever do any load development with bullets into the lands and I have never had any bullet shoot better when jamned in the lands not even the bergers. The sweet spot for me has always been .025" from the lands. I start about 2.5 grains from max and work up in .5gr increments until the group tightens up and I play with seating depth from there if I have to. I will also go with the consensus and say to make sure the tang and barrel are floated. Invest in a bullet comparator to ensure c.o.a.l. from the ogive of the bullet is consistent.

Wildboarem
11-26-2013, 02:59 AM
This looks like a load issue to me. I don't ever do any load development with bullets into the lands and I have never had any bullet shoot better when jamned in the lands not even the bergers. The sweet spot for me has always been .025" from the lands. I start about 2.5 grains from max and work up in .5gr increments until the group tightens up and I play with seating depth from there if I have to. I will also go with the consensus and say to make sure the tang and barrel are floated. Invest in a bullet comparator to ensure c.o.a.l. from the ogive of the bullet is consistent.

+1
I noticed your load is at the bottom or min charge according to hodgdon. I started using a new load development process that Erik cortina suggest. I found it over on accurate shooter reloading forum. Similar to what your doing and what Stomp is doing. My wife's '06 shoots sub moa with rocks so I've been lucky. Haven't tried varget in it yet but found imr4350, rl-15, rl-19 have been really accurate with a range of bullets. I would start off the lands until you find a node and them tweak seating depth. Later you can float tangs,torque nuts and polish balls. What? I believe that somehow all those things will help but how much? Your group isn't a tang issue. Thays my opinion.