PDA

View Full Version : It's rough out there!

J.Baker
10-26-2013, 03:24 PM
So yesterday I spent most of the morning and early afternoon driving around to 5 LGS's in the area looking for something to buy. Mostly I was looking for some Ruger single-action revolvers (Single-Six Hunter, Single-Nine, Single-Ten, SS Vaquero in .357) and lever guns (Uberti 1866, Winchester 1873, and a good clean JM stamped Marlin 336 in .30-30), but do you think I could find anything? Five gun shops and not a one had anything new I was looking for, and the one used Marlin I saw was pretty rough and way over priced.

Not wanting to admit defeat I took to Gallery of Guns this morning, but everything I looked up was either out-of-stock or allocated to their regular dealers due to high demand. Seems as if Cimmaron, Uberti, Ruger and Winchester cowboy guns are selling just as well if not even better than AR's and Savage's right now.

I almost resorted to Gun Broker, but I really hate the hassle of having to go get a M/O and then having to wait a week and a half to two weeks to finally get the gun. Suffice to say patience was NOT a virtue I was blessed with when it comes to buying guns.

In the end I lucked out and was at least able to order the Single-Nine and Single-Ten through Bud's Gun Shop. That leads me to another difficult search though - one for 22 Magnum Rimfire ammo. That might be a lost cause for awhile by the look of things.

J.Baker
10-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Wow, mention Ruger and Winchester in the same sentence and everyone shuns ya like you're a MoveOn.org supporter. lol

EFBell
10-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Yeah well this a Savage website. Whats you're deal man?

J.Baker
10-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Savage doesn't make new handguns or lever guns so they've left me no choice but to befriend their competition.

JCalhoun
10-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I think a lot of the demand for the revolvers and lever guns is that you can find .44-40 and .45LC ammo and reloading supplies. Now if only those folks would take up CAS.

J.Baker
10-28-2013, 04:33 PM
Actually, most of the CASS/SASS shooters are using guns chambered in .357 Mag and shoot 38 Special ammo these days as it's a lot cheaper whether your handloading or shooting factory fodder. I've been considering heading down to Piqua Fish & Game (http://piquafishandgame.com/Cowboys.php) one of these months to watch one of their SASS events to see if it's something I might be interested in trying. Only thing that's stopped me thus far is that I really don't want/need another expensive hobby that I really can't afford, and I really can't see myself playing dress-up once a month. lol

JCalhoun
10-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Money factor is the only reason I don't do it.

EFBell
10-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Aw come on Jim, I'm sure someone out there would appreciate you dressed like a Saloon Girl with a revolver strapped to your garter.

davemuzz
10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Just this past summer I picked up the "baby brother" Winchester 94-22 in 22-LR (shoots 22-L's, & 22-Shorts also). I call it the baby brother as about 5 years ago I bought a Winchester 94-22 in 22-Magnum. These lever rifles of course, are no longer in production (well…I dunno if the new Winchester is making 'em. I haven't looked) but they are simply fine pieces of rifle art, and as accurate as you will find a lever gun to be.

I don't shoot CASS and don't ever plan too, but these Winchesters are great to shoot\plink, and worthy to take out hunting anything that a rimfire is right for.

FWIW

Dave

GaryB
10-29-2013, 03:27 PM
There's always FastDraw, if there are any competitions near you. Black powder blanks and wax bullets. Fairly reasonable.

But, you still have to dress up!:rolleyes:

psharon97
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM
A gunsmith friend just gave me an old Winchester 94 in 30/30. Darned thing still shoots great. My next caliber I'm looking at is the 444 marlin. I'm with ya Jim, gotta look at the competition sometimes lol.

davemuzz
10-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I have a Marlin 1895XLR in 45-70 that is as accurate as any bolt action out there….out to 300 yards. And that's shooting a 405gr. lead bullet. I'm taking it black bear hunting this year.

Dave

243LPR
10-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Did cowboy action once as a guest,my dad's a regular there.It was fun and didn't have to dress up.Out of about 20 participants I came in 9th using borrowed guns,even beat dad.I load all the 45 LC for him and was neat to see everybody blasting away.I don't think I'll be taking it up any time soon though.

J.Baker
10-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Just this past summer I picked up the "baby brother" Winchester 94-22 in 22-LR (shoots 22-L's, & 22-Shorts also). I call it the baby brother as about 5 years ago I bought a Winchester 94-22 in 22-Magnum. These lever rifles of course, are no longer in production (well…I dunno if the new Winchester is making 'em. I haven't looked) but they are simply fine pieces of rifle art, and as accurate as you will find a lever gun to be.

I don't shoot CASS and don't ever plan too, but these Winchesters are great to shoot\plink, and worthy to take out hunting anything that a rimfire is right for.

FWIW

Dave

No, the new Winchester isn't making either of the 9422's (as of yet). A 9422M XTR (22Mag w/checkering) is one of the guns on my wish list. Seems they're currently going for anywhere from $800 to $1200 in NIB condition and around $600-750 for clean used models, which is more than I'd care to spend. For that kind of money I think I'd rather have a nice older Marlin Model 39 in 22LR.