PDA

View Full Version : Taking Bolt Head Assembly Apart?

delsol
10-26-2013, 12:47 PM
I bought my Axis back in the first part of August took it to the range and notice that in each mag I shot that one shell or more would not ejected. I called Savage and they sent me all new parts for the bolt head assembly. I decide too wait before installing and shoot it a few more times hoping that it would fix it self. Well took out again yesterday for the third or forth time and it's still doing the same thing. From what I read & youtube it doesn't look to hard taking the bolt apart but haven't seen or read about the Bolt Heading Assembly. Now my question, should I send the head back to Savage to do, Find a gunsmith, or is it something I can do? Any help would be appreciated!!

stangfish
10-26-2013, 02:12 PM
or is it something I can do?

We don't know your mechanical ability. We also don't know what kind of tools are in your box. The job is simple for a person with average mechanical ability. Looking at the bolt head can you figure out how the ejector works. The extractor?

delsol
10-26-2013, 06:25 PM
After thinking a while about this I decided to start off with something simple, I installed the new extractor, extractor spring and steel ball. Then I tried a few empty shells and they ejected just fine but I'm not sure if that a true test or not. What do you think should I have change out all the part on the bolt head or could this solve the problem?

stangfish
10-26-2013, 06:33 PM
I would soak it in kroil or something similar and work the ejector pin to make sure it is free.

delsol
10-26-2013, 07:35 PM
I would soak it in kroil or something similar and work the ejector pin to make sure it is free.

When you said soak it in kroil do mean the whole bolt head or just pore some down the ejector pin hole. Not sure what kroil is but will find out and do what you said.

Just looked it up & saw it was penetrating oil, have some in garage will give it a try.

LHitchcox
10-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Kroil is an excellent penetration oil. I love the stuff. It is advertised as the oil that creeps. Just a bit in around the ejector button and let it soak. I would work the button a bit as well by pushing it in to see if there is any drag on it. There may be a burr in there.

delsol
10-27-2013, 06:58 PM
I had a old can of marvel penetrating oil that I used (not sure how good it is) but I let it soak all night then this morning I worked the ejection pin back & forth. I did ejected a few more empty shells through the rifle and it ejected the shells just fine but like I said earlier not sure if that a true test. It will be a few weeks before I shoot my Axis but I will let you know how it works.