PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get up to speed on the Savage Precision Target action

Bike Effects
10-26-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm planning a build of a switch barrel rifle on a Savage single shot action. I need confirmation of what I THINK I have learned. Please comment on my facts below:

Bought new in this day and age I believe the screw spacing is 4.4". True?

i believe this action has a large shank. True?

i would like this build on a Tactical style stock with a wide forearm. Any suggestions?

My initial caliber will be .223 followed by a 6BR. I'm a handloader and accuracy is paramount. Any other suggestions on this project would be appreciated.

Jeff

pdog06
10-26-2013, 06:47 AM
#1. The screw spacing could be either 4.400 or 3.44. Savage has both and i believe all new ones are 3.44 now.

#2. Yes, all target actions are large shank.

#3. The options here are many. Depends on what style you like. Laminate or synthetic? If you buy an action with a 4.400 spacing just know that you can also use a standard centerfeed short action stock for it(you just wont use the middle action screw on the target action). I have done this many times and no loss in accuracy. This would make stocks like the B&C Medalist available for your action, which are very good stocks for the money and not a custom order you will wait 6 months for.

#4. You will need an additional bolthead and baffle for one of the calibers. The 223 and 6br take different ones, but its only a 10 minute swap so no big deal. Just know that if you buy an action with a left ejection port that you will need to get a LEFT HAND bolthead for it, even though it is a right handed bolt action. Usually these can be gotten from Brownells, Midway, or Stockade Gunstocks.

hope this helps

jonbearman
10-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Look at hs precision at stockys or the bobby hart stocks with the aluminum frame in the stock,they only need a skim bed.