PDA

View Full Version : for those that have a RUM action

stumpjumper400
02-21-2010, 08:35 AM
I know some of you guys have a mag length rum action. When the gun was factory trimmed, did the barrel have the step down forward of the nut just like the WSM's or not. If my memory serves me right, Savage built some on standard shanks. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't want to buy this thing if it's not a large shank mag action as it will eventually be a 338 edge repeater.

thank you....Savage gods
this stuff is addicting

Steve

learjet
02-21-2010, 09:17 AM
mines a flat back large shank. curious, whats ur plans to make an edge repeater? the mag box is about 3.635 inside length, most edge loads show 3.785 OAL. ive decided to go 338 rum, and hopefully i wont need to modify the mag box

pphreed1
02-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Mine looks just like my 300 wsm

stumpjumper400
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM
learjet--if the magnum length savage will not hold a 338 edge in the box, then why is it the action of choice for this caliber (other than being a large shank). I was under the impression it would fit. A detachable mag is what I would like. I know it would take some doing to get a magazine setup that big but it's possible I would think. Is the action not as long as a rem 700?

If I can't do this on a savage action then I might as well buy an already built one from DE.

Comments?

wkt60
02-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Quite a few of us have been down this road. The RUM action is used because it features the largest mag box Savage made .The problem is no one makes an extended mag box for the Savage as they do for Rem's(Wyatt)
There's also no larger aftermarket DBM bottom metal & mags for the Savage like there is the Rem ( Seekins)
I use the Savage because its what I like,but it will be a single shot for now.
Hopefully Learjet & Geargrinder will chime in here, they seem much more knowledgeable than I on this subject

geargrinder
02-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Whoever said that a Savage action is the action of choice for an Edge is pulling your leg. A Remington or Clone is much easier and has the aftermarket support. People build on Savages because they are usually cheaper, easy to work on, and are often more accurate.

Finding a RUM action for an Edge build isn't worth the hassle or expense.

I built a repeater on a small shank magnum long action. It was a lot of work, but it was an action I already had and got for cheap. It fits 2 in the mag and have a +/- 3.9" OAL. I could have fit 3 in the mag with a couple changes.

The second one I built, I put it on a long/short action. I'm running it single shot.

What needs to be done to a staggerfeed action basically does what Savage did to the centerfeeds. Make the bottom opening longer.

stumpjumper400
02-21-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info Geargrinder...

It must have been something I read on the rum's that said a mag savage was the way to go. I don't have one so I couldn't measure it. I've been looking at a 338 Lapua for some time now, stumbled across the edge and I had to have one. No reason, just because I wanted it. The other day I had NSS send me a stocked action because they don't make it anymore. I have no idea what it will be yet but I wanted it. I guess I have savagitis. It's getting to the point of having too many calibers to load for.

Thanks for the info, you guys are a big help.

there is a 300 rum on GB right now for 450
Steve

learjet
02-21-2010, 06:50 PM
my barrel, dies, and a few bullets will be showin up soon, then ill be able to plan a bit more. im hopin to get what i want performance wise outta the rum - its gotta hang w my buddies ar30 hehe. its not entirely likely thatll happen however. i dont have any plans atm to open up the magwell, but i may purchase a couple extra mag boxes, and have the front of them reworked by a sheetmetal buddy to get me a bit more OAL. wont bother if i can get 2900fps, 1/2moa, and reliable feeding w lapua 250 scenars or b408 lock bases. my other thought is to see how much freebore this thing ends up with w a SAAMI chamber. Dave @ PTG has already sent me prints for a tighter throated reamer. if i need to get closer to the lands ill probably rechamber w his reamer, rather than alter the action. dang i want these parts to start showin hehe

we will see...

efm77
02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
The main thing is that if it's an ultra mag action then the magazine will be long enough. If it's one of the older standard shank actions and you want it to be large shank that is an easy fix for any decent gunsmith. I recently had a 116 action opened up to large shank but Jim See at Center Shot Rifles and he did a top notch job.

geargrinder
02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
The main thing is that if it's an ultra mag action then the magazine will be long enough. If it's one of the older standard shank actions and you want it to be large shank that is an easy fix for any decent gunsmith. I recently had a 116 action opened up to large shank but Jim See at Center Shot Rifles and he did a top notch job.

Long enough? It will only be long enough for factory loaded ammo. It won't be near long enough for any bullets with a decent BC and still be anywhere close to the lands.

KRP
02-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Long enough? It will only be long enough for factory loaded ammo. It won't be near long enough for any bullets with a decent BC and still be anywhere close to the lands.

That depends on how the chamber is cut doesn't it?

You could load to magazine length and jam 300 SMKs or other heavy weight bullets if you wanted to.

geargrinder
02-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Yes you can but it has some pretty steep penalties.

If the chamber was cut to let a 300smk have an OAL of less than 3.6" you'd be way into the case. That takes away case volume. Less volume means less powder. Less powder means less velocity.

If you're willing to shoot less velocity you might as well be shooting a 338RUM or 338win.

~Ace~
02-22-2010, 01:17 AM
My Edge is Standard Shank, magnum action..7 mag box sliced and Diced and spliced, receiver relieved under bolt head when bolt is Open... Waiting on Barrel :'( for final fitting, but so far all is well and box fits 3

pd721el
02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
I talked with PT&G last week, they said their Std. Edge reamer is throated for use with a Wyatt Ext box on a 700. The inside of this box is 3.835. I have loaded 300 SMK to fit this box, with 92 and 94 Gr's of H1000 and still not had a compressed load. I don't have the gun back yet so cant give you any hard facts.

learjet
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
If the chamber was cut to let a 300smk have an OAL of less than 3.6" you'd be way into the case. That takes away case volume. Less volume means less powder. Less powder means less velocity.

to a point i agree, but less powder doesnt necessarily mean less velocity...if u can increase the pressure in other ways u can regain velocity. the obvious answer is to reduce freebore. but..im guessin that the pressure curve increases very fast as freebore decreases, so care would be needed. ive experienced this w a 223 i short throated, and got an immediate extra 200fps for any given load. pressure signs still started at the same velocity however. im not sayin i want to do this w a rum or edge, but if the freebore is way excessive, some velocity can probably be regained w a short throat.

or a longer barrel

also, the big slow bulky powders havent worked best in the 2 338 lapuas friends have. they use IMR 4831 and AA3100 or something.

anyways its all heresay till my rifle gets assembled. but im glad we can bounce ideas off each other

lear

efm77
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
I just meant he could make the RUM magazine work with most bullets especially 250 grains which for hunting would be all he would need. If he's going to shoot 300gr SMK's then he's probably going to be shooting slow enough to use it as a single shot with those loads so the magazine length for those wouldn't be as important. I'd say for hunting loads though it should fit in the magazine without getting into the case too much with the bullet.