PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: could someone please help me with my model 99M lever chambered in .308 WIN extractor

Manitoba Outdoorsman
10-25-2013, 09:36 PM
hello, new here.

model 99M lever action 308 win

serial

lever boss code:10S

so far I know it is missing a lever bushing screw, so the lever action is a little bit sloppy and loose. I have not been able to find one yet. I have checked ebay, and numrich. Where can I find a lever bushing screw?

the lever action is hard to close right at the end of the stroke , like wise when opening the action.

also the extractor doesn't appear to be grabing the spent casing.

anyone familiar with these problems?

I have now taken everything apart, and in the process of de-greasing parts. Could the extractor issue and the stiff action just be a result of buildup of crud. or are there certain things I should be looking towards to fix the issues?

the extractor arm appears to move or pivot around its pin easily now that its been cleaned up a little.

Mad Dog
10-30-2013, 08:48 PM
The lever stiffening up right before you close the action is how ALL 99's were originally made. It's called the lever bite and if it isn't stiff when it's almost closed it means your bite is getting sloppy and it needs fixed, yours sounds right as rain. I've had old guns that when you open the lever it just falls open with no tension on it at all, that's not the way they're supposed to be. A good leather mallet and a vice will fix that problem in a quick hurry.

As for the extractor I'm not sure, if you figure that one out let me know, I've got a 99C in 22-250 here that is having the same issue lately, I'm hoping is just a weak spring.

MacDR
11-18-2013, 01:33 PM
The extractor goes into a little cutout on the outside edge of the chamber. This cutout gets cruddy easily. I believe it can get so cruddy it pushes the extractor tip aside enough to bend it slightly outward The result can be seen as looseness of the extractor in its channel in the bolt. This leads to slipping on the cartridge rim. The extractor has no spring but has some spring itself. To tighten mine I removed the bolt carrier from the rifle and put it on a soft faced vice with the extractor against the vice jaw and only the top 1/2 inch of the bolt showing. Using a plastic faced hammer I tapped the extractor tip lightly toward the centre of the bolt. The result was that the extractor was tighter in its channel. I was willing to risk breaking the tip but judged the metal mallable enough. You have to make that decision yourself.

BillPa
11-18-2013, 05:43 PM
I've had old guns that when you open the lever it just falls open with no tension on it at all, that's not the way they're supposed to be. A good leather mallet and a vice will fix that problem in a quick hurry.

Mine doesn't fall open but takes very little effort locking-unlocking without a case in the chamber. I have a hitter (mallet) and a vise. Would you explain the "beatenonitfix". :p

Bill

Mad Dog
11-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Stole this off Lightfoot but I'm pretty sure Mike wouldn't mind.

If your lever does not stay up to the receiver when the rifle is not loaded it is because the lever is not applying enough force to the bolt to hold the lever up in place. We refer this to "lever bite". To fix you must close the arc of the lever by tapping a few times with a rubber or rawhide hammer. It doesn't take a lot and is a trial and error task. Once you remove the butt stock and review the "attached" photo and your rifle it should be pretty clear as to what you want to do.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/2947/filename/694096-Leverbite.jpg

BillPa
11-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Stole this off Lightfoot but I'm pretty sure Mike wouldn't mind.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/2947/filename/694096-Leverbite.jpg

I take it you give it a few good whacks to the right as its positioned in the pic?

Mad Dog
11-19-2013, 09:47 AM
Not sure, have never had to do it. You wanna bend it to the direction that will make it tighter, is "to the right" making it tighter or looser in the internals?

BillPa
11-19-2013, 05:17 PM
I'll have to rip mine apart then study it awhile. I did find this ... http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6302923/1

Bill

MacDR
11-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Bill, the final lockup is accomplished by the bolt carrier extension riding up and onto the tip of the lever at least as best as I have been able to see with the butt stock removed. A worn lever bushing or lever tip may allow this to be a sloppy contact. I suppose that increasing the gap of the lever might reduce the sloppiness as it would keep the tip higher when closed. I would check the bushing first though.