PDA

View Full Version : 110S to 110V conversion

EvanB
10-25-2013, 07:44 PM
I have a 110S in .308 that I want to change to .223 using a Savage 110V .223 barrel, nut and recoil lug. I know I have to change the bolt face and modify the mag (going with single shot "Fred Sled"). Question is, is the barrel shank the same size between the 110S and the 110V?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, anyone know where i can have the barrels changed out. Probably less expensive to send it out than to buy the barrel wrench, vice, go and no go guages.

Thank You.

sharpshooter
10-26-2013, 09:22 PM
The barrels are the same shank size. The 110 S was a first generation short action that uses long action bolt heads. Unfortunately, .223 long action bolt heads are no longer available, so one must use a short action bolt head and drill out the firing pin hole to fit. It is also necessary to use an extended firing pin stop nut to correctly set the firing pin protrusion.
The Fred Sled will not work with that magazine, it is for DBM's. You will need a Score -Hi single shot follower.

thomae
11-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Note: I moved this thread to a more appropriate section of the forum.

EvanB: If you put your location in your profile, you might find a nearby forum member with the tools who would be willing to help you do the barrel swap. If that doesn't work, just about any competent local gunsmith should be able to help you. Are you ever planning to do more than one barrel swap? (A lot of folks only plan to do only one...but then the addiction hits and all bets are off!) It might be more economical to buy the tools and do it yourself if you will end up doing several.

Sometimes tools and gauges come up for sale in the savageshooters.com classifieds , but if you wish to view that section of the forum, you will need to become a paid member.