PDA

View Full Version : Newb...Stevens 200 bolt question....

part Cherokee
02-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Hey
Well i just found this forum and im very excited about this!!!
I put a Stevens 200 on layaway two days ago after much research on the subject.
I do have a couple questions though.
Mine is a brand new gun and a lot of the Mod 200's ive seen have STEVENS printed in black on the bolt however mine say SAVAGE with the Savage emblem on it and the bolt has a prizmed looking machined type finish to it like a Winchester Mod 70's bolt. Is this new for 2009-2010 or did sombody mess up and put a "regular" Savage bolt in this gun. I have one more question are the new guns center feed or stagger feed?
Mine is chambered for a .300 Winchester mag and i have a new Leupold VX-I 3-9X40 ill be mounting on it also.
Thanks guys
Matthew Whitefox

GaCop
02-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Can't comment about your bolt but, the 200 should be a centerfeed unless it's new "old stock" that sat in the shop for quite some time.

dolomite_supafly
02-21-2010, 08:01 AM
You may want to compare the last 4 of the serial number on the bolt to the last 4 on the receiver. Not sure where you are buying it from but some shops remove the bolts to keep people from stealing them and they may have accidentally put the wrong bolt back in the one you are buying.

Another thing I have heard is that people, for no reason at all, swap bolts between guns on the rack.

Dolomite

part Cherokee
02-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Hey
They have triggerlocks on all the rifles all the time and i couldnt get the bolt out by just pressing the release with that lock on there so i dont think it was mis matched on the rack.If it was mis matched it had to be at the factory or while the guys at the shop put them together. Where is the serial # at on the bolt? So its suppose to say Stevens? Now yall have me worried.

Texas Solo
02-21-2010, 09:37 AM
I have about 20 Stevens 200's in stock and haven't seen a Savage bolt in any of them.
As suggested, check the serial numbers on bolt and receiver for a match. Ask the dealer about it, and call Savage CS.
Just don't take possession of the rifle until your comfortable.

Slowpoke Slim
02-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Maybe it has'd to do with it being a Win mag? I've never looked at a Stevens chambered in Win mag, maybe they're using Savage bolts in them? I can't see that it's a big deal, floating bolt head and all? Anyone with a late model Stevens in 300 Win mag that can look at their bolt and comment?

Heck, maybe the guy on the "Stevens line" ran out of bolts and walked over to the "Savage line" and got one...

???

scratcherky
02-21-2010, 10:12 AM
I would check it out before taking delivery. Bolts are not installed in the rifle when shipped from the factory so someone at the store installed the bolt and if working on more than one rifle at a time could have got bolts mixed up. Make sure the serial numbers match. If the wrong bolt, headspace could be incorrect.

cutter37372
02-21-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a 200 in 300 WM and it says Stevens on the bolt. In fact ALL 7 of mine say Stevens on the bolt!
Check it out before final purchase.

Cutter

part Cherokee
02-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey guys i'll call the store in the morning and ask them to check the numbers on it for me.
Ill report back tomorow evening.
Thanks

part Cherokee
02-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Update.... I called the store this morning and told the guy what you guys had said about the bolt and how it should read STEVENS. The guy at the shop then checked another Stevens model 200 that is also .300 mag that he had instock. Well it to had the jeweled SAVAGE bolt in it . This raised his curiosity. I asked him to check the bolt number and reciever number to see if it matched well he looked and could'nt find the number on the bolt. I told him i would call Savage customer service and get back with him. So i called and told them what we had found on the two guns (the two guns were with in 4 guns of being consecutive serial numbers) and she told me the last four of the serial is on the bolt but you have to take it out of the gun to see it,also she said it should say stevens but it is possible that they used Savage bolts if they ran out of stevens bolts and that they are basicly the same gun.
Then i called the gun store back and told him what she said, he removed the bolt and found that the serial numbers on the bolt DO match the reciever!!! So i have a model 200 with a jeweled Savage bolt .
Later Matt
Matt

dolomite_supafly
02-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Sounds great.

Glad it worked out for you.

Dolomite

part Cherokee
03-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Well i brought her home today!!!

Todd33
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Good luck..Hope it shoots good for you. I'm really lovin mine so far.. :)

Ray Gunter
03-02-2010, 08:53 PM
I want a Stevens with a Savage bolt ;D
or what the heck how about a
Rem with Win bolt :D