PDA

View Full Version : .243 Win in a Long Action Staggerfeed

GaCop
10-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Has anyone ever had a problem with feeding of the 243 in a long action? My first three rounds feed just fine, it's the last round that jumps out of the feed lips just before the round chambers and throws it at an angle jamming the bolt? The first three rounds feed like greased lightning.

SEshooter
10-25-2013, 07:21 PM
It sounds like you need more spring tension or the feed lips to be adjusted. Is the long action mag box for a round of the same case diameter as the 243? (ie: 30-06, 270, 280, etc.) Maybe put a piece of wood in the bottom of the mag with the spring on top. You may lose 1 round in capacity though but it is easy to return to normal and it will let you know if spring tension is the problem.

mattri
10-26-2013, 10:14 AM
I have a 7mm-08 built off of a staggerfeed la and it feeds fine for all rounds, SEshooter may be on to something.

jonbearman
10-26-2013, 11:52 AM
You could also add a front baffle from a .223 to shorten your bolt throw.They can be adjusted by grinding the extra material added to shorten the throw.If you are using a magnum box you need a 30-06 box or similar so they dont pop out.

GaCop
11-09-2013, 11:29 AM
It sounds like you need more spring tension or the feed lips to be adjusted. Is the long action mag box for a round of the same case diameter as the 243? (ie: 30-06, 270, 280, etc.) Maybe put a piece of wood in the bottom of the mag with the spring on top. You may lose 1 round in capacity though but it is easy to return to normal and it will let you know if spring tension is the problem. Good idea for a temporary fix, I'll try that. Mag box is for the 270 Win.

moecarama
11-09-2013, 05:31 PM
I built a .243 on a 111 270 win. and they fed great from the mag; I put a single shot follower in it for final build.

Wildboarem
11-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Ga , have a similar or exact issue as you do. 116 lh blind mag rebar rebarreled to .243. The last round about 50%+ will "jump" out as the bolt is closing. The issue is the feed lips do not sit forward enough the get the tip of the round past the lug area before the feed ramp springs it out. Eventually this will be solved with DBM. In the short term I might need to swap in a short box mag. Fill the back of the mag with whatever. This rifle switches between 7rm and .243.

Wildboarem
11-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I forgot to mention I don't think any tweaking of the feed lips will fix this issue. It is an oal issue. My .260 with the same setup doesn't have that issue as the oal length of 2.86 gets the cartridge started before it releases from the mag. The .243 with an oal of 2.66 releases before its started into the chamber area.

missed
11-10-2013, 06:05 PM
What bullets are you running ?? I am thinking about a 243 AI build and trying to decide long or short, I am kinda thinking about the 105 grain bullets.

bootsmcguire
11-10-2013, 08:42 PM
GaCop, if you have the follower with the flat steel leaf spring on it, try getting one that has the wound rectangular shaped coil spring. When I had my 243AI on a true SF-LA I made that switch and all my troubles went away.

Wildboarem
11-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Mine has the flat leaf spring also. I will look into a follower/spring also. Thanks. I was looking at my .260 tonight to compare and the magazines are slightly different. I am going to see if .260 has a coil spring. Never had issues feeding. I wouldn't think .2" oal would make that much difference.

To answer the other question. The bullets are 105 bthp @ 2.65. 2.685 is at the lands. Standard reamer. Wish it was reamed with about .10 freebore

Wildboarem
11-10-2013, 10:09 PM
I just realized that the magazine ordered from numerich for this build is a stagger feed I believe. It is different than the cf in my Stevens 200. The feed lips appear to be wider apart on the stagger feed. I just noticed a cf mag with follower for sale in the classified. Maybe a swap would be another way to skin this cat.
Boots can a sf be swapped out for a cf mag?

GaCop
11-11-2013, 12:02 PM
What bullets are you running ?? I am thinking about a 243 AI build and trying to decide long or short, I am kinda thinking about the 105 grain bullets. I'm shooting Sierra 100 gr SPs, 87gr Hornady BTs and the Remington 80 gr HP. I'm seating my bullets at about .005" to .008" OTL. I tried 105gr A-Max in mine and they sprayed all over the target.

GaCop
11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
GaCop, if you have the follower with the flat steel leaf spring on it, try getting one that has the wound rectangular shaped coil spring. When I had my 243AI on a true SF-LA I made that switch and all my troubles went away. No, I have the coiled spring on the follower. The rifle feeds like greased lightening for the first three rounds, it's only the last round that jumps out before it chambers.

bootsmcguire
11-11-2013, 10:32 PM
I just realized that the magazine ordered from numerich for this build is a stagger feed I believe. It is different than the cf in my Stevens 200. The feed lips appear to be wider apart on the stagger feed. I just noticed a cf mag with follower for sale in the classified. Maybe a swap would be another way to skin this cat.
Boots can a sf be swapped out for a cf mag?

Well yes and no. There are a couple of differences in the opening in the bottom of the action between a SF and a CF Action. Also the CF mag is wedged (so to speak) into the stock and stays in the stock at all times, the SF mag is attached to the action via a tab on each end of the mag that fits into a corresponding slots on the action. As such, the mag well opening in the stock of SF's is more generous the the CF stocks and to get a CF stock to stay in a SF stock requires some shimming. There are a couple of threads here that explain the process in better detail.

It can be done, but you probably be much happier just trading actions with someone and using a CF mag with a CF action and vice-versa.

bootsmcguire
11-11-2013, 10:37 PM
No, I have the coiled spring on the follower. The rifle feeds like greased lightening for the first three rounds, it's only the last round that jumps out before it chambers.

When your last round is attempting to feed, does the follower look like it is rising relatively level or is the front diving as the round leaves the mag? Mine was diving a fair bit and the coil style spring seemed to add a more even pressure to the follower plate and made the difference.

Perhaps adding a coil spring under the front of the follower in addition to the one you have already maybe a possibility.