PDA

View Full Version : need ammo recommendation for model 11

bindernut
10-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Hi,
I just bought a model 11 in 308 Winchester. I sighted it in with Herter's ammo from Cabelas. I had no problems with it. The gun shoots fine. After I got it shooting 1.5-2" group at 100 yards, I switched over to Winchester Ballistic silvertips. HORRIBLE. Not even on the target at all(15"x17") shot 3 or 4 rounds to make sure I wasn't jerking the rifle, nothing. switched to 50 yards. shooting 5-6 inches to the right & 3-4 low. walked it up to near zero(I only had 20 rounds with me) & switched back to 100 yards. again not on the target. switched back to the Herter's & got it back more or less on target before I ran of that. I did bump the scope pretty good on the table, but it wouldn't hit before, and afterwards I could still do 2 shot groups with the Herter's while I was sighting it back in. Deer season is right around the corner, anyone have any ammo recommendations? Hoping I can find some Remington or hornady in the next day or 2. Got more of the Herter's at home, but I can't hunt with it. It's FMJ & illegal in Missouri.

On another note, 3 gobblers with nice long beards were walking around the range today, oblivious to my buddy & I & my 308.

wbm
10-24-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't think it is the ammunition. I think you have a scope problem. What kind of scope is it?

bindernut
10-24-2013, 10:39 PM
I don't think it is the ammunition. I think you have a scope problem. What kind of scope is it?

Nikon 3x9. It was a combo from Savage. If it shot inconsistently with all ammo I would agree. However, It holds groups with the Herter's ammo but not the Winchester ammo. I would think if the scope was bad, it wouldn't shoot consistently with any ammo. As I said, I could shoot a 2" group with the Herter's, switch to Winchester, not on the target at all, switch back to Herter's & be right back in the group. that was before I bumped it. When I went to re-zero it with the Herter's before we left(and after I had bumped it), I was putting consistently putting 2 shots together on the paper as I walked it back to the bulls eye(I tend to take 2 shots between each scope adjustment). so I don't think I damaged the scope. Or am I off base in my thinking? I guess my long winded(wife is constantly telling me i'm long winded) point is, if the scopes bad, why does it hold groups with one ammo & not the other?

sniper15545
10-24-2013, 11:08 PM
308 is usually not a snoopy caliber, and that gun should shoot a lot better than 2 inch groups. I don't shoot factory ammo but you might try trophy bonded federal 165's. I would check the basea nd rings also to make sure they are tight. Also make sure your are not getting any black inside the scope when you look thru it. If you see any black it will throw the bullet the opposite direction of the black ring inside the scope. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, Please don't take it that way but a lot of people do not know this.

bindernut
10-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the reply sniper. I think the gun would shoot better if I wasn't so shakey. Even though I had the gun supported at both ends I know part of the large pattern is my fault.
I picked up a box of 168 grain hornady hollow points. Going to check another shop tomorrow for some federal as cabelas didn't have any. I plan to reload, but no time between now & deer season. Will check the scope & base hardware.

stangfish
10-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Hornady Custom 165

Federal Vital-Shok