PDA

View Full Version : 10p-sr fgmm issues

Pages : 1 [2]

shooterfpga
10-25-2013, 02:58 PM
This is not an accustock. Finally able to torque it in proper sequence and noticed after about 20-25in on the rear action and front it starts slipping. Im using a 5/32 sae hex bit socket. . Even increasing to 40in lbs doesnt make em move. Would a torx 27 work or am i missing something here.

pitsnipe
10-25-2013, 03:09 PM
So your hex bit spins in the screws? i.e. the screws are striped out? Then, at this point, you would need to get something in them that will bite, or you will have to drill them out (using a very small numbered bit that will leave most of the screw intact) and use an easy out to remove the screws. At that point, the job might be best done by a machinist or a smith.
Good luck.

Snipe

shooterfpga
10-25-2013, 08:12 PM
Looks like ima have to drill them out. Would nickel screws be better to replace them or was i just an idiot these steel ones are normally fine.

missed
10-25-2013, 10:00 PM
The standard steel is just fine I did replace mine with socket cap screws over the button head cap screws due to some more tool engagement and the ability to buy torx ones. I did have to grind the one down under the bolt release for it to clear the bolt release though. I got my replacement torx ones at an ace hardware and they were the grade 8 equivalent that I am blanking on at the moment.

Sometimes if the allen is stripped a torx bit can be tapped in and get it broken loose.

shooterfpga
10-25-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I prefer torx screws as they grip better and seem harder to strip. Any recollection of thread pitch and size? I was at the hardware store earlier looking at socket cap ones as well. Ill try using a torx to break it free before i drill em out.

missed
10-25-2013, 10:12 PM
1/4"-28 iirc. I think I got 1-1/2" long and cut them down. Granted I do have accustock guns so the length might be different.

I had one strip out and I took a T25 or T27 bit and tapped in the head and it came right out. Don't quote me on those numbers they seem right but it has been a long day, im dragging myself to bed now.

shooterfpga
10-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks ill try em tomorrow. Its prettt sure its a 27 as the 25 just bounces around. Come tomorrow evenin ill prollyhave it fixes and be happy again if that torx works and i can find the right screws. Lookin online shows them out of stock on a few sites.

shooterfpga
10-27-2013, 12:35 AM
Got em out using a torx bit. Unfortunately none of the local stores had any 1/4-28 in stock.