PDA

View Full Version : 1-4x illuminated scope

tammons
10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Looking for a good 1-4X illuminated scope at or under $300.

Prefer a crosshair center dot with the center dot illuminated, but a hold off would be okay too as long as the center dot is illuminated.

Need some thing with decent eye relief, not too heavy, must be non distorted at 1x or little distortion,
good optics, forgiving eye placement.

This is going on a TNW Aero in 45 ACP so it doesn't have to handle a ton of recoil for this application, but want a good one in case I move it to a bolt action rifle.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-4x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P48362.aspx

I know this is out of the price range, but I'm assuming you want something that function in the same manner as this correct?

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 02:25 PM
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x24-AR-Optics-30mm-Rifle-Scope-Mount-Kit-P61988.aspx

No experience with the Bushnell, but someone may have some. I know the SWFA will not upset you in performance.

snowgetter1
10-25-2013, 01:06 AM
I have a Millet 1x4 donut illuminated on my work AR. It has lasted about 4 years with one battery replacement and no issues. Think it was $200-250 range.

davemuzz
10-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I own two Millet's http://www.midwayusa.com/product/186660/millett-tactical-dms-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-4x-24mm-illuminated-circle-dot-reticle-matte tactical 1-4X scopes. One is on my 22-Mag and the other on my new Savage .17 Hornet. I love the scope as it is perfect for the range I need to shoot at (200 yards) and the scope has held up well.

However, I could not comment on putting a $220 scope like this on a heavy recoiling rifle such as a .308 etc.

Dave

tammons
10-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Been looking at a primary arms scope. A 1-4x is about $120 and a 1-6x about $250. They get good write ups but I know nothing about them. They are made in China.

I have read of conjecture that the Primary arms 1-4X scope is the same scope as the millet with a different retical and they do look identical. It has a crosshair and Illuminated dot. I dont care for the donut.

The PA 1-6x has a combined aiming system or whatever they call it.

At $120 I will just dedicate it to this rifle. Its a 45 ACP takedown rifle I am running at +p so not much recoil.

davemuzz
10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
FWIW, and I know reticle choice is a very personal "thing", so I'm not in any way trying to push this scope on you, but if you go to the midway web site that I linked above, and click the small pic of the reticle below the big scope picture, you will see that only the small dot is illuminated when you turn on the illumination. When the illumination is turned off, the dot is just a black dot.

Just to make sure you understand this. Again….not trying to shove this down your throat.

FWIW

Dave

PS…on my .17 Hornet I have the scope set to zero at 100 yards. With my hand loads shooting a 20gr. bullet, I raise the Dot so the target is half-way between the dot and the next circle to get within a half-inch of the bullseye at 200 yards. It works well for my purpose.

tammons
10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Yes I saw that. I have been looking at that scope off and on for years. That and the Meuller 1-4x and a couple of others.

The Primary arms scope is supposedly the same scope as the Millet at $100 cheaper and I prefer a regular crosshair with an illuminated center dot anyway.

The 1-6X is tempting but for a 45 ACP that shoots like a rainbow anyway and the intended range is 50-75 yards or so, or 100 at a stretch, I dont need a holdoff and its $130 more but I may try that 1-6x on another woods gun.

I really set this rifle up for night hunting hogs with a Lasergenetics light and a super light woods gun although I will eventually switch to a Pulsar digital NV scope for night hunting = Expensive.

Its very light at about 5#, takes glock mags so 15 or 27 round mags which is a good thing for pigs, and I have been playing around with heavy 45 Super loads in my XD 45. Been loading the 240 gr XTP magnum bullet, 265 WFNGC and I recently loaded some 300 gr LFNGC bullets with success all over power pistol. I have not chronographed any of them out of the Aero yet.

Tightest group I shot was with Taurus ammo - 160 gr barnes bullets - About 1"-1.25" at 50 yards.
Next was the 230 XTP +P handloads at about 1.5" 5 shots with some touching.
The 240 XTP also shot okay at about 1.5"-2".
The 265 grainer shot open.

I may try to bed the barrel to get it to tighten up a tad.

This is what the rifle looks like. Its interesting. Had a lot of guys at the range asking about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLnymcE9Fo

davemuzz
10-25-2013, 01:46 PM
Neat stuff. Here in Pa you can't use any type of night vision equipment to hunt game at night. I hunt fox at night, so I use a red spot\shooting light along with a lighted (red) reticle scope. (That's why the Millett) Also, here we can't use any type of laser aiming system. Yes….welcome to 1956.

Dave

tammons
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
That $ucks.

You cant even use a night vision monocular for scouting ??

I got a Pulsar NV demo digital NV monocular for about $450 and added a Luna IR illuminator and geez you can see out to 200 + yards with that rig. I was originally going to mount that on this rifle behind a NV compatible Eotech knockoff and I still might. I already have the red dot sight.

The lasergenetics light is basically just an adjustable laser flashlight. Caught the small one on sale for about $200 and thought I could use it on my pistol if I want.

davemuzz
10-25-2013, 03:37 PM
You cant even use a night vision monocular for scouting ??

Nope…..can't use any type of night vision gizmo's.

wlleven
10-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Been looking at a primary arms scope. A 1-4x is about $120 and a 1-6x about $250. They get good write ups but I know nothing about them. They are made in China.

I have read of conjecture that the Primary arms 1-4X scope is the same scope as the millet with a different retical and they do look identical. It has a crosshair and Illuminated dot. I dont care for the donut.

The PA 1-6x has a combined aiming system or whatever they call it.

At $120 I will just dedicate it to this rifle. Its a 45 ACP takedown rifle I am running at +p so not much recoil.

If I would have known about this scope I would have got it instead of the Weave 1-3 variable I have.

I just bought a Primary arms 4x16 that is do at my door on Friday. I have read everything I could on this scope after a fellow Savage shooter recomended them. I was looking at Vortex and SWFA, both of these brands are supposed to be very fine, just more money ;- )

I'll report on my Primary arms when it comes in this week !

wll

tammons
10-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Have the PA 1-4X on the way and I should have it by Thur or Fri.
Simple reticle and center illuminated dot is perfect for this 45 ACP rifle.

I have been looking around for something else for my 7mm mag and maybe the PA 4-16x would do.

Do you know what power it mils at ??

I am looking for something that ranges at full power.

I already have a Sightmark triple duty 3-9x illuminated center dot/mildot scope and its a solid scope but would like something that will mil over 9x.

tammons
10-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Got it....

I just got the Primary Arms 1-4x and I am impressed.
Its a bit heavy and largish but way ahead of most other cheap 1-4x scopes I have tried.
Optics seem crisp just looking though it. Will know more after I hunt with it.

At 1X there is no significant distortion I can see and it has an illuminated center dot if you want to shoot occluded, dusk/dawn, night.
My only complaint is that the eyebox is tight and not as forgiving as a Leupold, but for $120 I am happy.

No tunnel vision which is great since that drives me nuts.

Good Eye Relief.
Dont know about tracking and dont care because once its locked down thats it.
Going on a TNW Aero 45 ACP hog rifle running heavy bullets +P.

Even came with a spare battery in a holder in the L/R adjustment cap.

The flip up caps $uck.

My next scope will be the PA 4-16X for my long range rifle.
I emailed them about where it ranges and they said 16X which works for me.

Either that or the 1-6X or maybe both.