PDA

View Full Version : New Owner - Model 11VT

kopfjaeger
10-24-2013, 07:46 AM
I just picked up a Savage 11VT .308 from DSG yesterday. I did some research on Savage rifles before I bought and was thoroughly impressed with what I read. I'm a former USMC and SWAT sniper so I know my way around these things a little bit. I have thousands and thousands of rounds through hybrid Remington's, but never a Savage. I like the heavy free floated barrel, action, and accu-trigger. I was comparing the Ruger American, Remington 700 SPS, and a couple others. The Savage just felt better, and the quality seemed to be better as well. Plus, for $500, I couldn't pass it up. I plan on adding new base, rings, scope, possibly adding bipod (not sure yet). I plan on using rifle for hunting (deer, varmints, etc.) and some target shooting. I see the limitations on this rifle already, which should still make it a pretty decent 600-750 yard stick.

There's not a lot of information out there on this particular rifle. Does anyone have any information/ experience with this rifle? What loads does it prefer? Accuracy results? Any idiosynchrasies that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

stangfish
10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
KopfJaeger, Check out the search function. There have been several threads in the recent past with extensive dialog on them. Looks like with your experience you bring something to the table as a member here. Welcome to the brotherhood

kopfjaeger
10-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks Stangfish,

I looked at a few threads and most covered the .223 version of this rifle. Some of the groups people are getting are very impressive, I'm just curious about people's impressions of the .308, what ammo is performing best at various distances, and any peculiarities I should be looking out for. I'll be trying out Federal's 168 and 175 grain match to see what performs best over the next couple of weeks. May even try some black hills and hornady as well.

As far my my background, it's been a little while since I've done some long range shooting. About a decade to be honest. I still have some data books of the rifles I used in my previous life to use for reference. I have played around with 1:10 and 1:12 twist rates and have some pretty good data on various barrels and lengths. If I remember correctly, the 175gr stuff worked best out of the 1:10. 168 seemed to Peter out a bit past 600 - 700.

I will most likely start reloading for this as well and would certainly be looking for advice on this.

I'm looking forwarded to interacting and learning from the good folks here.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
I have played around with 1:10 and 1:12 twist rates and have some pretty good data on various barrels and lengths. If I remember correctly, the 175gr stuff worked best out of the 1:10. 168 seemed to Peter out a bit past 600 - 700.

This has been my experience with the 168's. They reach and I've had a lot of first round hits in the Long Range Comp that I jumped in, but for repeating hits on small steel targets passed about 625yds I've found that I need something heavier to get the consistency. I using a McGowen SS 26" Varmint Contour with the 1-10 twist. I figure I'll hang a little better moving up to the heavier pills and when i can get into the reloading it will only get better.

stangfish
10-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Lapua PALMA brass out to 600 has worked well for me. Varget and 4064. Still working on the 1000 yard load.

big honkin jeep
10-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Welcome
Lots of good info and good folks here :)

john800
10-24-2013, 09:17 PM
I bought one from dicks sporting goods this summer, dont remember if mine is a mod 10 or 11 vt, probobly the same gun you have but not sure. I got mine for deer hunting and will do some target shooting at some longer ranges, which I am new at, I started out with winchester brass cci large rifle primers 150 nosler balistic tips, 44.5 grains of varget seated .015 off the lands and that starting load worked very well (same load with 46 grains was just as good), I dont have alot of trigger time on it but it seems to shoot very well and I could not be much happeir with it. the only thing I would do is a sturdier stock, just because it seems to flex more than I like but somehow it does not seem to be hurting accuracy.
I zeroed it at 200 yds a couple weeks ago and shot 3 shot groups as small as 5/8" and as large as roughly 1 1/8"
What wre the limitations you saw with it? Stock?

kopfjaeger
10-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Yeah the stock, the lack of glass bedding and the rings, bases, Bushnell optics that came with it. I'm gonna replace the base, rings and scope first. Not sure what I want to go with. I'm looking for something in the $300-$400 range. I want mil dots (used to them), target turrets, variable power, 30mm tube, first focal plane would be a benefit. I know, I just described some Nightforces, Leopolds, and S&B's. But, can't really afford those right now. I'll hold off on a replacement stock for a while also.

I just got a donated reloading press and want start put some loads together. I've loaded shotgun shells but never rifle. So I'm looking for any input on that as well.

john800
10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
I took the scope and mounts off right away, i had a leupold vx3 that i put on it i may or may not upgrade the stock in the future. I probobly will not touch it if it shoots as well as it has so far. Handlodersbench.com and accurateshooter.com are a couple other sites for you to browse around on.
The stock may need to go if a guy wants to shoot of a bipod. Mine flexes alot near the action it would probobly beworse trying to get a stable rest with a bipod

bow125106
10-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Mine shot 1/2" with m852 off a bipod my first outing. Using a mueller apt scope

hombre243
11-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I just purchased an 11 v/t also. I seethere is a lot of dialog concerning the combination and most is good. I just joined this forum because I wanted to see what was available on the rifle. I am glad I stopped by. I also have a MKII FV and love that little gnat blaster. Most accurate .22 I have owned to present.

Now if I can find some ammo I will go pop off a few dozen rounds with the 308 and let y'all know how she shoots.

bow125106
11-01-2013, 04:28 PM
M852 shot 1/2" in mine tg first outing... I have rem match and hornady tap to try as well...

LoneWolf
11-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Atomic Nosler Custom Competition. 168gr BTHP surprisingly accurate and affordable for 308.

Hubcap91
11-01-2013, 06:48 PM
They are definitely shooters. I converted mine to an all metal bottom. If your interested in the part numbers let me know. As far as factory ammo goes mine tends to really really like 180gr Winchester Powerpoint. Welcome to the forum.

Texas Solo
11-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I bought the exact same rifle 3 weeks ago. $485 OTD. I replaced the base with a one piece, added some quality rings and a Vortex Viper 6-24x50. The rifle is stock other than the sight hardware.
I loaded some test rounds using Nosler CC 168's with Varget. 43.5 & 44.0 both produced sub MOA (.575 & .474) at 100yds.....from a brand new stock rifle! Over 44.0gr and the group opened up to 1.125", same result with charges lighter than 43.0. OAL is 2.800, CBTO is 2.230. (that's .010 off the lands on MY chamber, YMMV) Monday I'm going to test and chrono loads from 43.5 - 44.0 in .2 increments. I'll be loading some extra 44.0 rounds to get dope at 600yds, which I guess will be a +12moa on the scope.

to answer your direct questions:
no idiosyncrasies that I've found after 60 rounds
load data & accuracy results above (so far)

I did make one other change I forgot to mention...I added 1lb of weight to the buttstock. I took (3) six ounce fishing weights wrapped in an old cloth and stuffed it tight into the stock. I'm a small guy, and I could shoot this rifle all day. I did add a bipod, and have seen no ill effects. The stock is stiff enough to take it without issue.

Mine's a shooter for sure. Still playing with loads and will soon do the 600yd test. PM me if you want results. Hopefully we can save you some time and $$$.

kopfjaeger
11-02-2013, 09:58 PM
That sounds like some great results. I haven't had a chance to break mine in yet, been traveling. I'm thinking of adding some weight to the stock also just to help balance it out. I also need to order new optics as well.

hombre243
11-03-2013, 09:52 AM
New to the forum and just purchased a new 11vt in .308. New news as I shoot it some more...can't wait to get to the range. I love this rifle already. I will post some reloading info as that develops too.
h

Texas Solo
11-03-2013, 12:25 PM
That sounds like some great results. I haven't had a chance to break mine in yet, been traveling. I'm thinking of adding some weight to the stock also just to help balance it out. I also need to order new optics as well.

Given your criteria for a scope, and the budget, these might be your best bet:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/740823/millett-tactical-trs-1-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-16x-50mm-side-focus-green-illuminated-mil-dotbar-reticle-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458997/millett-tactical-trs-1-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-4-16x-50mm-side-focus-1-10-mil-adjustments-green-illuminated-mil-dotbar-reticle-matte

Good scopes for the $$$. I started with one of these on my first F/TR rifle, even won my first match with it. Eventually graduated to Vortex Vipers.

One of my Vipers is the PST model with FFP. Really nice scope, but the crosshairs are a bit thick at the upper end of the power range. I actually like the less expensive Viper PA SFP better.

kopfjaeger
11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
That is the one that has risen to the top of my short list of scopes.

Stockrex
11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
I haf the millet's in the links above, I am sending one back to them as the knob is sloppy. optics is good. Also, side focus is not preferred by many.