PDA

View Full Version : What the Hog Hunter really ought to be!

robertmegar
10-23-2013, 08:48 PM
Hello all. My Hog Hunter project is done! The end result is what Savage should do, IMHO, as a factory offering. Maybe add a model to their HH line.

http://i.imgur.com/J92Tt6ol.jpg

A quick description:
.308 Hog Hunter
Savage 114 Classic Compact stock
Accurate-Mag bottom metal (detachable magazine)
Warne Scope rings and bases
Nikon ProStaff 5, 2.5-10x BDC

After deer season, I am swapping the Nikon for a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x 20mm scope.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

Robert

Swanny297
10-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Like it, this is what I want only I want to stay synthetic on the stock situ looking for the right combination.

big honkin jeep
10-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Pretty sweet.
I'm digging the stock and detachable box features aesthetics but sure would hate to drop the mag inadvertently on a hunt or when walking with the rifle slung. That is an extended mag release hanging down isn't it? I'd kinda hate to ding up the wood too. I can be kinda hard on a hunting rig but for shoot house hunting it could work. Another improvement you may look into would be some Leupold QDR quick detach rings so you could use the irons if necessary.
Not trying to be a downer because I like the look and features, just not sure it would hold up to my hunting style, trying to give a little constructive critique. You're the one that's gotta be happy with it. Enjoy and let us know how she handles and shoots. That's what counts.
In my opinion the hog hunter as designed is a tough down and dirty hunting/utility rig. Your's has a little too much class for that.

wlleven
10-24-2013, 12:15 AM
Hello all. My Hog Hunter project is done! The end result is what Savage should do, IMHO, as a factory offering. Maybe add a model to their HH line.

http://i.imgur.com/J92Tt6ol.jpg

A quick description:
.308 Hog Hunter
Savage 114 Classic Compact stock
Accurate-Mag bottom metal (detachable magazine)
Warne Scope rings and bases
Nikon ProStaff 5, 2.5-10x BDC

After deer season, I am swapping the Nikon for a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x 20mm scope.

Thoughts? Questions? Suggestions?

Robert

That is really a bad boy for sure.

For me though the Hog Hunter as it as is perfect, it is as simple as simple can be, but I agree a super hog Hunter like you have would be a great seller for those who want the ultimate.

wll

robertmegar
10-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Pretty sweet.
.........That is an extended mag release hanging down isn't it?............Another improvement you may look into would be some Leupold QDR quick detach rings so you could use the irons if necessary..............Your's has a little too much class for that.

That mag release is looong. Made that way for fast 10rd mag exchange, which I don't need. I may cut and grind it down.

It does sport Warne Steel QD rings.

Class? Thanks!!! :eagerness:

I once saw a Surgeon Safari rifle by the man himself not just the action and was hooked but in reality I have no use for a .375 H&H. I then came up with the idea of a .308 compact rifle but with the "Safari" or "Express" look to it. Which the Hog Hunter, in its stock form kind of has it: Iron sights, med-heavy barrel and big bolt handle but lacks in the stock and detach mag (a personal preference though). And that's how my project started.

Rifleshooter308
10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Very nice classic look. Love the wood stock bro!

J.Baker
10-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Nice rig, but it would have been a lot easier (and cheaper) to just buy a 14 American Classic. The only thing you'd loose are the open sights and the threaded muzzle - neither of which you're using anyway.

LoneWolf
10-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Nice rig, but it would have been a lot easier (and cheaper) to just buy a 14 American Classic. The only thing you'd loose are the open sights and the threaded muzzle - neither of which you're using anyway.

Always raining on people's parades lol!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

robertmegar
10-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Actually you are wrong. I have an AAC SDN-6 suppressor waiting for ATF approval. Also, the American Classic barrel is not the same contour/length? As you said no iron sights on the Classic. As far as cheap, I could have bought a Ruger American on sale for cheap but how fun is that???