PDA

View Full Version : Question on newly pruchased Hog Hunter rifle in .308

308savageLS
10-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope someone can answer something for me. I was having a hard time sighting in this rifle the other day. I have bore sighted a Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 scope. After firing 20 rounds I could not hit the paper at 50 yards. I checked the scope and the mounts and everything was good and snug with nothing loose. I then noticed that the thread protector on end of the barrell was loose. Not real loose but it took 1 1/2 turns to get it tight again. My questions are 1. Did that loose thread protector affect my accuracy? (I am going to guess yes) and 2. Should I remove the thread protector when shooting the rifle? This is assuming I am not using a supressor, flash hider or muzzle brake. I am new to longer range rifle shooting with a scope so please execuse my lack of experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

308savageLS

stangfish
10-23-2013, 04:45 PM
1) No
2) No

Look up DIY bore sighting on Google. Bore sight at 25 yards with the barrel view about 1" below where the scope crosshairs are. You may have other issues however based on what you posted I would think that is priority number 1

DanSavage
10-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Keep thread protector tight and check often, if it loosens again, something is wrong. Your going to have to use a bigger target and shoot at 25 yards. Adjust the scope so your hitting dead center at 25 yards. If you can't get it zeroed at 25 yards, you will need Burris Signature Zee rings with the adjustable inserts to compensate for miss aligned base mounting screw holes on the receiver.

DanSavage
10-23-2013, 04:48 PM
1) No
2) No

Look up DIY bore sighting on Google. Bore sight at 25 yards with the barrel view about 1" below where the scope crosshairs are. You may have other issues however based on what you posted I would think that is priority number 1

You beat me barrel nut brother LOL.

308savageLS
10-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Thank you so much for the quick replies. This is good information that I will follow. I may have been a little impatient at the range with this being a new gun my excitment may have gotten the best of me. I am sure it will all work out.

Thank you!
308savageLS

CharlieNC
10-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds like another one is hooked!

wlleven
10-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope someone can answer something for me. I was having a hard time sighting in this rifle the other day. I have bore sighted a Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 scope. After firing 20 rounds I could not hit the paper at 50 yards. I checked the scope and the mounts and everything was good and snug with nothing loose. I then noticed that the thread protector on end of the barrell was loose. Not real loose but it took 1 1/2 turns to get it tight again. My questions are 1. Did that loose thread protector affect my accuracy? (I am going to guess yes) and 2. Should I remove the thread protector when shooting the rifle? This is assuming I am not using a supressor, flash hider or muzzle brake. I am new to longer range rifle shooting with a scope so please execuse my lack of experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

308savageLS

I was hoping to sit in my Hog Hunter Last week, but I will sight in this Friday. What ammo were you using, from every thing I have heard you should be able to do at least 1MOA

I will keep you posted on my rifle, it has a 1-3 power Weaver for 100-150 yds pig hunting, my 150 gr copper federal ammo is arriving on Friday,

I will sight this gun in with those and sight it in one mie time before I go pig hunting, it will be sighted in at about 2 inches
high at 100 and that is it.

That is more than I will ever need for what this rifle will be used for !

wll

big honkin jeep
10-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Kind of a pain but if this continues you may check the scope base screws. Sometimes they can bottom out in the hole against the barrel threads and will be tight in the hole without being tight against the base they are supposed to hold. This comes from the screw being just a hair too long or if the bases came with different lengths of screws the wrong screw being in the wrong hole. It usually isnt much play and can be hardly noticeable, that is unless your rifle wont shoot straight. The pain is that you'll probably have to take the scope off to check it. Just something else to check if everything else checks out OK.