PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling the bolt- problems

KTP
10-22-2013, 09:39 PM
I picked up a used rifle last weekend that wasnt bad, but wasnt all that clean. Had some kind of sticky oil on it. Anyway, all cleaned up but I cant get the screw out of the back of the bolt (I wanted to change the bolt handle). I've never had that problem and changed many. I'm wondering if some of the sticky oil has found its way in there. Anyone had that problem or ever had trouble with dissasembly? Its soaking in diesel fuel overnight. Ideas??

bootsmcguire
10-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Have you tried putting the bolt on the floor (carpet or rug) and putting the allen wrench in it and standing on it to break the BAS free?

geargrinder
10-22-2013, 10:02 PM
The technique that boots suggested worked for my with my first tough BAS. When it finally broke loose, it went with a literal "BANG". I thought I broke something because I had to put almost all of my weight on it and I'm not a little guy either.

It may help if you heat it up and spray it liberally with a good penetrating oil like kroil.

KTP
10-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Wow, No worries about damaging anything in the bolt body?

geargrinder
10-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Nope. Just to be clear, I'm 6'1"- 240lbs. I worried about stripping the allen wrench, but it held until it broke loose.

KTP
10-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I would have liked to have seen that geargrinder lol!! Thanks man! I better try this when nobody else is home!!!!

bootsmcguire
10-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Make sure you put on your sneakers, doing it bare/sock foot may not turn out so well, don't ask me how I know.

Also make sure you are putting the pressure correctly to loosen and not tighten.

Geargrinder, I am 6'-0" and 350lbs, and I had one so tight I started by standing on it with all my weight, then bouncing, and finally jumping on it before it broke free. Made sucha BANG when it popped the wife came down to the basement and started chewing on me until I explained what I was doing. Apparently she thought I had discharged a 22 in the basement.

handirifle
10-23-2013, 12:21 AM
WOW I have had some tight ones, but thankfully never that tight. Good read.

SlimySquirrel
10-23-2013, 12:44 AM
There are a couple of youtube vids showing how... both the ones I have done were very stiff. left them in the rifle for leverage...Makes sure its empty and unloaded... Wrench goes counter clockwise whilst pushing the bolt down...

fatphatboy88
10-23-2013, 01:14 AM
I had to put the bolt in a large vice with blocks of wood around mine and use a hex bit and 3/8" breaker bar with a cheater bar on it to break mine loose the first time.

keeki
10-23-2013, 04:57 AM
I do it the same way, put it on the floor and stand on it. Sometimes have to jump on it.lol

lee1000
10-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Try Kroil, that stuff works great.

I've used the floor method also and it worked.

cjfish
10-23-2013, 07:00 AM
OK newbie here but if it takes a "large" man to stand on it. What's the torque to put everything back together?

RP12
10-23-2013, 08:11 AM
OK newbie here but if it takes a "large" man to stand on it. What's the torque to put everything back together?Just snug.

BillPa
10-23-2013, 10:11 AM
I had to put the bolt in a large vice with blocks of wood around mine and use a hex bit and 3/8" breaker bar with a cheater bar on it to break mine loose the first time.

Same here.

For the older models with the slotted BAS a steel rule for a combination square is the perfect tool to loosen-tighten them. It fits the slot snug, being square it acts like a hollow ground screwdriver and is long enough to use both hands and put some "oomph" on it without bending.

What's the torque to put everything back together?

Its a grunt to a grunt and a half! Actually I set the allen wrench in at about a 45 to the bolt handle the squeeze them to together like a pliers.

Bill