PDA

View Full Version : Axis SR thread

Pages : 1 [2]

thomae
10-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Not gonna lie Lone Wolf, that stock was beautiful before being painted. I've seen 12 year olds make better camo on airsoft guns. Can you sand it down?To all forum members: Take heed of the following reminder: it's one thing to state that you don't care for something. We all have different tastes. However, turning your opinion into a personal attack or insult is not the way we work on this forum. Plus it's against the Forum rules.

Don't even think to tell me it's humor when there are no smilies or rhetorical clues to that effect within the post.

I'm letting this one go for now. Don't push it.

DMaldonado93
10-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Just order my axis sr in .308 yesterday just waiting for it to get here now. But any suggestions to a good compensator/ flash hider/ muzzle break/ what ever u prefer to call it? and has anybody had experience with the spikes tactical DynaComp? I know its for semi auto rifle but how about for a bolt gun?

beckherps
10-27-2013, 03:22 PM
DMaldonado93, I'm a new member to SavageShooters but have been shooting Savage for over 50 years. I too was concerned about a muzzle brake when I bought my .308 AXIS. I have a Dynacomp on my AR-10 (7.62x51) and it is primarily a flash suppressor, I wouldn't put it on a bolt gun. There's not much difference in the recoil with it on or off. I spoke with some pro circuit shooters at the Sportsman's Club and the recommended the Witt Machine. For your .308, which is a very light rifle, the Witt MB1 is perfect. I didn't have my barrel threaded so I bought the clamp-on model. It IS A COMPENSATOR! Just guessing, I'd say it reduced the recoil by about half or more. It's 416 stainless steel and has 5 ports. They have The range was pretty crowded when I put the first round through it and the shooters on the four benches on either side of me stopped shooting and asked me what I was shooting. It directs the gas out the sides and slightly to the rear a few degrees. It's the best $89 I've spent in a long while.

sentinelfour
10-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Just order my axis sr in .308 yesterday just waiting for it to get here now. But any suggestions to a good compensator/ flash hider/ muzzle break/ what ever u prefer to call it? and has anybody had experience with the spikes tactical DynaComp? I know its for semi auto rifle but how about for a bolt gun?
A muzzle brake is great to have on a bolt gun for many reasons. Reducing kick is one thing, but being able to see where you hit through the scope and remaining on target is a big plus. The purpose is to direct gases outwards, instead of straight in front. The most efficient design is the JP Howitzer, but it looks ridiculous. I have a Miculek brake on mine, it works great and looks good too.

On a semi-auto, brakes have even more benefits, like keeping you on target with rapid fire. My brother has a brake similar to my Miculek on his AR15, it also has ports on top, and it completely eliminates barrel rise.

Honestly that DynaComp will work fine, but there are more efficient designs for a lot less $. Brakes that send gases in all directions are not a good choice if you shoot laying on the ground, as dust will fly up. A good brake will make a .308 feel like a .223. My braked .223 feels like a .22WMR. The higher the pressure of the cartridge, the better a brake works. That's why they don't work on .22LRs, shotguns and handguns.

One thing though, is that brakes make guns louder, and anyone standing to the side of the gun will feel a lot more pressure from the blast. Some brakes even have ports that direct gases rearwards, and those are the worst for bystanders. At a range, it wouldn't be polite to shoot with something like that.

NicfromAlabama
11-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I stopped by the Class III dealer yesterday and decided to bite the bullet on a centerfire suppressor. I went with the Specwar 762 suppressor. It is a 30 caliber suppressor, but it is my understanding that it will work just about as well as a dedicated .223 suppressor. Plus, I might buy a .308 threaded rifle later, and the Specwar 762 will handle it all.

Is anyone running a suppressor on their Axis rifles? I am curious as to how the rifle will perform with a suppressor. I have a rimfire suppressor right now and my rifles actually group better with the suppressor on than without it. I am hoping the same thing will happen with the centerfire suppressor. It will probably be a looooong wait until I find out though. The dealer said that the ATF is being deluged with applications.

sentinelfour
11-09-2013, 04:16 PM
I stopped by the Class III dealer yesterday and decided to bite the bullet on a centerfire suppressor. I went with the Specwar 762 suppressor. It is a 30 caliber suppressor, but it is my understanding that it will work just about as well as a dedicated .223 suppressor. Plus, I might buy a .308 threaded rifle later, and the Specwar 762 will handle it all.

Is anyone running a suppressor on their Axis rifles? I am curious as to how the rifle will perform with a suppressor. I have a rimfire suppressor right now and my rifles actually group better with the suppressor on than without it. I am hoping the same thing will happen with the centerfire suppressor. It will probably be a looooong wait until I find out though. The dealer said that the ATF is being deluged with applications.To put it simply, lowering recoil lets you shoot with better foam (more consistent shot-to-shot) which directly affects accuracy. Shooting from a bench, probably wouldn't see a difference, but if the rifle in on a bipod or bags, then there should be a difference.