PDA

View Full Version : Considering which way to go with a single shot pistol..

MarTay6
10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi, All-
Newest member here- said 'Hi' in the newbie section and proceeded directly over here!
I've always been a fan of accurate, single shot target anythings... I have a Ruger Charger .22 I built up from all aftermarket parts, I'm building a Thompson Center Contender- starting with a frame I purchased on Gunbroker- have an MGM 14" .223 barrel on order- with the wood parts being made by Bullberry.... I perhaps might branch out into making the wood for this, as I'm a long-time woodworker. For now, I'm going aftermarket on the Contender.
However, as YOU all well know, a bolt action is a more accurate platform for a pistol than a break action- so I have migrated here.
Studying the 2 Savage options- Finding a Striker- or building one from a Savage Target action. I'd like to hear the plus's and minus' for either choice... also inputs of bolt side (left or right) for a right-handed shooter as it applies to a pistol. I'm considering something like a .223- since I already have 2 AR's and my T/C Contender will be barreled in .223, so that will keep me stocking less types of ammo... I am not as of yet a handloader, as I have just returned to shooting in the last year, but will probably end up there when I retire next year. Looking at a paper-puncher only off a bench, 100-200 yards. I guess I've asked enough questions to start with- I've already been digging through here, will continue to do so.
Thanks for any advice!
Wes

yorketransport
10-22-2013, 12:26 AM
I have pistols built off of both factory Striker actions and a target action. I have to say that I like the Strikers better because of the left bolt, right port. The Target action with a right bolt left port is great on a rifle, but not so much of an advantage for a right handed shooter as a handgun. I suppose that the ideal would be a left bolt, left port action.

I started out with the Contenders as well. Nothing wrong with them, but I just wanted more caliber options. I have seen some amazing groups shot out of Contenders and Encores, but it required a lot more attention to headspace when loading the ammo. The bolt action pistols are a more straight forward process when loading for accuracy IMHO.

Andrew

Rupe
10-22-2013, 05:26 AM
Welcome Wes, I bought a Striker in .308win. about 2 years ago and I love it. I now have a .234win. barrel that I made from a take off rifle barrel. Takes about 15 min. to change barrels and set headspace and yoj have.a new caliber Striker. I hope to pick up a .270win. takeoff barrel next month. Having a Striker is like have.several handguns, it's Great! I hope to build one from a target action one of these days. I would go with left hand bolt as well. Makes it easy to put in another round without changing your hand on the grip everytime you load a shell.
You can pick up a Striker for a lot less then building one out of a target action.
I paid $525.00 for mine which is a model 516 (Stainless steel, Muzzle Brake, Blk. Syn. stock,)
It was used of course and was in exellent shape. Reloading is the only way to go. You can get into it pretty cheap buying LEE's anneversary kit and a couple of other things to go along with it. I have had my Lee kit for approx. 20 years and it's gping strong and I like it better then my RCBS outfit.
Any way you can almost always find a Striker for sale online. Any where from $400 on up.
Welcome to the sight and hopefully to the world of Strikers! Buy the way retirement is great and goes with Strikers.and reloading better then peanut butter goes with jelly!
If you have.any question feel free to ask me or anyone else with a Striker. Great.guys on here.
Rupe

snowgetter1
10-22-2013, 09:29 AM
I love the Striker's left bolt handle too. I also prefer the center-grip of the factory Striker.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-22-2013, 10:07 AM
I'am a big fan of the Reminmgton XP 100 but I don't care for the right bolt setup. (The XP is a natural for a lefty) Decided to try a Savage left hand rifle repeater action with a single shot follower. (I'am right handed) Seems only natural to shoot right handed, work the bolt and feed ammo with your "free" left hand?
Started out with a ambi left hand rifle stock. Shot it right handed. I like it so much I built a right hand thumbhole rifle stock with the left hand action. My right hand stays in the thumbhole for control and ammo feeding, bolt operation is left handed.
Picked up a rear grip pistol stock, plugged the right hand bolt handle cut and moved it to the left side.
Right hand stays in control the stock and feeding, bolt operation is done with my "free" left hand. Couldn't get more natural.
Only problem with the Striker action is you have to reach across to feed ammo with the right port or take your right hand off the stock? (if you're right handed)
And the BATF states if the OAL of the rig is at least 26" long and the barrel is at least 16" long, it's still classed as a rifle. That's why I built off the lefty rifle action. My lefty action also serves as my switch barrel rig from pistol to rifle. And being a Savage, it can be just about any caliber you want.

DaveC
10-22-2013, 04:04 PM
I shoot a Striker in 7BR, a Target Action based pistol in 30BR and an xp-100 also in 7BR. The striker has two advantages 1) left bolt (I also use a single shot follower and load from the left) and weight. The Target Action is much heavier with a larger receiver, larger barrel shank and no magazine cutout. The advantage of the Target Action is trigger. The Striker is much better overall if changed to rear grip and any other trigger. I shoot both but like the Striker day in and day out.

Oh, I forgot the Striker is MUCH cheaper than a build from scratch.

Appleseed
11-22-2013, 08:39 AM
Call Effie Sullivan at the factory custom shop and ask about a left bolt/left port 10 series action. New, undesignated, they may be available as single shot, mine had a mag. You have to buy it via ffl/dealer. Took less than 60 days to ship after order. It's still going to be a rear grip.

I prefer the mid grip as well, but stock options are few.

Rupe
11-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Ya just got to Love Savage for the ease of swapping and switching you can do!
Got the .270win. barrel, now to cut it, crown it, mount it, head space it, and SHOOT IT!
Rupe

markb317
11-24-2013, 05:17 PM
I have shot with a few guys at a local shoot that are very good with their pistols built on Savage bolt action. They are hitting steel at 990 yds.