PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon superformance data

Pages : [1] 2

*tim*
10-20-2013, 10:11 PM
I was at my local shop and they didnt have the powder I was looking for but did have the hornady superformance made by hodgdon. When I bought ammo I bought hornady 180gr superformance so if I could get around the same numbers from reloaded ammo it would be great. However I can't find any reloading data. I was going to order hornady's manual but read it didn't have any info on the powder. Also looked on hodgdons website and couldn't find anything. I'm shooting 300 win mag btw

stangfish
10-20-2013, 11:09 PM
What cartridge, The Hodgdon reloading data page has some for 243, 22-250, 280, 30-06, 300WSM plus a couple of others that I saw.

*tim*
10-20-2013, 11:14 PM
180gr 300 win mag

stangfish
10-20-2013, 11:23 PM
this is all there is
http://hodgdon.com/PDF/SuperLever.pdf

Ask them Hodgdon 913-362-9455

*tim*
10-20-2013, 11:26 PM
How much difference between the win mag and short mag

stangfish
10-20-2013, 11:31 PM
http://www.pseco.com.au/images/300%20WSM%20&%20FAMILY%20named.jpg

*tim*
10-20-2013, 11:52 PM
I was asking more about if the data was interchangeable at all. I know its prooly a dumb question but I'm new to this

J.Baker
10-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Most factory loads use proprietary powder blends that aren't available to us mere mortals. This is why it's typically impossible to match today's top factory ammo velocities with handloads. You can get close, say within 150-200fps or so, but generally that's about it unless you're really pushing the pressure envelope.

davemuzz
10-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Tim, the Superformance powder that is used for the 300 Mag is a DIFFERENT Superformance powder than the one used for the 300 Short Mag. Yes.....it's true. That's why when you go to the referenced reloading site, you will ONLY see the Superformance reloading data for the 300 short mag. You will not see it for the 300 mag.

And Hodgdon nor Hornady will provide you with any data. Well, you can't buy the Superformance powder they use in your factory 300 mag anyway....so it's a moot point.

So....don't buy any Superformance powder to reload your 300 mag. Because you can't use it anyway.

Dave

jwrowland77
10-23-2013, 07:46 AM
I was asking more about if the data was interchangeable at all. I know its prooly a dumb question but I'm new to this

No, you can't interchange the data between 300WM and 300WSM. Not a safe practice at all.

One time though I wanted to use a 154gr RN in my 7mm RM with IMR4350 and couldn't find the data for it, so I emailed Hornady. Two days later they sent me the load data for it. Min and max. You MIGHT be able to get load data from your bullets manufacture....maybe. It doesn't hurt to try any way. Worst case, you're right where you are now with no load data for Superperformance in the 300WM.

Rupe
10-23-2013, 11:23 PM
I contacted Hornady and the warned me against using Superformance factory loads in my Savage saying that they were not strong enough, but to contact Savage and ask them. So then I contacted Savage and they saix that they do not recommend superformance factory loads in their guns.
Bummer! That's a bit scary!
I'm shooting a Sav. Striker 516 ss .308win. But they didn't specify striker they said their guns.
Rupe

*tim*
10-24-2013, 12:07 AM
I contacted Hornady and the warned me against using Superformance factory loads in my Savage saying that they were not strong enough, but to contact Savage and ask them. So then I contacted Savage and they saix that they do not recommend superformance factory loads in their guns.
Bummer! That's a bit scary!
I'm shooting a Sav. Striker 516 ss .308win. But they didn't specify striker they said their guns.
Rupe

Superformance is about all I've shot out of my savage

Rupe
10-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Ya it was kind of..strange. This was with the 168 gr .gmx bullet but I didn't tell them that. They just recommended not to shoot them sue to pressures. So both companys said not to. They recommended the amax or the Tap rounds. Now why would I use a self self defense bullet for hunting? I would.think that if your not seeing signs of high pressure what the.heck??
Rupe

davemuzz
10-24-2013, 06:21 AM
The whole idea of the factory Superformance powder was to achieve 150fps faster velocities than standard powders, yet not increase pressures over the maximum SAMI standards now established. So, if you shoot factory ammo now, then you can certainly shoot factory Superformance factory ammo.

However, if you handload you can handload the Superformance powders ONLY in those calibers that Hodgdon has listed as those specific calibers will remain at or below the SAMI pressures IF YOU USE THE LOAD DATA PROVIDED BY HODGDON. If you use Superformance powder for any other cartridge…..then your on your own.

Dave

Rupe
10-24-2013, 09:14 AM
That would have been nice if they had past on that bit of info. to me. But like I said that's what both companies said. I'm just passing on info. I got from them. I didn't ask about their powder other then who was handling to for the buyers.
Rupe

Rupe
10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Like I said Strange! It must be a totally different thing when using theeir powder vs. using their factory loads. .
Rupe

darkker
10-26-2013, 11:30 PM
I would.think that if your not seeing signs of high pressure what the.heck??
Rupe
Your highly calibrated brass cases and primers "not showing pressure signs" isn't saying much. Sticky bolts, etc; the "Classic" pressure signs typically show-up near most brasses tensil strength rating.... Meaning approaching 70,000psi.

Superformance powder that you may buy, is not what is used in the superformance ammo.

davemuzz
10-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Well….I'm kind of perplexed that Savage would tell you not to use the Superformance factory loads in their firearms. I mean….if a modern day Savage isn't up to SAMI specs for pressure….then what pressure limits can they take?

That statement they made to you makes no sense to me. I'm not saying they didn't make that statement to you….I'm just saying it doesn't make any sense at all.

And if this were the case, and the Hornady Superformance factory ammo were somehow dangerous in a Savage rifle, then why wouldn't this information be on their web site and advertised by Savage?

Dave

Of course…..maybe it's because their "Partners" as listed on their web site are "Alliant Powders" and "Federal Premium" ammo…..and not Hodgdon powders nor Hornady ammo.

Maybe marketing? Ya think?

thermaler
10-27-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm holding a can of superformance powder in my hand as I write this. The thing the jumps out to me is that the intended calibers/use is for extreme high-velocity loads. I would hazard a guess it has not so much to do with "appropriateness of SAAMI pressures" as it is the design of the cartridge/weapon. My guess is if your weapon isn't designed to push routinely at 3400 or better this is not the powder for it.

I've shot gobs of superformance Hornady 308 ammo--so I'm also hazarding a guess that hornady has it's own special formalization that enables them to get stability for better performance across more calibers than a reloader could--but that's purely an uneducated guess.

northernexposure
10-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Myself, I bought a pound of the Superformance powder simply because of the powder shortage and my need for MORE POWDER. Honestly, I was less than impressed with the results on my larger caliber (300WSM). Doesn't mean it's a bad powder, my .243 loves it. If only I could find my beloved H4350 powder!