PDA

View Full Version : Any other Alaskan Brush Hunters out there?

mzam
10-19-2013, 08:39 PM
Who sports the Alaskan Brush Hunter? I'm enjoying the 375 Ruger in this compact leadslinger. Looking to do a few modifications to make it even more 'brown bear unfriendly'.

wlleven
10-19-2013, 10:56 PM
I have a Hog Hunter, and have added a Cooley Muzzle break, a redesigned SKS sling, a Weaver 1-3 Classic scope, Leopold low Quick Detachable rings and Weaver mounts.

Living in Kalifornia I must use copper bullets so I have those.

Since you are in a state where men and women are free I would assume you would use some heave bonded bullet. I would though go for a low power scope and sight in the rifle with iron sights first.

The only thing you don't have is a muzzle break, and using your calibers, I don't know if I could handle the recoil !

wll

mzam
10-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I use the 270 grain spire point from Hornaday. Up to now I've carried it without a scope but have been talked into trying a low-power scope to extend the hunting day.

The Accutrigger went berzerk on me and the gun went back to Savage. They are sending a replacement gun as soon as it comes off the line but they said that could be weeks. One thing I plan to do is replace the trigger with a Timney, not because of the problem I had but for better piece of mind out where it counts most. I shouldn't have to think about how 'straight' I pull the trigger when that brownie is in full charge. I just need results and the gun is capable of delivering results.

Yeah, it kicks, but that's its way of letting me know the job is getting done. The 270 Win I'm using in the mean time is a popgun next to this.

The stainless barrel and synthetic stock are perfect for the area. Most years we see 180" of rain annually, we had over 200" each of the last two years. That's one reason I stuck with open sights till now. Very often I'm in heavy brush with less than 10 yards of sight distance to work with. The short frame is very easy to pack and swing as needed.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll look into the break.

mzam

wlleven
10-20-2013, 09:52 PM
I use the 270 grain spire point from Hornaday. Up to now I've carried it without a scope but have been talked into trying a low-power scope to extend the hunting day.

The Accutrigger went berzerk on me and the gun went back to Savage. They are sending a replacement gun as soon as it comes off the line but they said that could be weeks. One thing I plan to do is replace the trigger with a Timney, not because of the problem I had but for better piece of mind out where it counts most. I shouldn't have to think about how 'straight' I pull the trigger when that brownie is in full charge. I just need results and the gun is capable of delivering results.

Yeah, it kicks, but that's its way of letting me know the job is getting done. The 270 Win I'm using in the mean time is a popgun next to this.

The stainless barrel and synthetic stock are perfect for the area. Most years we see 180" of rain annually, we had over 200" each of the last two years. That's one reason I stuck with open sights till now. Very often I'm in heavy brush with less than 10 yards of sight distance to work with. The short frame is very easy to pack and swing as needed.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I'll look into the break.

mzam

Man alive that sounds like the perfect Alaskan bolt action rifle, without spending an arm and a leg !

wll

paul90
10-27-2013, 10:34 AM
---

tammons
10-27-2013, 01:51 PM
I did not have that exact gun but I had a Savage control feed action with a 22" 375 Ruger barrel with a Duramax stock.
Loaded 270 gr TSX bullets over RL15 and I did not think the recoil was that bad. I think RL17 will get you more FPS.

Also loaded some 225 gr hornadies and thought the recoil was more harsh.

tammons
10-27-2013, 01:57 PM
I have the Alaskan Brush Hunter in 338 win mag for moose in Canada. Need to modify the gun though as the blind mag is to slow to load in the field. Looking for a affordable way to modify it for dbm. The gun shoots great though. Had a hard time getting components to reload so only could get a box of factory shells Remington Ultra core lokt 225 gr psp for the hunting season. Only shot two shot groups to line it up to save shells, it shoot two rounds through the same hole at 100 yards and the other group was two through a nickel. Can't wait to work up a load for it. Only drawback with the gun for me is the blind mag.paul90

PTG is going to be releasing new bottom metal for AICS magazines for Savage. They are already listed on midwayusa but not available yet.

$110 for the bottom metal that is supposed to fit in a hinged floor plate stock (I think) with minor fitting. The AICS mags are expensive and only available for 223, 308 and 300 WM but I think the 300 winmag would probably work for 338 mag. The 5 round winmag magazine is $90 and the 10 rounder is $125.

Or you could go with a factory DBM setup which hold 3 rounds. Thats what I did but I have an older Action so I got a side button release setup.

paul90
10-27-2013, 03:31 PM
---

mzam
10-29-2013, 09:38 PM
OK, now there is something I can use. I can remedy the trigger, the sights are good but a low power scope might be worth a try but a cure for the blind magazine. That is my real beef. I would not have thought to look for an alternative. Appreciate that tip for sure.

tammons
10-29-2013, 10:02 PM
I am for sure going to be buying one of the PTG bottom metal AICS mag setups.
Where I hunt there is no limit on magazine capacity but no growlers.

I surely would not want a blind magazine with only 3 in the gun up in AK.

mzam
10-30-2013, 12:04 AM
If it's the right three it ain't so bad.

paul90
11-02-2013, 10:41 PM
---

tammons
11-02-2013, 11:26 PM
The Centerfeed internal magazines are a bit of a PIA to load.

External drop Magazines - easy yes just carry two.
Yes easier to load out of the rifle.

Where I hunt there are a lot of hogs so we ride around a lot.
I had AR15's I used to ride around with so easy to unload and reload, IE you cant ride around on highways with a loaded gun or rounds in a magazine in the gun.

Later I decided I liked bolt action rifles better so started using my savages.

I personally think I can shoot them better.

At any rate I already had 2 Savages both with internal mags.
It took about 1-2 trips riding around to different fields, scouting, trying to load and unload an internal mag and I was Here looking for a DBM for my main rifle.

Best thing I ever did for that rifle, but I would like a 10 round mag, which I will have soon, although it will be expensive if I go PRI.

I just picked up a 10 round magazine for our Remington 742 for $30, but not sure how it is going to feed in that gun.

It looks fairly close to a Savage magazine as far as fit and I think with some cutting and bending here and there I might be able to get it to work.

paul90
11-03-2013, 09:15 AM
---

tammons
11-03-2013, 10:29 AM
>So did you go with the factory bottom metal?

Yes, bought a complete setup here, stock, bottom metal and magazine.

>I was leaning towards AICS style dbm.

Yes me too but its a bit expensive. IE I would like to have magnum 5 and 10 round magazines and just those two magazines will cost over $200.

>I have a blind mag stock and was going to have to do some cutting and carving already to make it dbm. From what I read here you can't get a better mag than aics for dependability.

I have never actually used an AICS magazine so others will have to comment, but everything I have read about them states they are top notch. I cant comment on how they would feed a 375 Ruger though but I dont see why they would not work with some tweaking.

If you want a factory DBM, Instead of cutting up your stock, just buy the complete package here, IE stock, bottom metal and magazine. That is what I did and it cost a tad over $100. Maybe ebay too. I missed one on ebay the other day less the magazine for cheap, like 20 something $.

>So your saying the blind mag doesn't get much easier to load with time.

Wont get easier in my Opinion. Stagger feed internal is not bad, but centerfeed the mag lips are really tight.

>We hunt off ATVs and pick-ups for moose in Canada, we have to travel with the guns unloaded. A mag would sure speed up load time.

Yup, sounds like you need a DBM.

For a AICS system it will cost me between $350 and $450 without the stock with 2 magazines, so I think I am goung to try and modify this Remington 750 magazine to fit my savage.

Before I go with a AICS system I am going to try to get one of these Remington 750 magazines to work. It fits my rifle almost perfectly end to end and width. The upper lip area will have to be modified, because it does not slide far enough in. Will need a tab on one side for the button release setup.

This is what it looks like just jammed into the stock. Its probably going to need a flange like the factory magazine, but I think I will try one.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/MISC/remmag1_zpsa85040f3.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/tammons3/media/MISC/remmag1_zpsa85040f3.jpg.html)

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/MISC/remmag2_zpsfbc5e73f.jpg (http://s195.photobucket.com/user/tammons3/media/MISC/remmag2_zpsfbc5e73f.jpg.html)

paul90
11-03-2013, 10:53 AM
---

tammons
11-03-2013, 11:50 AM
>So your rifle is a staggerfeed side button release.

Yes but I bought just the CF action. I had it in a internal mag stock for years then bought the entire DBM setup here.
The DBM actions have a bit of material removed from the lower part of the slot which I decided not to do. I banged filed and trimmed until I got the bottom metal to fit my action. Also had to work on the mag a bit too. Wish I would have just dremeled the action instead, but it works.

>Nice stock.

Thanks - Texture painted dark gray the fusion paint tan and olive applied with a rough sea sponge.
Nice grip-able finish.

>Still deciding what option to go, factory dbm will cost about 2/3-3/4 the cost of aics system by the time I get it to Canada.

How about just buying one up there ? The one I found on ebay less the mag was super cheap like less than $30.

>I had a rem 7400 30-06 clip I thought might work, but it won't hold more than 3 338 win mags. I am used to a gun holding 5 rounds, so I think I might just spend the money on the AI mags and mag well,

How about a 10 round remington mag with a block in it ?

>further up on the forum someone talked about a PTG bottom metal coming out in a month or so for LA savages for $129, that would be a good deal.

That was me I think. I just ran into that on the PTG site, but its $130 for that and $90 for each 5 round mag and $125 for the 10 rounder.

In my case I am not sure the PTG bottom metal will fit since I have a stagger feed. Nobody at PTG will answer my question. If not the only other option is the CDI bottom metal at $210.

>This rifle was more of a backup or long range rifle, my moose rifle for years has been a Remington 7600 pump in 308 win. It shoots 1 inch groups or sometimes better. It is great for running moose, or multiple moose, you can get controlled shots out of a pump nearly as fast as a semi-auto. The 338 win mag would be the one to reach for over 200 yards for sure though.
Let me know how your build works, when I get the parts and the money together I'll let you know about my build.[/QUOTE]

First thing I will try is the Remington magazine. Its so close, for $30 its worth a try.

tammons
11-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Remington 750 LA magazine - is very close for 30-06 shells and should not be that hard to adapt for the side button setup for 30-06 based shells.
Cant run over 3.34 COL though.

The ridge is designed tight for 30-06 based shoulder. For magnum, at least 7mm the ridge is too far back and the step in the back of the magazine is catching the rear of the magnum shell.

I smoothed out the step in the back on the inside, various cuts and bends here and there and will probably have to rework the spring.

I think I can get it to work as a centerfeed with 7mm magnum shells so more modifications - LOL.

Had to trim the lips about 1/16 of an inch or so and do a lot of tweaking.

Will cut the tab that locks it in the very last thing to make sure its in the right place.

Should hold about 6 magnum shells.