PDA

View Full Version : SSS Trigger question

tammons
10-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Sear sets only with the safety on fire.

Will not set the sear on half safety which is a PIA, IE like when I loaded a shell in the hunting stand last year and did not realize it
was on half safety and the sear did not set, so you know what happened when I pulled the trigger.

Nothing.

In the trigger the part that moves is sort of locked in under the trigger when on half safety.
I can get it to work if I loosen up the safety adjustment screw too much.

I have had this trigger for a long time and could swear I had it set up so that it set the sear on half safety before, but now for some reason I cant figure it out. That may have been on another action though. I have had it on several.

Right now it is on an older flat back.

JW
10-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Does the safety have a set screw in the bar? I am talking about a one piece safety like on the stevens
If so that might be a little out of adjustment
Only other thing I would do is start over setting the trigger from the start per the instructions
Someone will chime in with some help
I hope you get it going
Jack

tammons
10-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Yes if I remember right it does have a ride height screw in the bar.

Thanks. I will fiddle with that. Thats probably it.

tammons
10-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Nope thats not it.

tammons
10-19-2013, 08:06 PM
After thinking about it some more if it will make past the trigger part that engages on half safety ti will also fire on half safety so maybe I am not remembering correctly.

How does the factory trigger work on half safety ??

BillPa
10-19-2013, 08:34 PM
How does the factory trigger work on half safety ??

Safety on, bolt unlocked. I have two FB SA actions with SSS triggers and they work in all three positions the same as with the factory triggers.

Bill

P057
10-24-2013, 11:49 PM
Sear sets only with the safety on fire.

Will not set the sear on half safety which is a PIA, IE like when I loaded a shell in the hunting stand last year and did not realize it
was on half safety and the sear did not set, so you know what happened when I pulled the trigger.

Nothing.

In the trigger the part that moves is sort of locked in under the trigger when on half safety.
I can get it to work if I loosen up the safety adjustment screw too much.

I have had this trigger for a long time and could swear I had it set up so that it set the sear on half safety before, but now for some reason I cant figure it out. That may have been on another action though. I have had it on several.

Right now it is on an older flat back.

Wow now I know why my rifle did that on a hunt. Came up on an elk an nothing. Took a minute to figure it out. Tried it on a friends rifle and it cocked in the half safe position. I was confused until now.

Corey

tammons
10-25-2013, 12:05 AM
I have owned Savages for about 10 years now and last year was the first time that happened.
Now I think I will work the bolt as recommended. Safety off, lift bolt, Safety on then cycle it.

I also took a sharpie and added a mark on the side of my stock so I can see if the side lever is in the cocked position.

I got the deer but I was pretty worked up after I finally got a shot off.
At first I thought I had the safety on when I pulled the trigger. Worked safety, squeezed again nothing, Worked the bolt then of course ejected a loaded round etc etc.

Maybe its just the SSS trigger. I need to install my old trigger and check that out.

bodywerks
10-25-2013, 03:46 AM
Sounds like some of the internal components might be sticking? Wouldn't hurt to douse the assembly in lighter fluid, blow it out with compressed air, and lightly lube it again with lighter fluid. Also check to make sure the bolt that goes through it and the trigger bracket isn't too tight.
But come to think of it, you may be doing something wrong in your safety process. I can tell you with a good bit if certainty that neither the sss nor the factory accutrigger will cock in the half safety position if the trigger was in the fired position. Putting it in half safety after firing puts the trigger back into sear engagement position and locks it there. Since the sear was tripped it is behind the sear catch on the trigger and with the trigger locked it can't come forward.
The correct way to enter half safety is to lift the bolt and draw it back, then go to half safety, insert round, and cycle bolt closed.

tammons
10-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Not sticking. The round part on that trigger assembly that clears the trigger wont clear on half safety. The only way it will clear on half safety is if the full safety is set too loose. If I remember right the factory trigger does not do this. I will have to set fred an email.

The Savage manual says to put the safety on fire, lift the bolt only then put the safety on full safety then finish cycling the bolt. The safety ends up on half safety.

bodywerks
10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
It's impossible to have it stay in full safety the way you describe. The bolt handle has a cam lip on it that pushes the safety forward into half safety as you close the bolt. It cannot go back into full safety on its own. You have to do that manually.

bodywerks
10-25-2013, 09:53 AM
I am behind my rifle right now. My rifle acts exactly the same as yours, which is as intended.
If I fire by pulling the trigger, then activate half safety, then cycle the bolt and take it off safety nothing happens, for reasons I mentioned in my first post. This is normal.
Then I did the fire, lift bolt, then full safety, then lock bolt into battery. The safety moves to the half safety position, for reasons I mentioned in my second post.
Me thinks the only thing wrong here is how you are setting the safety. You can't set the safety between firing and lifting the bolt. You have to lift the bolt first. And you can't expect it to stay in full safety after setting the bolt into battery. It will only go half safety(which is still safe, the rifle won't fire - the trigger is locked). If you want full safety after locking into battery you have to do that manually.

tammons
10-25-2013, 09:55 AM
I am in agreement with you.

The original questions was that I thought this rifle or one of my savage rifles would set the sear on half safety, but I guess I am mistaken.

At least that is what I thought I remembered. In all these 10 years I have never had a fail to fire like that, but maybe all that time I was cycling with the safety fully off but I could swear I could set the sear on this rifle on half safety. Now thinking about it, it seems like that was with the factory trigger.

This is an older flat back.

Maybe I will set it back up with the factory trigger just to satisfy my curiosity.

bodywerks
10-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Think about it. What's the point in setting the safety on a fired trigger?
It's simple. Just remember to not set the safety until after lifting the bolt.

tammons
10-25-2013, 10:09 AM
I know what you are saying but I just thought I remembered the sear setting on half safety - Thats all.
Not a big deal.

bodywerks
10-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Made a video to make sure we're understanding each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofBapAPc-bU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Maybe you could get your other rifle to do it like you said, but I think it was a fluke, not the norm...

tammons
10-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Nice video and thanks.

I am 99% sure with the factory trigger in this old flatback the sear sets at half safety so maybe maybe Savage made a change for safety reasons later on.

Right now my other newer accutrigger rifle is up in Ga so I cant get to it to check out.

Read Coreys comment above.
Apparently his friends rifle will also set the sear on half safety.

Not that it matters at all, just an observation I was curious about and wondering if I had a brain fart or what.

I will install my old trigger later to make sure I am not crazy and just imagining this - LOL.

>>

"Wow now I know why my rifle did that on a hunt. Came up on an elk an nothing. Took a minute to figure it out. Tried it on a friends rifle and it cocked in the half safe position. I was confused until now.

Corey"

bodywerks
10-25-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm building a hunting rifle right now that will have the accutrigger. I'll check it as well when it's assembled