PDA

View Full Version : headspacing magnum barrel

idahoorion
10-19-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi knowledgeable barrel nuts,

is the process the same as non magnums that headspace on the shoulder. I am thinking of replacing a 7mmrm barrel and would like to do it myself. for sure I know the headspace gauge for the mag uses the belt and thus my question.

thanks

Idahoorion

brtelec
10-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Yes it headspaces on the belt. You can use the same magnum headspace gauge on all common size belted magnums that share the same bolt head size. The headspacing process is identical to standard headspacing.

bythebook
10-19-2013, 04:39 PM
That seems to be the standard and easiest way to do it. I have put together several 7 mm Rem. , 3 or 4 300 Win. mag. and a 300 ultra and did it with a resized case and set the head space from the shoulder. The brass seems to last longer and they are accurate.

idahoorion
10-20-2013, 09:10 AM
So, Bythebook, I hear you saying you just turned the barrel in till it rubs and then tighten down with the nut and add tape to base for a no go like a non belted case?

thanks Idahoorion

That seems to be the standard and easiest way to do it. I have put together several 7 mm Rem. , 3 or 4 300 Win. mag. and a 300 ultra and did it with a resized case and set the head space from the shoulder. The brass seems to last longer and they are accurate.

bythebook
10-20-2013, 11:03 AM
That is roughly the way I do it. I use a new case or a 1x fired case sized and put it in the barrel. Then close the bolt and screw the barrel on until it is solid against the bolt to make sure it depressing the ejector. Then back it off enough to be able to turn the bolt. After this I take the case out and put 2 layers of tape on case and trim the edges even with it, put it back in and try to close bolt. If it closes a little about 1/2 inch with some pressure I finish tightening the barrel. I have done this with magnum and nonmagnum guns a lot . To check it take it out side and run a factory round through it. I have checked a few of the guns I have done this way with gages and haven't had any problem.

wbm
10-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Sent you a PM.