PDA

View Full Version : Pay for classifieds, really!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

emmagator
10-18-2013, 09:48 AM
I'll probably get some bashing for this, especially since I'm new to the forum, but oh well.

What is the deal with having to be a paying member to use classifieds? That is lame! I'm a member of almost a dozen hunting and auto forums and this is the first one I've run into that requires you to be a paying member to use the classified section.

Don't tell me it's to keep the forum up and running. There are thousands of forums that do just fine without requiring a membership!

With interchangeability of savages barrel design, i think a lot of non-paying members and paying members are missing out on a great source for barrels and other parts.

Rant over! Thanks

keeki
10-18-2013, 10:09 AM
If they're missing out, just pay for the membership and they won't miss out. Keeps scams and bots off the classifieds also

foxx
10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
I do not know how or what other forums do what they do.

I do know this is an excellent forum, well worth the $15 fee for using it as a place to buy and sell used parts.

Kinda like having to pay to go to a "ski swap" or a gun show. There is a fee, but that's okay with me because it is also fun, entertaining and educational.

Most of the participants are cool, too.

Welcome to the forum.

wbm
10-18-2013, 10:14 AM
I do know this is an excellent forum, well worth the $15 fee for using it as a place to buy and sell used parts.

Second that.

big honkin jeep
10-18-2013, 10:17 AM
It helps keep out those wishing to take advantage of members. It also helps keep out a large portion of other wishy washy types and let's those who use it know they are dealing witth someone who is serious enough about Savages to become a paying member. It's actually a great deal and one can usually save enough on a single transaction to make it worth their while. Sadly during the current hard times my membership has lapsed but it has worked well for members here for quite a while. I can't think of a good enough reason to change a system that's working.

David13
10-18-2013, 10:44 AM
I sure don't see a problem with it.
No where does it say anyone has to provide a free service for you or anyone else.
Nobody twists your arm.
dc

223 4 me
10-18-2013, 11:51 AM
In three short months as a member on this forum I have learned for free..........a) Found out where a 1 mile range 60 miles from my door is. b) Based on other members reviews purchased a scope, two stocks, picc. rail, and two trigger groups. c) Fixed a failure on a extractor claw with a 12 hour Kroil soak. d) Learned how to install my third Mcgowen barrel. e) Bought my first reload kit and found out the best loads for said kit. And thats just what comes to mind right now. I consider the $15 a co pay to hang out with all the other Savage dudes.

Appleseed
10-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Welcome, you will find this to be a calm, funny, entertaining, worthwhile site...I am sure it's because many are paid members. I joined in 2007 (?) and have rarely seen bashing, and I have asked some stupid questions to be sure. Go to those free forum classifieds and watch low or 1st time posters sell. I got fooled on another site by one of them, he's never contributed in anyway since. It can't be cheap for the owner to run considering both his time and hosting fees. I have met only one member in person, however, jethro may be in jail by now; you will find most everyone you pm will answer your questions and be happy to help.

The other site I visit...sent the owner some doe just because he does a good job and wish it was paid members classified too.

foxx
10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Welcome, you will find this to be a calm, funny, entertaining, worthwhile site...I am sure it's because many are paid members. I joined in 2007 (?) and have rarely seen bashing, and I have asked some stupid questions to be sure. Go to those free forum classifieds and watch low or 1st time posters sell. I got fooled on another site by one of them, he's never contributed in anyway since. It can't be cheap for the owner to run considering both his time and hosting fees. I have met only one member in person, however, jethro may be in jail by now; you will find most everyone you pm will answer your questions and be happy to help.

The other site I visit...sent the owner some doe just because he does a good job and wish it was paid members classified too.

Just curious...

Was Jethro from this site or maybe another? :)

stomp442
10-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Sounds to me like you got a dozen other places to buy and sell stuff. This site is well worth the small fee and is by far my favorite forum to hang out on.

EFBell
10-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I've been on this forum for 10 years. I can remember maybe two instances of people having real problems with sales on the classifieds. I believe one of those instances was resolved satisfactorily. How many sites do you know of that can match a record like that?

emmagator
10-18-2013, 04:42 PM
I've been on this forum for 10 years. I can remember maybe two instances of people having real problems with sales on the classifieds. I believe one of those instances was resolved satisfactorily. How many sites do you know of that can match a record like that?
I am part of several forums, and have never had an issue purchasing or selling items. That is why transaction feedback is so important. It is the buyers/sellers duty to do their homework on prospective transactions.

fgw_in_fla
10-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I am part of several forums, and have never had an issue purchasing or selling items. That is why transaction feedback is so important. It is the buyers/sellers duty to do their homework on prospective transactions.

I think they take WIC & SNAP cards for payment here, too....

Inquire within.

keeki
10-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

fgw_in_fla
10-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I nominate Keeki's post for "Most thought out & creative" post this month.
I think the award is $15 or a years free membership.

keeki
10-18-2013, 05:57 PM
I kinda like the wic and snap card post myself.lol

emmagator
10-18-2013, 06:11 PM
I think your missing the point of my thread. It has nothing to do with how much the membership costs . It has to do with needing a membership in the first place!

keeki
10-18-2013, 06:19 PM
No, I think your missing the point. We (the paid members) like it like this. We don't want people just dropping by to sell something or buy something. The members here trust each other and in 4yrs I've zero problems. No crooks, scammers, people with 5 different screen names or bad mouthing someone else's post.

blackbart338-06
10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
If you don't want a paid membership why even talk about it at all? Your waisting your time that is more valuable than money in the first place.

twarren
10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Dang it is getting snotty !!!!!!!!!