PDA

View Full Version : Pay for classifieds, really!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

davemuzz
10-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Now, would I do that to you Dave?....

After being on this forum for some time, Frank is truly an honest and upstanding guy. But he will yank your chain every chance he gets!! All in good fun though.

rgburrill
10-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Every other site also has its own set of rules. This rule is one of ours, and will continue to be one. Just like all the other sites you visit, you either take it or leave it.

I visit other gun sites as well, and buy and sell at times as well, but I will only buy from someone who I have known as a regular on that forum. Ive let alot of good deals go by just cause I didnt know the guy. But on this site you do not need to worry about that because they have made the commitment to become a paid member. Think of it as an insurance policy.

Now you know the rules and why they are the way they are. No need to continue complaining about them.

Really, you think $15 will stop some dishonest person from joining your site just to rip someone off. Heck if everyone had your attitude you would be the easiest targets of all.

J.Baker
10-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Really, you think $15 will stop some dishonest person from joining your site just to rip someone off. Heck if everyone had your attitude you would be the easiest targets of all.

:violin:

:deadhorse:

davemuzz
10-21-2013, 03:45 PM
What? You mean that $15,000 I just paid Frank for a moderately used bolt for my 110 was a little over priced? Frank told me it was such a great deal that I should tell absolutely no one that I bought from him!! He said "Don't even think of posting it on the forum, or I may get tossed off for doing such a deal!!"

fgw_in_fla
10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
You still owe me $25.

That's the last time I let you slide on a deal.

Edit - Did you get the gold plated or solid gold? I forget which one I screwed you...er, I mean sold to you.

keeki
10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
I cannot believe anyone is that upset over $15. I doubt anyone's gonna change the rules or if anyone even wants to change the rule, so why keep complaining? You don't have to pay for a membership to join in and ask questions or share knowledge. People on here will treat you no different whether you pay or not.

wbm
10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Jim I sure hope that horse is dead. If PETA ever saw that....well I just don't know what would happen.

psharon97
10-21-2013, 06:37 PM
What I think of this thread...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

davemuzz
10-21-2013, 07:53 PM
You still owe me $25.

That's the last time I let you slide on a deal.

Edit - Did you get the gold plated or solid gold? I forget which one I screwed you...er, I mean sold to you.

Frank.....you told me that silver was platinum. Oh man....and I've been saving all of the chips that keep falling off of it.

Dave

pdog06
10-21-2013, 09:38 PM

Well, it has for many years.

If you havent paid and seen the benefit then dont doubt what we are saying. If youre so happy with dealing on the other sites then that is just fine. More deals for us on here then. Paying is definately not for everyone, But if youre happy with the other sites dont complain about the rules here cause they arent gonna change just cause a couple people wanna cry about it.

stangfish
10-21-2013, 10:32 PM

There is...was something cozy about SS.com. I still enjoy the savage discussions and helping the new guys. I learn something on a regular basis from Bill, and Fred when he posts. On here way to much information has to be repeated day after day. Jim has a lot of the answers but Sticky's could be added and are a "Living source of data" Not really a big thing here. SS,com is a place I have choosen to hang and it has its own unique character. Love it or leave it.

davemuzz
10-22-2013, 06:20 AM
It's a matter of principle. As the OP stated, and I have said several times, this is the only site I have been to that does this. Every one else charges the seller a fee.

You call it "principle", I would call it "Choice." To me, there is a huge difference.

However, one other thing that distimguishes most Savage owners from others is that they will buy the cheapest gun they can (Axis) and spend hundreds, if not thousands, upgrading it.:o Most people on this site are not happy with a stock weapon.

I'm going to call this flat out B\S. Most of the posters here either buy a new 10\110 action at a cost of $400 or more and build from there, or find a "donor" rifle that will cost at a minimum $300, and build it from there. While it's true there are some mod's that can be done to an Axis, these are minor.

OTOH, i've seen Marlin Lever owner's buy new Marlin 45-70's for $700 and send them away spending another $1,500 to turn them into 50 caliber lever guns. Buy a Ruger revolver and for sure add another $150 for a good trigger job. Want a 1911?...you can buy one for $400, and then customize it by adding another $1200 to it. You like a Smith 629 revolver? $600. Want the Model 29 PC? $1,000?--They both shoot 44 Magnum bullets, but the Performance Center will put them in a smaller group at 100 yards. (I know this as I have both)

But I don't know anyone who has dumped "thousands" into an axis.

"Most" people who are happy with a stock weapon have no interest in shooting one hole groups at 100, 200, or 300 yards either. As long as the rifle will kill a deer, groundhog, or other critter at their chosen range, then they are quite happy with the rifle.

Dave

J.Baker
10-22-2013, 07:36 AM
First, before either pdog or Stang get upset over their posts being edited - I did it simply because I didn't want this to turn into a Savage Shooters v. whatever other site thread because it's #1 pointless and #2 it's an impossible argument to validate no matter what's being compared. It's something that should never have been brought up in the first place, and it's just as stupid as arguing Ford v. Chevy. v. Dodge. (and the first person to make a Ford v Chevy v Dodge post in an attempt to be funny will get a free 3-day vacation, you've been warned!).

Pdog is right though when he said whining about it isn't going to change anything. This has been the rule here for 7 years now and in that amount of time we've had maybe a handful of individuals who insisted on pissing and moaning about it. Doing so leads to one of two outcomes....either they accept it and move on or they continue complaining about it and I'll eventually get tired of listening to it and will eliminate the source of the problem from the site. It's as simple as that.

Anyone's welcome to come here. Whether you choose to purchase a membership is your own choice, we don't demand that you do, but if you want access to certain areas you'll have to so it boils down to how important those areas are to you. By the same token though, I expect you to respect my right to run this site however I see fit - after all, I built it, I own it, and I'm the one paying the bills to keep it here for everyone to enjoy (including you rgburrill).

And that, in the grand reality of things, is why we do the paid memberships. It's not to restrict access to the classifieds, it's not because we want you to pay to be able to read the articles, it's because we want as many people as possible who benefit from this site to help support it financially to ensure it will continue to be here.

The first 6 years we had a voluntary donation policy - those who wanted to could send a check or M/O for however much they wanted to help cover the bills. During that time less than ONE-TENTH of one percent elected to give a donation, yet those in that one-tenth of one percent often made substantial contributions (i.e. $150 to $200 every year).

Frankly, that pissed me off and I decided to do something about it. Why should a few have to foot the bill so the masses can enjoy what the site has to offer? The result was the paid membership system which limited access to certain areas of interest to get more people actively supporting the site and to have more people pay their fair share for something they enjoy rather than getting a free ride from a select few.

The other aspect of all this is that this has become a full-time job for me. Between the server and site maintenance, answering emails, doing reviews, writing articles, trying to sell advertising, sending out advertising renewal notices, etc. etc. I generally put in well over 40 hours a week doing site-related work. I think it's fairly safe to say that not a single one of you would show up for work tomorrow if your boss called you into his office this afternoon and decided that since Joe Schmoe down the street does what you do for free, he's decided he's not going to pay you anymore but still expects you to show up ever day and work just as hard as you always have for nothing. Nope...I highly doubt you'd show up the next morning - so why exactly is it that I should work my tail off year after year for free just to make an occasional squeaky wheel happy?

Now, regarding the sticky's thing....

We tried stickies for years and guess what....nobody ever bothered to read them so they still ended up asking the same questions over and over again. All of the material we used to have here on the forum as stickies is now either in the Savage FAQ's on the main page (free to access and there's a direct link to them atop every page of the site) or is in the Gunsmithing How-To's on the main page (paid members only). The reason for that move was twofold...first, as I previously stated nobody every bothered to read the stickies anyway, and second, I got tired of seeing the text and photo's from our how-to's being copied verbatim on other people's websites. I decided that if people were going to selfishly steal the important, useful information that we've collected here FROM our community members and FOR our community members then they're at least going to have to pay us for the right to do so. And I'm not talking about taking something they found or read here on our forum in a discussion and reposting it on another forum, I'm talking about taking a published FAQ sticky, complete with OUR photos and text word-for-word, and recreating that how-to on their website like they wrote it themselves. This is also why I now put our logo watermark on all the pictures included in all our articles.

Additionally, most of the information shared on the forum is piece-mealed together over 5-10 pages of posts which makes it almost impossible to promote anything useful to a Savage FAQ article on the main site. How many times over the years have I put up posts asking for people to submit articles or reviews, even offering free memberships to those who submit something? And how many such submissions have I received over the years? Less than a handful.

As for the "experts" not posting here, well....most of that boils right down to "its your own fault" as many of them used to. Many of those who actually have the decades of knowledge and experience with Savage's simply got tired of providing answers only to have everyone question said answers as if they were deliberately lying to them. So the highly experienced "experts" simply don't bother answering questions anymore....they have better things to do than argue with internet know-it-alls who have little to no real world experience in the area they want to debate. The "experts" have simply decided that they're more than happy to let you folks learn the hard way since you refuse to accept and heed the advice and knowledge of those who have gone before you.

Basically three things would need to happen that would go a long, long way towards helping to transform this forum and make it a much better/more informative and user-friendly community.

1. Sit back, be quiet and don't reply if you don't know EXACTLY what the problem is and know EXACTLY what the solution is.
Look at most any thread on this site where someone has a problem and you'll find several dozen replies saying "have you tried this?", "what about this?", "Ok, maybe it's this then". I swear, you read through most of these threads and it looks like the blind leading the drunk when it comes to technical advice. Just because you read something on the internet or it was what fixed one of your guns doesn't mean it's the end-all cure-all solution for all problems with Savage rifles. Watch and listen as those who actually know what they're talking about reply and you might just learn something. Why do you think I don't reply to 1/2 to 3/4 of the technical threads? It's because I know I don't have any useful/pertinent information to help resolve the issue at hand and I'm not going to waste the OP's time by throwing out wild guesses that will just leave them confused and/or chasing their tail.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that so many people want to jump in and help, but unless you know exactly what the problem is and exactly how to solve it you're just muddying the waters and causing more confusion than anything by offering up best guesses or blind suggestions.

2. People need to get more involved in submitting CONTENT to the site. By content I mean well written, detailed articles and reviews, not forum posts.
Stang mentioned the lack of stickies that results in a lot of repeated questions. So where's the member base stepping up and putting together quality, detailed posts with photo's depicting the differences or procedures? BillPA and Thomae are the only two members I can think of off-hand who in the last couple years have routinely gone out of their way to do this. They both do an excellent job and we've promoted several such posts of theirs to the How-To and Savage FAQ sections of the main site.

I will also say that we (the moderators) need to do a better job of looking out for and identifying topics of discussion that would make for a good FAQ or How-To article, and that's something I will address and work on with them in the staff area.

Looking at it from another angle, there are 15,000+ of you and only one of me. Even if I wanted to I simply can't do it all and/or know it all. You as a collective buy more different products and experience more different things in a year than I will in a lifetime. That's why it's imperative that you as a collective help contribute content to the site. Even if each and every one of you only offered up one suitable article or how-to or product review a year, that's 15,000+ per year. I'm lucky to be able to squeeze in 25-30 a year with everything else I have to do.

3. People need to quit being lazy and start doing for themselves rather than expecting others to do for them.
By this I mean people need to do their own research and try to find the answer themselves rather than just posting their question on the forum and expecting someone else to hold their hand and tell them everything they want to know. I don't know how many times I've seen a new question posed on the forum and just three threads below it on the list is another post asking the exact same question that's already been answered. The way I see it is if you're too busy to be bothered with trying to first find the answer yourself then it's clearly not something that's all that important to you and I shouldn't waste my time with it either.

Ok, I've said my fill....flame away!

pdog2062
10-22-2013, 08:15 AM
well said,I noticed myself in there somewhere.I will go to the time-out corner now and think how I can improve my actions

rgburrill
10-22-2013, 08:33 AM
a lot of stuff

Wow, just wow. I'll be quiet now.

emmagator
10-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Well it's only been a short time since I've been paid and checking the classifieds. However, i think might see an issue with a lack of selection due to the same people listing and buying parts. Just my early observation.

stangfish
10-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Ok, I've said my fill....flame away!

Actually a good post and I especially like the "flame away" offer. No need for that as I think this forum is better than that. Even if one disagrees, it is insight into how and why you operate on those particular issues. With one large edited out exception this is a decent place to hang.

Apache
10-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Well Stang, You are sooooo right.

Once again I put my foot in my mouth. Having some personal issues I'm dealing with right and seem to be taking it out here. My apologies to all.....post will be deleted

DanSavage
10-22-2013, 06:21 PM
I am proud to be a paid member on Savage Shooter's and plan on renewing every year, I brows much more than I post,,,, I guess I'm kind of like a "silent Bob". Unlike someone down South from me...cough,cough.:rolleyes:

snowgetter1
10-22-2013, 09:46 PM
I think this is now just members arguing with themselves. I think the OP bought a membership somewhere in the bowels of this thread maybe on page 2.