PDA

View Full Version : Firing my new 300 win mag

thermaler
10-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Yesterday I went out for a second attempt at firing my new 300 win mag (re)build. The first session was aborted after the muzzle-brake decided it wasn't in the mood to party and imploded on itself on the second shot. Yesterday I made a second attempt and couldn't seem to get a grouping better than a few inches, so after just 10 shots I went home feeling a bit peeved. I decided to check everything to see if anything was loose--in reality it was a question of what WASN'T loose: the rail was loose, the scope rings were loose and the receiver screws were a bit loose.

Today's trip to the range was mainly to test new hunting loads for my 308 but I had my 300 win mag along just to collect some brass if I finished testing my reloads in time. The guy in the pit to my left whips out his 7mm mag and starts banging away--while the guy to my right is firing his 50 cal muzzleloader. Both of em give me that big-boomer grin after letting a few rounds go--so I decided if that's the way you roll I can play ball too and reached for my 300 win mag (with brake). : )

All I was doing was shooting to collect brass--but in the process I had a profound revelation: shooting a one-hole group really isn't all that hard if you just throw enough rounds at the target. : ) Here's 13 rds of Nosler factory 180 trophy hunters:http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s388/triggerpull/winmag_zps57f9823c.jpg (http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/triggerpull/media/winmag_zps57f9823c.jpg.html)Hopefully once I start hand-loading I'll be able to get better results.

*tim*
10-18-2013, 03:24 AM
When I bought my 300 I had the same problem with things coming loose. I pulled every screw out and loctite everything

wlleven
10-18-2013, 06:55 AM
On your first outing, what happened to your muzzle break ? I just installed one on my Hog hunter and I think everything is ok.

Did you install it wrong, and if so how ?

wll

efm77
10-18-2013, 07:04 AM
"When I bought my 300 I had the same problem with things coming loose. I pulled every screw out and loctite everything"

I'll second that. I put loctite on all the screws and tighten them with a torque wrench to make sure I've got the right amount of torque on them. Nice grouping too by the way especially for 13 rounds. Good luck with your loads.

Jetpig
10-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Yep! Good supply of locktite and powder!

thermaler
10-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Roger that--I lock-tited and torqued down everything and yesterday I fired through about 40 rounds and everything is tight as a drum. : )
As for the brake it is a sordid tale but with a happy ending. I ordered a Kahntrol and when it arrived it seemed a bit loose but was told that was OK. The problem was even though I checked the ID of the muzzle port holes I didn't check the id of the muzzle clamp portion--mostly because of the split-half design with the 6 screws I didn't know how you could do that since it's not a full-diameter circle you are starting with. As it turned out, they had temporary help who packaged and shipped the wrong brake to me with a different muzzle-sleeve id. The second shot after I put it on the brake parted company and on the way off past the muzzle end the two halves of the solid aluminum clam-shells that clamp down around the muzzle end--with 6 metal screws--actually folded together! The forces involved to do that must be incredible.

The fellow at Kahntrol (Jim or Jerry?) didn't hesitate to make good by sending me out a new one. There's absolutely no doubt it significantly reduces felt recoil, my guess is around 50% or more and to me it feels like firing an AR 55fmj--but it certainly still goes BANG so that may take a bit of getting used to--especially for the shooters next to you. : )

palerider338
10-18-2013, 03:22 PM
I can vouch for the Kahntrol brake...have one on my 112BVSS 30/06. Can put 200 pills down range in one outing...feels like my 10/22. The 90 degree ports are a lot less annoying to guys next to you than the 30 degree ones.
BTW...torqued mine to 60 in/lbs with the Fat Wrench.....still tight after 500 rounds down the tube.

efm77
10-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Something else I do too especially on the harder kickers like the mags. I put a light coat of powdered resin on the inside of the rings when I'm installing the scope. Once they're torqued down with the resin in there it keeps a death grip on the scope so it doesn't slide under heavy recoil. Doesn't seem to damage them either. It leaves a ring of resin on the scope tube but a little alcohol or gun scrubber and it comes right off.

Jetpig
10-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Something else I do too especially on the harder kickers like the mags. I put a light coat of powdered resin on the inside of the rings when I'm installing the scope. Once they're torqued down with the resin in there it keeps a death grip on the scope so it doesn't slide under heavy recoil. Doesn't seem to damage them either. It leaves a ring of resin on the scope tube but a little alcohol or gun scrubber and it comes right off.

Funny you brought that up. My Dad taught me to do that 40 years ago. Great tip!