PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question

ffjoey
10-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Hello all, My first post. I am new to Savage rifles but not new to firearms. I just purchased a model 10P 20" and am looking for a new stock for it. I found the Choate Tactical full bed stock but I am a bit confused on which to order. I assume it should be the detachable mag model but there is an option for centerfeed as well. Any help is appreciated.

J.Baker
10-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Yours will be a centerfeed. That basically refers to the magazine itself and how rounds are fed from it. Older Savages used a staggered-feed magazine, and the newer center-feed system was introduced in 2004 in select models and by 2008 was being used in all new production.

ffjoey
10-17-2013, 02:50 PM
That is where my confusion comes in, there are three choices. Stagger feed, center feed, and detachable mag. The 10P is a center feed detachable mag so I'm confused on which of those two is the correct stock. Thank you

foxx
10-17-2013, 03:08 PM
All detachable mags are centerfeed.

Not all centerfeeds are detachable mags.

If it says detachable mag, it is a centerfeed.

If it only says "centerfeed", they probably mean "center feed, internal (or blind) mag"

Or so I think.

ffjoey
10-17-2013, 03:40 PM
That is what I was thinking as well. Thank you

sharpshooter
10-17-2013, 04:09 PM
All detachable mags are centerfeed. False. There were stagger feed DBM's.

Not all centerfeeds are detachable mags.

If it says detachable mag, it is a centerfeed. Still false.

If it only says "centerfeed", they probably mean "center feed, internal (or blind) mag" Center feed is center feed, no matter if it's blind, DBM or hinged floorplate.

Or so I think.
corrected

ffjoey
10-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Hmm.... guess I will have to call Choate to make sure before I order one. Thanks

foxx
10-17-2013, 10:50 PM
corrected

Sorry. I stand corrected.

I understand the technical meaning of "center feed", and that it is only a partial description of the loading system. But what might be the intended meaning of a company that limits its description as such? Maybe only they would know.

J.Baker
10-18-2013, 05:16 AM
I know not too long ago Choate didn't offer anything for the newer centerfeed DBM's, but I think that has changed in the last 6-8 months. I'm not a fan of their stock styles so I don't keep tabs on them.