PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins... update again... may the face-palming begin...

Pages : [1] 2

firemachine69
02-20-2010, 02:03 AM
McMillan just charged the final "leg" of my order to my Visa...

$706'ish USD (on top of the initial $70USD deposit).

Not including the duties and taxes I'm about to pay in a few weeks. :o

I was deadset on the A5-style stock with cheekpiece, and no other left-handed game in Canada for less moneys. So I did the "buy once, cry once" dealio.

P.S.

I'm already eyeing A Shilen barrel for my build. :D

Damn Savageholics. Look what you got me started on. :D

pdog06
02-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Damn Savageholics. Look what you got me started on. :D

Said that before...LOL After you realize your addiction and that it cant be stopped it wont bother you near as bad.

$700+ for a stock...ouch!

dcloco
02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
You just need one more expense added....become a paid member to the site.

Congrats and welcome to the Clan of Savage!

Uncle Jack
02-20-2010, 12:39 PM
We all talk about the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut". I'm not sure I belong. Nobody has ever given me the password or the secret handshake.

Does the fact that I own almost a dozen Savage rifles, even more spare barrels, numerous triggers, piles of barrel nuts and spare parts and a action wrench and two barrel nut wrenches count?

I think I'm having an identity crisis.

uj

firemachine69
02-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Ahh yes, I forgot the paid account. Where's the "buy" button?

UJ:

LOL :D

Blue Avenger
02-20-2010, 12:49 PM
We all talk about the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut". I'm not sure I belong. Nobody has ever given me the password or the secret handshake.

Does the fact that I own almost a dozen Savage rifles, even more spare barrels, numerous triggers, piles of barrel nuts and spare parts and a action wrench and two barrel nut wrenches count?

I think I'm having an identity crisis.

uj
are you left handed?

Apache
02-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Ahh yes, I forgot the paid account. Where's the "buy" button?

UJ:

LOL :D

Look under "profile" then "paid subscriptions".

This addiction can be one of the most satisfying you can have. A rifle that was truly built by yourself that can shoot with most anything out there is something to be proud of.

Uncle Jack
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
"........are you left handed?"

Always have been.

uj

Blue Avenger
02-20-2010, 04:05 PM
then your in!

firemachine69
02-20-2010, 07:21 PM
The association of lefty-nutters. :D

Thanks Apache, now to find my CC...

firemachine69
03-01-2010, 02:49 AM
Well... Before I get carried away... I'll just let my email I sent to McM show how I feel right now...

Hello again.

I just got my hands on my McMillan stock that I've been patiently waiting for the last three months. Feels great, looks good... But seriously, an installed-pillar is missing... It clearly states two pillars on the order form, as well as on the paper taped to the side of the stock. To add insult to the injury, the "2* MACHINED-IN PILLARS -installed" (verbatim from the side-sheet) is highlighted. I expect this sort of Mickey-mouse mistake from B&C, or Choate, not from McM. Not after waiting over three months and having spent nearly a thousand CAD after the customs are included into the price.

I apologize if I sound "moved", but I won't hide it, I'm pretty upset at this point. I'm now going to be out a stock until this is corrected, does this mean I need to wait an extra three months to receive the product I originally ordered? Am I going to have to pay taxes at customs again? Will I be held responsible for shipping costs to and from again? I desired the pillars to be installed by McM, not bedded by my gunsmith (not that he does bad work, but I'm now convinced that pillars need to be integral to the stock... IMO, of course.) If you folks declare a value coming back for insurance purposes... I'm going to get dinged again by Canada Customs Revenue (likely regardless if you declare it as warranty work), and another $106 will go to the government for their misspending pleasures.

My gunsmith has been made aware that he won't be working on my rifle (he'll be bedding my action into the A5, timing-work done as well), so my spot is now filled by someone else, and he's not taking any more work until he's caught up. I'm not sure how it is south of the border, but up here getting any decent 'smith to work on your stuff takes forever, and if a gunsmith isn't busy... That's usually a sign to stay far away. So as you can see, I'm not really wanting to switch from someone I trust...

I kindly wait for your reply, I hope you understand my frustrations are nothing personal.

Darn tootin' right I'm P.O.'d!!!!

Blue Avenger
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
you get dinged by customs for things you send over for work and get returned to you? They making you pay for the "improvement"?

firemachine69
03-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Blue:

The CBSA forms require that they collect taxes on the declared value for insurance, or retail, whichever is greater. Once upon a time you just checked the "warranty work" check box on the forms, and all was fine. Not so anymore. They will collect the full taxes from you regardless now, and require you to submit a lengthy and obscure paper trail to get those taxes back. As an importer, they've now made it even harder, as they're beginning to deny fully legitimate claims due to "not enough proof that actual warranty work was involved". The only way to ship it for warranty work state-side without paying taxes again is going the no-insurance-route and declaring the value to be under $25 (you can probably see why I'm concerned by such an option) on the return leg of the trip. That, or properly insure the parcel, and take your gamble CBSA will eventually pay you back the taxes you paid a second time...

Blue Avenger
03-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Ok, I see where you at now. To much involved to not insure.

firemachine69
03-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Exactly, too much $$$ to not insure. I'm expecting an email shortly from them... I sort of get the feeling that someone is lighting a match under someone else's posterior prior to a reply, or someone is waiting to cool off before replying. :D

On a last note, should the recoil lug in the front of the magazine be pillar'ed as well?

firemachine69
03-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Didn't think so, but I was curious... I only ordered the two pillars for the action.

You're still missing it. I wanted two FACTORY installed pillars. As far as I was explained, these are molded-in during the fabrication phase. If I wanted to give my 'smith extra work, I'd have him work up some loads for my rifle. I was always annoyed when someone came in at work and say "give me so and so", but later decided "well you may as well add this and this, and that too". Then people wonder a gunsmith has such a hard time managing... Well... Time! ;D

firemachine69
03-02-2010, 01:11 AM
I don't know what the heck I was thinking...

Now... This may be the most monumental fail on Savageshooters.com ever.... But these pillars... Any pillars... They tend to be threaded inserts, with equivalent screws... Correct? Or did I just dream-up a flaw in a flawless stock? :D

mountbkr
03-02-2010, 05:13 PM
The only pillars i"ve ever seen in a stock are two empty "pipes"(for lack of a better word) that the bolts go through to tighten into the ation.

Blue Avenger
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
pictures?

firemachine69
03-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Okay, I'm an idiot. They're there. But wondering what purpose a pillar that only extends half-way into the stock may actually have as a bearing surface... Meh.

I seem to have lost my camera at a critical time, as well. :(

Where's the face-palm icon when you need it?