PDA

View Full Version : Tweaked Receivers and Mis-aligned base mounting

TnTom
02-20-2010, 12:15 AM
After reading rave reviews about the accuracy of Savage rifles I am ready to order...or not.

I have read in the OPTICS sections regarding problems that sound to be common with Savage receivers. That the receivers tend to be warped and scope mounting features not in good alignment with customers having to return the gun to Savage for repair and often it sounds like they have to give them to a gunsmith if Savage chooses not to repair or replace. In one instance the the gun was replaced by Savage and with it came back enclosed was a target with a 1.3" moa (100 yds) shot at the factory.

Im confused as I'm not seeing the upside to this.

Blue Avenger
02-20-2010, 12:26 AM
they machine then and they heat treat them . they warp some. some more then others. the bad ones can be cured with windage adj bases and burris signature rings. the really bad ones get returned. Is no up side except price and accuracy.

kslefty
02-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I only use 2 piece Burris or Leupold bases with windage adjustment screws and have yet to move my scope more than 1 inch either direction as my final setting when sighting in my guns. The only thing better than a 12 BVSS is a 12 VLP, you will be very happy with either gun I promise.

trappst
02-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Have seven Savage/Stevens actions and not a one is warped.......owner might be but the actions aren't! ;D

sharpshooter
02-20-2010, 02:01 AM
These instances of badly warped receivers and mis-aligned scope mounting holes seem to be greatly exaggerated lately. Since Savage changed over to the round top style, the heat treat changed with it to reduce the problem of warping. With the process they use to drill and tap the holes, I find it hard to believe that they can be misaligned with one another. The biggest culprit is not the receivers, it's the scope bases. I've seen many Weaver bases with the holes drilled off center. Since the inception of the new Okuma machining centers, the overall quality and tolerances have improved dramatically. Don't believe everything you read on the web.

TnTom
02-20-2010, 02:51 AM
SS and guys,

I try to be careful about how much salt I put on the information coming off the web but the references were from this forum which in general seems very reliable as far I can tell.

I've had excellent results with the Ruger M77 MkII VT and the price difference between the BVSS and the VT is $16.00 with the Ruger the cheaper of the 2. Not a big deal by any means. That the Savage has very straight forward barrel swap capability is a really strong selling point for me.

I would intially break in the new gun with Blackhills ammo before I begin my home grown stuff. My impression is that I can expect .75" MOA out of the box with the BVSS .223Rem. Safe assumption?

GaCop
02-20-2010, 06:44 AM
3/4" is a reasonable assumption.

davemuzz
02-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I've never heard of this warped receiver problem before. Like a previous poster said......consider the source of your info. Especially when\if it comes off the internet.

Now, I can tell you my Savages' are just like Toyota's. They go at full throttle, they can't be stopped, and there is no working steering linkage on my Savage's either!! ;D ;) 8)

Dave

Blue Avenger
02-20-2010, 12:47 PM
it stems from way back in the 70s when they tried using cast receivers. or from some that do not use proper tools to remove a barrel.

Dinosdeuce
02-20-2010, 02:37 PM
they machine then and they heat treat them . they warp some. some more then others. the bad ones can be cured with windage adj bases and burris signature rings. the really bad ones get returned. Is no up side except price and accuracy.

I believe all the manufactures build receivers as stated above. You are going to have a variance on all of them, called tolerance, regardless on manufacturer. The receivers are hand polished and depending on how heavy handed a person is will affect the height from the front to the back. On my Stevens action the difference was .016”. I bedded the single piece base with JB Weld and it is a shooter. I believe this gets blown way out of proportion with one person complaining he can’t hit shit (maybe legitimate or not). Then people jumping on the band wagon. This happens especially with optics. Some of the threads on different forums are getting ridicules about quality. Anything made could have a quality issue not matter what manufactgurer made it. How many times do you see people only show up at the range a week before hunting season with a box of ammo and start sending rounds down range at 100yds and start to make adjustments after every shot and complain about the scope? I see it every year. There is some really good info on the net you just have to shift through it. If you read enough on the internet it will lead you to believe that you have to buy $3000 scopes and $6000 rifles.

Buy with confidence sight in and burn some powder.

oldguy
02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I purchased a Model 12 BTVS(223) some 18 months ago, I installed 3 bases, 3 different type rings ending up with a Leupold base and Burris Zee rings with a strange assortment of inserts to get the needed adjustments.. I've mounted and sighted in many scopes through the years never with this problem.

Anyway to make a long story short I gave up and returned to Savage, took 8 weeks, they replaced the barrel not explaining in great detail, (some of you have much more knowledge on this issue) however in any event problem solved, took approx. 15 mins to install scope, 3 rounds to sight in and first 3 round group was .450 and it remains that way with reloads.

My opinion here if you require shimming that looks weird something is wrong ship it back.

TnTom
02-20-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm going to try the BVSS .223 Rem and from the general concensus it should be a pretty good choice.

I appreciate the feedback.

I think the Leupold rings and one piece base will get things started. The 1:9 twist barrel is a little slower than I would like but I understand the 77gr still does o.k. in it. My AR is a 1:7 WOA but many folks at the matches are doing ok with 1:9's.

Has anyone had experience with the .223 AI? I like shooting 600 yd events and the .223 holds it own.

Tom