PDA

View Full Version : Group size improvements based on barrel swaps?

777funk
10-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Seems like I see lots of talk about buying a Savage because they're the best measure of accuracy per buck. But I also see lots of talk about barrel swaps. I realize it's because with a Savage you can... vs more difficulty with many other rifles, but is it something like:

Savage Standard Taper Barrel (stock) = 1MOA
Upgraded barrel (the right one) = 1/2MOA or better

or are we talking more dramatic differences?

I'm a hunter and I am not one to burn through shells at a quick pace when I do make a range trip. I usually let the barrel cool between shots and take my time. Curious if I NEED a new barrel.

J.Baker
10-16-2013, 10:37 AM
No you don't.

While barrel swapping seems to be a dominant practice with many of the members here, in the grand scheme of things they only represent a very small percentage of Savage owners and most have never changed a barrel or had need to do so. More often than not people are going to an aftermarket barrel because they want to shoot a cartridge that isn't offered from the factory. Others do it because they're competitive shooters and they're trying to get as tiny of groups as possible. The third and final group are the tinkerers and wildcatters - they're the ones who just like to play around with things and see what they can come up with just to keep themselves busy and entertained.

Savage's provide more than adequate hunting accuracy right out of the box. In my 11 years of owning and reviewing Savage's I've only had two that wouldn't consistently shoot sub 1" groups from the bench with factory ammunition, and even those two would still shoot 1.5" groups with factory ammunition. That's typically using a benchrest style front rest with a proper sized front leather bag and a leather bunny ear rear bag, or a Harris bipod and the same rear bag.

foxx
10-16-2013, 10:48 AM
The most expensive mass produced factory rifle makers adv ertise 1moa. That is 1inch at 100 yds, 2inches at 200 yds. If you get 1.5 inches at 100 yds you might get 3 at 200. Savage has a reputation for 1moa. Just as you indicated. Everyone must know the limits of their rifle and self before firing at game. Anything else is just fun talk and games.

big norm
10-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I only own two Savage rifles, they are both older rifles. Not sure of the exact age but they are discontinued form the factory.. All that was said as a testimony to Savage accuarcy even on there older rifles . I have only been reloading for 10 mths and shooting rifles for 1 1/2 yrs and the two Savage rifles consistently shoot sub moa and if I do my part I can group at .500 or less @100yrds. This is a 5 shot grop @ 100 shot by my 11yr old for a 7mm with reloads http://NaturalElegance.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v40/p1944944168-2.jpg (http://NaturalElegance.zenfolio.com/p1030614274/e73ed7e28)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

yobuck
10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
actualy it dosent require a dime size group shooter to be successful hunting at long range.
a consistant 1" shooter with the proper setup for follow up shots will fare better than a
better shooter relying soley on gun and ability.

777funk
10-16-2013, 11:53 AM
That's what I've always thought yobuck. Seems like being able to adapt in the woods or the tree stand to find ways to get stable is probably the most important for shots beyond 50 yds vs equipment. I've always thought the sling is a great method to get used to.

missed
10-16-2013, 12:17 PM
My Savages all have factory barrels on them and both my 308 and 22-250 are sub 1/2 moa rifles. At this point I will continue with the savage barrel as long as I can. My 308 with a 168 grain Sierra matchking I have shot a .712 and a .841 inch group at 400 yards with it. Off a harris bipod shooting prone. I think there may be some match grade barrels that may be able to get some groups down smaller but the margin will not be that big in my opinion. It is just one part of the system.

foxx
10-16-2013, 12:18 PM
For sure there is a lo t more to hunting than shooting equipment. The rifle and its accuracy and the shooter is only 1part of a multifaceted sport. Many great bench shooters will admit harvasting game is a different discipline than shooting paper targets off of a rest ( or not). Having said that, I enjoy the challenge of getting target like accuracy out of budget priced practical hunting rifle like Savage 110. :)

big norm
10-16-2013, 12:39 PM
777funk for the most part I think its safe to assume that MOST factory rifles have m.o.a or better accuracy. Technology in manufacturing is so far advanced these days that it is not hard for a manufacturer to produce consistently accurate mass produced factory rifles. There will be instances where you get a bad apple.. even BMW's have recalls every blue..
With the 2 Savage rifles and the Rem 700 vls I currently own, I am the weakest link in the accuarcy chain.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

CharlieNC
10-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Depends on what is the weak link in the equation. Generally speaking, developing a good load will do more than anything else; if you don't load then evaluate a range of various bullet weights/styles/manufacturers. This is mandatory and will get the most bang-for-the-buck. Since you don't shoot much, then more practice would pay off the most and get you ready for hunting situations. While I was a decent bench shooter, before an elk hunt last year I spend a day with a trainer to improve my field shooting and left with a lot more knowledge and confidence; then nailed my first one! Don't overlook you can get a lot of great practice with a 22. Spend your money on practice ammo instead of a barre.