PDA

View Full Version : Detach mag or not?? Opinions?

KTP
10-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Getting ready to build a short action .243 primarily for hunting varmints. Struggling between detach mag and internal box mag. Both will limit case OAL I know. It seems more difficult and expensive to build a detach mag. I like the idea of quick load and unload with the detach. Any thoughts team?

missed
10-16-2013, 07:57 AM
I only have DBM rifles, I like the fact that I can just click the mag out and done. Also the ability for high capacity mags.

J.Baker
10-16-2013, 08:32 AM
I guess my answer or recommendation would really depend on HOW you hunt. Are you going to be getting into/out of a vehicle quite often moving from stand to stand (coyote hunting), or will you basically be setting up and shooting from the same location for a good while (prairie doggin)? In and out of a vehicle (or frequently crossing fences, etc) I'd want a DBM simply for the convenience of a quick load/unload for those situations. If just setting up somewhere and shooting, or you'll be doing long walks with minimal fences to deal with the benefit of a DBM falls by the wayside.

bsekf
10-16-2013, 08:52 AM
I have only been charged once and it was an enraged boar just after I removed his girl friend. It took him so long to cross the field that I had no trouble reloading my single shot. (woodchucks have short legs)

Clip fed rifles look clunky to me and I think there are more stock options for internal mags. I also favor long actions so I don't have to be concerned about OAL. If I wanted a repeater and a clip, I would go with a high quality AR.

It's great we all have different tastes.

cqh1111
10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
I like internal magazines for hunting in the backcountry. No detachable magazine to forget or lose.
All of my other hunting rifles (coyote, rockchucks, antelope) are detachable magazine. Easier unloading/loading and no worries about forgetting the detachable magazine because I'm usually near the truck.
My target/prairie dog rifles all have single shot followers.
I load Hornady 105 amax in my 243s and even when loaded to -.010" from the rifling, they fit in a savage center feed short action magazine with plenty of room to spare.

davemuzz
10-16-2013, 09:46 AM
My first rifle when I was out of diapers had a detachable mag. I've always preferred those. One finger\thumb removal of the mag and unload one round. Put the round in the mag and put the mag in your pocket. Easy\peasy. Let's see....I've been on this earth for almost 58 years and have never lost or forgotten a mag. Why? 'Cause I know you can't shoot anything without the bullets!!!

Dave

RatMag
10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Many more options with the DBM. I only have 1 rifle left that has the internal box, and that will be changed out as well.

DK

Hubcap91
10-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I always prefer DBM.

sortafast
10-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I like the DBM for long range and target shooting (I am referring to CDI, Badger Accurate Mag DBM with the ACIS mags). Not sure how I would like it for hunting. But I hunt (deer and elk) with a sporterized military rifle, so I can't get DBM for it, unless I made myself some which actually might happen. I guess my thinking is this, if you are going to be beating it through the brush, a smother exterior profile on the gun could be a bit better. Also has a little less to go wrong. But that is a pretty minor point. I really like being able to pop the mag out to top it off or to slap a new one in if/when you run dry. In the end its really just up to you. I would say just nut up and get the DBM.