PDA

View Full Version : Got my Hog Hunter just about together.

wlleven
10-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Had a heck of a time with the bolt as it was in the original package but in a fired position, had to move the cocking button over with a plastic hammer head, just pushing, no hitting..

Once that was done I tried out the safety and it works in all tree positions. The trigger as it came from the factory was pretty darn good, so I left it alone.

I installed weaver bases that went on without a hitch and installed Leopold removable low mounts. I then installed a Weaver 1.5-3 classic scope that is just barely long enough to work, but it looks tough. I then installed a sks od green sling that I modified a bit, it goes with the rifle perfectly !

I then bore sighted it and it was very close to being on, a few adjustments and I'll be on paper for sure at 25 maybe 50 yds.

I put on the Cooley large muzzle break to protect the threads for now as the crush washer is .002 undersized and I must open it up tomorrow at work.

I will then send pics .... this is a tough looking rifle, I'm very pleased so far ;- )

wll

Freepistol
10-15-2013, 05:51 PM
I always store my rifles with the firing pin spring relaxed. One of my rifles has a spare bolt and I uncock that one and use a wood trim on my door going to my garage to recock it. I just hook it over the edge and pull and turn. it takes less than 5 seconds.
Looking forward to the pictures and details. What caliber?

wlleven
10-15-2013, 06:06 PM
I always store my rifles with the firing pin spring relaxed. One of my rifles has a spare bolt and I uncock that one and use a wood trim on my door going to my garage to recock it. I just hook it over the edge and pull and turn. it takes less than 5 seconds.
Looking forward to the pictures and details. What caliber?

All my guns are uncocked, but in the gun. The caliber is 308 !

wll

sharpshooter
10-15-2013, 06:26 PM
The firing pin springs are still under 20lbs. compression even when in the fired position. Leaving them cocked won't hurt anything.

big honkin jeep
10-15-2013, 07:49 PM
It's a lot easier Just to hold the trigger when closing the bolt to store them without the spring compressed. No they don't dry fire when you do this it just keeps the sear from catching and cocking them. This is how I store all my bolt action rifles un cocked. Storing them cocked might not hurt anything but it just puts my mind at ease to know there is less tension on the spring.

Chrazy-Chris
10-15-2013, 08:44 PM
The firing pin springs are still under 20lbs. compression even when in the fired position. Leaving them cocked won't hurt anything.

Rack safe. I do the same with every firearm I own. I can't help it- it just feels like the right thing to do.

I can't wait to see pics! I love scout type rifles.

wlleven
10-15-2013, 10:17 PM
It's a lot easier Just to hold the trigger when closing the bolt to store them without the spring compressed. No they don't dry fire when you do this it just keeps the sear from catching and cocking them. This is how I store all my bolt action rifles un cocked. Storing them cocked might not hurt anything but it just puts my mind at ease to know there is less tension on the spring.

That is exactley what I do, have been doing that for 30 Plus years !

wll

wlleven
10-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Had a heck of a time with the bolt as it was in the original package but in a fired position, had to move the cocking button over with a plastic hammer head, just pushing, no hitting..

Once that was done I tried out the safety and it works in all tree positions. The trigger as it came from the factory was pretty darn good, so I left it alone.

I installed weaver bases that went on without a hitch and installed Leopold removable low mounts. I then installed a Weaver 1.5-3 classic scope that is just barely long enough to work, but it looks tough. I then installed a sks od green sling that I modified a bit, it goes with the rifle perfectly !

I then bore sighted it and it was very close to being on, a few adjustments and I'll be on paper for sure at 25 maybe 50 yds.

I put on the Cooley large muzzle break to protect the threads for now as the crush washer is .002 undersized and I must open it up tomorrow at work.

I will then send pics .... this is a tough looking rifle, I'm very pleased so far ;- )

wll
I forgot, I have a Allen Butt Stock Pouch, It is awesome, I have my Boarsnake in that pouch and a few essentials.

This gun is the bomb !

\
wll

wlleven
10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
It is not the normal type that I have seen on Savage, Does it use a special wrench to remove the barrel if you wish ?

There are no grooves in it that I can see from the top, but I have not taken the stock off to check underneath.

wll

wlleven
10-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Got the muzzle break on, what a job !

Had to grind down the crush washer till it was about 3 or so degrees off. put blue Locktite on threads and used a hard stiff fiberglass rod that I happened to have that was just the right size to fit in the break. I had two friends hold the gun barrel while I cranked hard with two hands to get it into position, it was tough, but we did it. It locked up tighter than a drum and I'm sure it will stay put.

Will be shooting it this Sunday after orientation at my new gun club.

wll