PDA

View Full Version : What kind of base/rings should I get?

JerryisKindofaGoodShot
10-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I've decided on the scope I'm going to get, Redfield Revolution 4x12x40. It has a 1 inch main tube. The problem I've run into, is that I have no clue what to get for a scope base or rings? Any input is appreciated. Forgot to mention, its going on a brand new savage 111.

davemuzz
10-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Base, I've never gone wrong with the EGW picatinny one piece base and the Burris Signature rings (the ones with the plastic inserts. Those are the best!!!) The EGW (who is a sponsor....or maybe an advertiser here) one piece base's are the greatest thing since sliced bread!! You can mount your scope and adjust your eye relief even if your scope tube is limited in it's forward\backward adjustment. In fact, I just purchased one for my Winchester Model 88 that I bought new back in '69 or '70. (My first rifle purchase!! $132 back then!!)

Dave

jhelmuth
10-14-2013, 06:00 PM
If you don't need added MOA "lift", I recommend the Talley (one piece base and rings). Nothing more solid as you eliminate the "connection" between the rings and bases. They also are very precise on the alignment and strength is 2nd to none.

I wouldn't pick these for most long range paper punching (for lack of added MOA elevation) - but for hunting and under 600 yards, the Talleys are hard to beat. Equally as good or better (but more $) are the Burris Signature series with the inserts.

rattfink
10-14-2013, 07:13 PM
^ The Talley 20 MOA base is a great value if you do want the added lift. Mine fit true with no bedding.

Williarj87
10-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Base, I've never gone wrong with the EGW picatinny one piece base and the Burris Signature rings (the ones with the plastic inserts. Those are the best!!!)

+1 Dave, no scope marks, and no lapping required for the Burris Signature rings.

Neo2savage
10-27-2013, 12:20 PM
+2 for EGW rails. I have one on a Howa 1500, .308 Varminter with 20 MOA of lift and it's rock solid and fit perfectly. I like it so much I just ordered another one for my Savage Creedmoor. A single piece rail is really great for ring alignment.

I was looking for a 40 MOA rail for the Howa since I like to get way out there with shooting but prices got really high with most makers. Price seemed to go up $100.00 with each big name maker of bases. I called EGW and they'll modify a 20 MOA rail to 40 MOA at only a moderate price increase over the 20 MOA rails. Adds two weeks to the delivery time but that's no big deal.

1cav
10-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Neo2savage
10-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Forgot to mention ring height. Not being familiar with the Model 111, if it has the factory fore and aft ring mounting positions you can simply purchase a pair of quality low height rings. No rail necessary but you will need to pay closer attention to ring alignment during installation without a rail.