PDA

View Full Version : 300 wm build

shootingblanks
10-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Well I am planning a build with my 111. I have a sharp shooter supply trigger savage 110ba rail 6-24 vortex. I am looking at getting a mcrees precision stock and a longer barrel. I am wanting a over 600 yard hunting/target rifle.now this dosnt meen I will hunt 600+. What would u suggest for barrel length and contour. Are there any mods I could do to the action to help with accuracy?

The Pickle
10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
If it was me, I would look at a magnum/heavy contour in 1in10 twist by CBI. Make sure the back tang is free floated in the stock. Good luck.

thermaler
10-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Good luck--as someone else said on this forum--the 300 win mag is a thing of beauty. : )

Jetpig
10-15-2013, 08:23 AM
I did varmint contour CBI on mine. I don't mind carrying it and the extra weight soaks up the bumps on a long shooting day.

bythebook
10-15-2013, 09:18 AM
On my target rifles I have every thing from a 28 inch full bull 6mmbr to a 20 inch full bull 223 and they all shoot great. I would not be afraid to shoot any of them at any distance out to 1k . The 223 I would have to do more load work with a different bullet, but it seems to like any thing I put thru it.

yobuck
10-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Well I am planning a build with my 111. I have a sharp shooter supply trigger savage 110ba rail 6-24 vortex. I am looking at getting a mcrees precision stock and a longer barrel. I am wanting a over 600 yard hunting/target rifle.now this dosnt meen I will hunt 600+. What would u suggest for barrel length and contour. Are there any mods I could do to the action to help with accuracy?

if your going to be using it as a carry gun for hunting, weight can become a factor.
id personaly be looking for a rem sendero look alike as for size and weight.
26" would handle the win mag well. a muzzel brake would be a must have for me.

thermaler
10-15-2013, 10:25 AM
if your going to be using it as a carry gun for hunting, weight can become a factor.
id personaly be looking for a rem sendero look alike as for size and weight.
26" would handle the win mag well. a muzzel brake would be a must have for me.Exercise caution if you get a clamp-on; I recently was sent a brake that was manufactured to the wrong barrel id diameter and the consequences were quite profound (thank God to just the brake and scrapes only to the muzzle-end of the barrel). I'm here to tell you that the force of the muzzle blast can easily crush the machined aluminum ones if tolerances and grip are not right. The witt clamp-ons are at least made of 416 SS though I've heard some negatives about how effective they really are.

yobuck
10-15-2013, 04:39 PM
professionaly installed screw on type is the only way to go. they can be removed and a cover cap made
for the threads making them invisable.

shootingblanks
10-15-2013, 04:45 PM
O yeah I forgot to mention I already have a clamp on muzzle brake and love.it.

aubie515
10-16-2013, 09:39 PM
I too am building a 300WM. I'm leaning towards a Magnum contour, since those Varmint contours are heavy. I'm also going to be attaching a suppressor, so even more weight to factor in.

sortafast
10-17-2013, 12:14 AM
IF you want to do a chassis and don't mind the wait time, Rock Solid Stocks are a bit lighter than the Mcree. Or you could go with a MDT also makes a pretty light one (and cheap), but they are kind of ugly and you have to use an AR stock on buffer tube. Assuming this is going to be a rifle that you hump around. I built up a 280rem using a 26" Varmint contour Criterion Prefit from Jim at NSS. Its a bit of a pig as she sits, but it works. For the 300wm, I am not sure if you'd get max accuracy with the varmint contour, but I could be wrong. I am not a huge magnum fan so I am just stabbing in the dark here.

But frankly, I think you are sounding like you'd rather do long range paper/steel punching with this gun than hunting. If you want max accuracy beyond 600yds you are going to want a longer, heavier barrel. Mixing that with a heavy chassis system and your gun is going to be heavy, especially once you put a decent rail on there (Warne Steel 20moa rail) and a scope capable of seeing small plates at 800yds. Heavy, long rifles do not make for the best hunting guns, unless you get to drive or ride a quad to where ever you are going to be sitting.

Really, I would pick either long range accuracy or hunting. Trying to get both out of the same gun can sometimes end up forcing you to compromise too much on both sides of the equation leaving you with a rifle that is ok at both, but far from ideal.

thermaler
10-17-2013, 04:48 AM
O yeah I forgot to mention I already have a clamp on muzzle brake and love.it.I just got a replacement Kahntrol for my 300wm and tried it out yesterday--remarkable! I'd say the the felt recoil on a hefty 180 grainer feels right at a light-weight 223 round, certainly less than a 308 which is what I often hear it compared to. Still a touch of muzzle-lift, but I should be able to figure out how to control that with a good hold.

masterblaster
10-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I dont believe Mcrees makes a LA Savage chassis unless things changed since last month. I just built the exact gun you are looking to build, get the enhanced extractor ejector from SSS, I had the barrel threaded for a badger FTE, had too get the FTE milled out for 20 thou over bullet diameter. Got the 300 WM CBI match chamber bull bbl at28 inch, looks like a howitzer and shoots like a M1 tank.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?28123-Barrel-came-in-finally-300-winmag-together-now