PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 16 FCSS extractor problem

MDG3
10-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I've owned since new but never had this problem before nor do I remember what could have change since new.
Basically it does not hold on the shoulder of the case no more and on further inspection, it looks like the pin has a shine spot on it. Newbie, please help if you can.

Thanks !!!

MDG3
10-19-2013, 12:56 AM
Anybody out there!

rjtfroggy
10-19-2013, 07:00 AM
Sounds loke you are looking at the ejector not the extractor. Try to post picture of your bolt head or maybe someone else will to show you what is going on.
You may just need a larger ball under the extractor. I'm getting old and don't remember the size but I sure do remember when you take it apart do it in a plastic bag.

JW
10-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Sorry for not seeing this earlier
It is hard to tell for sure what you are talking about without a picture of your bolt head
The shiny pin you talk about is the ejector and is normal to be shiny

It sounds like the extractor is either worn or out of place or maybe needs removed and cleaned or replaced

Make sure that it is in the correct position by trying to move it back and forth in the slot
I would disassemble the extractor and clean before I done anything else
under the extractor is a small steel ball that is spring loaded
The extractor has a detent on the back side of it for the ball to fit in
Be careful not to lose the ball and spring which can happen when you remove the extractor
doing this inside of a plastic bag will keep flying parts from disappearing

I hope this helps
Jack

BillPa
10-19-2013, 08:42 AM
Anybody out there!

Psychically or mentally???? :p

The short answer is its broke. The longer answer requires a bit more detail.

First of all what "pin" are you talking about, the ejector" Does the cartridge extract from the chamber but drops off early?

A case should be kept pushed against the bolt race by the extractor until it clears the port then its ejected. If its not then the spring is warped or was over compressed, like the one on the right. It should look like the spring on the left.
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zppm40.jpg

The ejector on the left is the new style with the follower(tail). It helps prevent over compressing the spring (enthusiastic reloading) and keeps it straight.

Another issue, the extractor may not be resetting to it's home position. Generally removing it then cleaning the race( the slot it rides in) allows it to work properly. A modification, replace the extractor .125" factory detent ball with a .140". I've "upgraded" all my actions with the new style ejector, new spring and installed the .140" extractor ball. Rarely if ever will you need a new extractor spring.

You can order all the parts, the new style ejector, spring, and extractor from Savage here ...https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/ You can also call customer service and describe the problem you having. At times they will send the parts free of charge. BTW, they are not restricted gunwreaker only items.

The 140" extractor balls can be found at better hardware stores or ordered from places such as Master-Carr, MSC, Grainger and etc.

Bill

bluealtered
10-19-2013, 09:34 AM
You should be able to get the extractor balls at your nearest ace hardware.

MDG3
10-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Psychically or mentally???? :p

(I'm not going to go there.... 😊😊😊)

First of all what "pin" are you talking about, the ejector" Does the cartridge extract from the chamber but drops off early?

(Yes, I think so ( SORRY, I'm a noob) . The cartridge starts to extract then releases and falls back in the chamber part way.) 😖😖

A case should be kept pushed against the bolt race by the extractor until it clears the port then its ejected. If its not then the spring is warped or was over compressed, like the one on the right. It should look like the spring on the left.
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zppm40.jpg

The ejector on the left is the new style with the follower(tail). It helps prevent over compressing the spring (enthusiastic reloading) and keeps it straight.

(Good info to know, Thanks.) 👍👍👍

Another issue, the extractor may not be resetting to it's home position. Generally removing it then cleaning the race( the slot it rides in) allows it to work properly. A modification, replace the extractor .125" factory detent ball with a .140". I've "upgraded" all my actions with the new style ejector, new spring and installed the .140" extractor ball. Rarely if ever will you need a new extractor spring.

You can order all the parts, the new style ejector, spring, and extractor from Savage here ...https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/ You can also call customer service and describe the problem you having. At times they will send the parts free of charge. BTW, they are not restricted gunwreaker only items.

The 140" extractor balls can be found at better hardware stores or ordered from places such as Master-Carr, MSC, Grainger and etc.

Bill

Thanks Bill for your help. I've never cleaned let alone took apart the bolt before (noob).

MDG3
10-19-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll try taking a picture when I can, it's at my brothers place. A little bit of a road trip. I'll see if my bro can take a pic for me, he's computer illiterate, sorry. 😫😫😫

MDG3
10-20-2013, 01:00 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/yga8atut.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/ganevyja.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/gajymyve.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/20/edurate4.jpg

JW
10-20-2013, 07:04 AM
I would clean the bolt head and see if that helps
Jack

PS: don't forget to put it in a plastic bag when removing the extractor

MDG3
10-20-2013, 12:35 PM
I would clean the bolt head and see if that helps
Jack

PS: don't forget to put it in a plastic bag when removing the extractor

Thanks ill try that first, if not do you think replacing the spring and ball bearing is the fix?

JW
10-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks ill try that first, if not do you think replacing the spring and ball bearing is the fix?

That would be my next step
When you take it apart make sure the spring comes out and looks good
I would clean the spring hole, back of extractor,around the bolt head where the shell fits, and the slots that the extractor fits
(look for crud on the back of extractor and on the bolt face)
Spray cleaner and compressed air work well
While you are at it press on the ejector pin and make sure there is good spring tension on it
Hope this works for you
Jack

BillPa
10-20-2013, 09:48 PM
do you think replacing the spring and ball bearing is the fix?

Not really. The reason the cases drop off is because the ejector spring has been over compressed, bent or both. ( refer back to my picture)

With the old style ejectors there is nothing but the spring to stop its rearward travel. When that happens the spring is damaged and cannot keep sufficient tension on the ejector and keep a case pressed against the lug recess until if clears the port. Even installing a .140" extractor detent ball won't correct that condition.

The follower(tail) on the new style ejector limits it's rearward travel, so it can't over compress the spring and keeps it straight. It a cheap fix for five bucks, $3 for the ejector, $2 for the spring and five minutes to install them.

Bill

JW
10-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Very good advise and explanation Bill, thanks for the help

MDG3, Exactly why I like this forum, people are always willing to help
I hope this gets you up and running
Jack

MDG3
10-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Not really. The reason the cases drop off is because the ejector spring has been over compressed, bent or both. ( refer back to my picture)

With the old style ejectors there is nothing but the spring to stop its rearward travel. When that happens the spring is damaged and cannot keep sufficient tension on the ejector and keep a case pressed against the lug recess until if clears the port. Even installing a .140" extractor detent ball won't correct that condition.

The follower(tail) on the new style ejector limits it's rearward travel, so it can't over compress the spring and keeps it straight. It a cheap fix for five bucks, $3 for the ejector, $2 for the spring and five minutes to install them.

Bill

Thanks Bill for advice it is greatly appreciated. So just to be clear, buying the ejector... will it be the new style or do I have to specify so.(is it a replacement ejector)?

Again THANKS !!!

MDG3
10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Very good advise and explanation Bill, thanks for the help

MDG3, Exactly why I like this forum, people are always willing to help
I hope this gets you up and running
Jack

I second your comment , Jack !!!