PDA

View Full Version : My first Savage, model 10 P-SR, pics inside!

Pages : 1 [2]

AgentMyth
10-16-2013, 09:59 PM
Ooohh....I like that. I have this thing about trying to shoot just as good (if not better than) those who go to the range with rifle & scope configurations that cost 3 to 4 times as much as my rigs.

Sort, best BANG for my buck on a working mans budget philosophy.

M4J0R T0M
10-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Ooohh....I like that. I have this thing about trying to shoot just as good (if not better than) those who go to the range with rifle & scope configurations that cost 3 to 4 times as much as my rigs.

Sort, best BANG for my buck on a working mans budget philosophy.

You're like me then. I get a kick out of the guys at the range that have thousands of dollars tied up in a rig and can't shoot worth a ****. The reality is that most factory stock, plain jane rifles will outshoot their owners most of the time. Don't get me wrong, it's their money and they can spend it how they want. But a new and expensive scope or stock or barrel will never make a guy a better shot.

Money is not a substitute for fundamentals and/or practice.

That being said, if I could afford it I'd have a Manners stock and a Nightforce sitting on top of my rifle, :)

big honkin jeep
10-17-2013, 12:37 AM
MT,
If any of your local retailers have one in stock check out a Burris E1 I have bought a couple and like em a lot. Really good glass and tons of features for the cash. They have nice hunter turrets and though the clicks are a little softer than some really high end scopes they are very adequate and as good or better than some "high end "stuff I have used. So far they have been dead on repeatable passing several box tests and the glass is unbelievable fro a scope in this price range. I have always liked Burris products but this one definitely raises the bar for the competition.

I haven't installed it yet or gotten a chance to shoot with it but I recently got a great deal on a Redfield Battlezone 3-9x42 that was a store demo.I'm kinda skeptical because of the price but we'll see. It comes with turrets for 55gr.223 at 3100fps and 168gr .308 at 2650fps. The turrets are fairly large knurled tactical style and graduations are 1/4 moa. The reticule also has graduated hash marks in 2 MOA graduations. I'm not sure which .308 will get it yet, only that it'll be one of my .308s I think it will be a good one but only time will tell. The price was right and the warranty is listed as a "No excuses warranty" Though with all the Leupold products I've owned I've never needed their warranty I trust the warranty of products under the Leupold umbrella. Hopefully it'll be repeatable and last and change my mind about what a budget optic can do.

The Super Sniper was built to compete for a Govt. Navy contract, It did not get one. Someone in the SS marketing dept. is playing fast and loose with the truth. Some guy's seem to like them. My opinion there are much better budget options offered by divisions of some of the best known for quality optics companies in the world.

AM
Another great bang for the buck and an easy fun project is to make your own adjustable Kydex cheek riser/rest. The knobs and bolts are available at any good hardware store and the Kydex sheets are really cheap ( I got 3 10"x12" sheets for $14 enough to make 9 cheekrests) and easy to find and to work with. Lots of good videos and instruction online. Check out several sites and pick out a method that'll work for you, or you can pay someone six times as much to trim a piece of thermoplastic in the shape of a stock and supply some Ace hardware bolts and knobs for you. You still have to drill the holes and bend the sheet so why not save $40+ bucks a pop?