PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had troube with savage scope base holes being off center?

KTP
10-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Guys,
I've picked up a Savage model 12, .243 blued rifle. Accutrigger and round receiver. Today I finally had a chance to shoot it. Shot way left. Brought it in. boresighted, yep shooting way left. So far left that I ran out of adjustment on 2 different Leupold scopes. Tried different rings & different bases. All checked out the same. Is it possible that screw holes for mounting the bases are slightly off line?
Anyone dealt with that? Ideas?

tomme boy
10-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Yep......

RP12
10-13-2013, 09:30 PM
It happens a lot during the heat treating process, the actions will warp. It could be some other machining problem. One fix is to use Burris signature rings to correct your zero.

RP12
10-13-2013, 09:37 PM
I had one that was 30" off to the side and 20" up, at 100 yards. I used the Burris signature rings to fix it. I have a model 12 now that's spot on with zero adjustment. It's hit or miss, but the rings are the cheapest way out.

DaveC
10-14-2013, 03:26 AM
I have a Striker that has the same problem (way-way left) also fixed with Burris Signature Rings.

J.Baker
10-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Are you using the factory supplied (aka junk) weaver-style bases? If so, try flipping one of them around. They're cast pieces and the dovetail on one side often tends to be thicker than the other creating an offset.

As for the heat-treat/warping comments, that really depends on when the action was made as Savage has switched to a new process that has eliminated the majority of the warping.

KTP
10-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Good info all. I was using 2 piece bases ony because my EGW bases have not arrived yet. I switched them, used another set etc. I was using Burris signature Z rings (the only rings I'll use) and that didnt help, BUT, I did not move the scope any in the bushings before tightening. Maybe I should try that. Ive never had this issue with one of their rifles.

RP12
10-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Are you using the offset inserts ?

Silvercrow1
10-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Hey LRPut- yes indeed! Had the problem with my .223 110 Long Action. Shot F..A..R right and high @110 yards. Used the Burris Signature Z rings and off-set inserts. Got it to where WITHOUT adjustments it was 2-3" off the bull. Then just used the turrets to dial her in. Over 200 rounds now and hasn't moved a smidge. The folks here recommended the Burris Sig Zs and of course, they were right! (No surprise there...LOL).

HINT: watch the videos on the use of the sig rings with inserts. The guy talks about "chasing the bullet", and setting the offset inserts at an angle within the rings to get diagonal crosshair shift, rather than using them at 90 degree angles.

HINT HINT- I may get some flack for this, but I also bought the "level-level-level" magnetic scope level bubble thingies. I thought about it and it made sense; IF you get the receiver level horizontally, AND the scope level with the receiver, (the reticle level with the receiver that is) it will negate the base mount hole's being askew. ALL I can say is it worked great for me; UNDER .5" groups at 100 consistently (with the right loads) and no shifting so far. I'm a believer! Hope this helps...Brian

KTP
10-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks, good info. I will watch the video. I'm using the inserts that came with the rings and I don't think they are offset. I'll check and see. I love the signature z rings, they are all I'll ever use. Ive never had any big issues before.

Silvercrow1
10-14-2013, 06:43 PM
LRPut- The inserts that come with the rings are concentric; no offset. You have to either order a full "set" (20, 10 an 5) for around $15.00 as I recall, or you can order just the 20 pair, or 10 pair etc. Pretty sure I got mine from Midway or Brownells- I'm sure lots of stores arry them. Although I was surprised; the Cabelas in Hamburg Pa. carried the rings, but not the offset inserts. Brian