PDA

View Full Version : trophy hunter xp model 10

billybob
10-13-2013, 03:30 PM
New to savage rifles,got this one in 308 , for the guys that shoot one how do you like them?

billybob
10-14-2013, 09:33 PM
Since no one will bite here is what I think,gun will shoot the lights out great trigger system.But not to crazy about the plastic in this rifle.

J.Baker
10-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Savage's synthetic stocks have always been their Achilles heal. Even the AccuStock leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion, but it is an improvement over the standard.

missed
10-14-2013, 10:30 PM
The barreled action is real nice, same as said above the stocks leave some to be desired but I guess at that price point that's what your going to get. I am going to buy one this winter in 308 and cut the barrel to 16" and put it in a boyds tacticool. Its gonna be my truck gun.

jpdown
10-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Nothing wrong with the Savage TH XP as a starter Savage action to upgrade or build upon as time and money permit. Order a varmint Accutrigger spring from Northland Shooters Supply for a lighter adjustable trigger pull ($3 to $5). Upgrade the factory tupperware stock to one of the aftermarket stocks with CF DBM cut-out from Boyd's (laminate/walnut), or composite Stockade Gunstocks ($100 - $300). I usually sell the Nikon Prostaff BDC as a new take-off on Ebay to get the most value ($100). I've learned not to trust entry level package scopes and not to waste time and ammo trying to get them sighted in and to hold zero. I also don't like all the clutter with the Nikon BDC reticle. Your Savage factory barrel in .308 will usually shoot 1/2" to 1" groups @ 100 yd with reloads and factory match ammo. A custom barrel will not necessarily shoot any bette than a Savage factory, but usually cleans up a lot quicker in my experience.