PDA

View Full Version : Stevens stock - barrel channel

bajabill
02-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I have a wood savage stock that I had to open up quite a bit to fit some barrels in compared to the original sporter taper. I am thinking of getting a stevens so I have another gun to interchange barrels with. How much clearance is there with the stock to handle a bull, magnum, varmint, or even a target taper?

I have 2 switch barrel platforms now, and am wanting to add a third. I have a standard bolt face LA, and a magnum bolt face LA.

cutter37372
02-19-2010, 12:00 PM
The Stevens are sporter barrel channel and will have to be opened up. This is easily done with a dowel of appropriate size and sand paper wrapped around it.
I did find a Stevens with a heavy barrel and the stock already done at Gander Mtn. But, this was a special run for them.

Cutter

bajabill
02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
the plastic stocks are easily opened up?

cutter37372
02-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Yep, I've done several of them.
Get a dowel the size of the barrel you want to use, wrap some sand paper around it and work it into the barrel channel.
I try to work as straight on from the front (forearm) as possible. These stocks are kinda flexy and removing material makes them more so.
There are articles on here about stiffening the forearm, they work well and add some weight to the gun.
Cutter

davemuzz
02-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Cutter,

You can do a lot of good with a Dremmel.

You can do a lot of bad with a Dremmel.

With a tag name like "Cutter".....HMMmmmmmm, It could be a crap shoot!! ;D

You'll be fine. Those tupperware stocks are easy to work with.

Dave

GaCop
02-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Depending on the diameter of the barrel you intend to use, opening up the barrel channel may make it too thin along the channel edge.

pdog06
02-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Depending on the diameter of the barrel you intend to use, opening up the barrel channel may make it too thin along the channel edge.

With a Stevens stock it dont really matter how thin the sides are. It is gonna flex anyway. It probably wouldnt look right with a heavy contour though.

cutter37372
02-21-2010, 10:41 AM
This is a factory Stevens stock opened up for a varmint weight barrel.

http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/ss87/cutter37372/Picture_0084.jpg

Yes it's a little thin around the edges but it's been stiffened buy using a piece of steel and bedding in the forearm. Yes it still flexes a little but, it's better than stock and will work until I decide on an aftermarket replacement.

Cutter