PDA

View Full Version : First savage

cjfish
10-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Hello everyone I just bought my first Savage. Module 11 Trophy Hunter xp in .308. I can't wait to get out and shoot. I have a few questions. I have hear that the mounts and rings that come with it are no good and keep coming lose. So what is everyone using? And what would be a good factory load to sight in with( break in) I plan on working up a hand load but still have to buy dies and what not.
Any info would be great.

LHitchcox
10-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Two Weaver #46 bases on short actions and a Weaver #46 and a Weaver #402 extended base on long actions with Quad Lock rings. Total is about $20.

GaCop
10-11-2013, 09:38 AM
A big welcome to the forums from middle Georgia! If you'd like to use a one piece base, the EGW works great. As for ammunition, if you just want it to sight in/break in the barrel, get the cheapest brand you can find at Wally World or your local gun emporium. Check on line with Graf and Sons, Midsouth Shooter Supply or Midway USA to see who may be having a sale on the caliber you need.

sortafast
10-11-2013, 01:31 PM
For mounts get either an EGW aluminum rail (great value for the price) or get a Warne Steel rail mount. I have a warne 20ma rail on my LA and I like it a lot, plus they are a great company to deal with. Once I get the order in, I will be getting 2 EGW 20moa rails for my model 12 and one for my rem 700 varmint. I will also be bedding the rails to the receivers to make sure everything is super tight and have no chance for any movement etc. Might not be needed, but a tube of JB weld is cheap and it takes no time to do.

cjfish
10-15-2013, 09:20 PM
Well I got out to the range to day for the first time with my new savage. Wow she shot great. Started to break it in only got through 20 rounds but the last three all touched and fit in a quarter.