PDA

View Full Version : Waxing your painted stock

Bark
02-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Ok,I realize that a coat or two of wax on matte camo paint basicly runs against "blend with the bush",but at this point I'm more concerned with keeping the paint on the stock.Used Krylon camo and this is my second run through on this stock.First time I painted solid Olive,basicly in between rain showers.Using good suggestions from members here,I got it to to dry and start to hard'n up,but couldn't wait to go and print some and pretty much wore through running the bags.Well,it's now solid Sand and 3 days drying over the oil heater with 4 coats of matte clear,also Krylon,and it looks like it might take this time.Thought today well it's paint,why not put some wax on to take the surface beating a bit.Have some Flitz gun wax here and have had pretty good luck with it on my heavy use trap gun.I don't care if it throws some shiny on the gun as the bbl is screaming polished blue anyway.Opinions please as to if any of you have waxed your painted stocks with any success.All replys appreciated here as always. Old Grumpy Bark

hotbrass
02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I dont keep guns looking good. I just keep them shooting great! ;D

If the paint is coming off, you likely used the wrong paint or didnt prep properly. But also high wear spots will lose their paint. Which is one reason I dont like painted stocks, even though I have done a few.

rjtfroggy
02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Bark instead of wax how about a couple of coats of matte finish clear. Let it sit over night in between coats, I would think that would be more durable and it would have no shine.

wbm
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Although it is dry to the touch within a short time the Krylon Camo can says it can take up to 7 days before it will not chip. If I really want it to be a tough finish I wait a week and then coat the stock with Min Wax satin polyurethane. After three more days it is a really long lasting finish. Sounds like you have done that and that the problem is humidity.

Bark
02-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Yep,thanks for the replys.Dropped the action back in today,it's been a week drying this time,and it looks like it's going to take this time.When I sprayed the first time there was just too much humidity as wbm suggested.Also a question for wbm,did you spray or brush the Minwax poly on your stock?Would have never thought of using the polyurethane on the painted stock.I've used it on guitars(elect.) many times and has given me great service-very tough.Might try it if the current finish goes south again,thanks for the tip.Back to working up loads and generally enjoying Savageland. Old Grumpy Bark

wbm
02-25-2010, 11:52 AM
I use the Min Wax "fast dry"....well sorta fast....satin polyurethane spray. The longer they cure the tougher the finish gets.

wbm
03-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Might try it if the current finish goes south again,thanks for the tip.Back to working up loads and generally enjoying Savageland. Old Grumpy Bark

I think you mean "North again". ;D