PDA

View Full Version : Is the Hog Hunter a Sleeper in the Savage Line !

wlleven
10-08-2013, 11:55 PM
Looked at my Hog Hunter today at my FFl. I tried on the Cooley muzzle break and it is a beauty. My custom home made SKS sling fits the gun perfectly and the ugly green matches the stock.

I like the gun a lot, the enclosed magazine is fine with me, the 20 Inch barrel is maybe 40 FPs slower than a 22 barrel given your load, (whoop tee do). The gun moves very well and has a great trigger.

Yes I know it has a real cr*p stock, but I'm sure the gun can be made to shoot 1 inch groups at 100yrs with a little care.

For a bang around, in the brush rifle, I think Savage has a winner.

In another post I mentioned I have 100ea 150gr Barnes TTSX bullets on the way and 500 once fired LC brass .... that is more than I will use in a lifetime with this rife ! I will try to get about 2825-2850 fps if I can. That will take care of a lot of critters using a solid copper bullet that does not come apart like lead. I plan on setting the iron sights at about a 75 yard zero and set the scope at about 1.5 to 2.0 high at 100yds.

Who else has been looking at this rifle as a great deal on a utilitarian working mans rifle ?

wll