PDA

View Full Version : Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

gsperaz
11-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Rec'd mine today forest green/classic, the fit was perfect ! Even with my after market trigger. I just have to add a red dot under the safety tag.
Great job Boyd's ! Now PLEASE make a stock for the savage B-mag !
thank you

jhawk60
11-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Got home from work today and the stock was waiting for me! Other than being slightly tight on the bolt release it fits like a glove. Now to find the time to sight it in before rifle season starts.

Excellent job Boyds!
Thanks Lisa for your help on the phone.

Elgin
11-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Ordered mine on Thursday, and it's on the truck and scheduled to be here tomorrow. I must have ordered at just the right time.

jhawk60
11-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Ordered mine on Thursday, and it's on the truck and scheduled to be here tomorrow. I must have ordered at just the right time.

I'll say, mine took almost a month.

Jay24bal
11-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Hello all. I am new to this forum and wanted to chime in as it pertains to my Axis. I have been lurking on the site for a while now, but did not want to register for yet another firearm forum, but here I am...

I received my new Boyds' stock today (classic in pepper) for my 223 stainless Axis. After attaching the action to the stock, I found it does not work. I am encountering two problems, one of which other people seem to have encountered with the prototypes, and the other I have not seen mentioned:

1. The bolt release does not work when the action is attached to the stock.
2. The magazine catch does not work, and the magazine falls out every time I cycle the bolt. Rounds will feed from the magazine, but the magazine drops out as you cycle the bolt back closed.

Anyone else encounter #2? I received the correct stock (at least it was labeled short action) and the magazine feeds, but will not lock in place.

I will be calling Boyds' in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this with their new stock?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

greg409
11-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Hello all. I am new to this forum and wanted to chime in as it pertains to my Axis. I have been lurking on the site for a while now, but did not want to register for yet another firearm forum, but here I am...

1. The bolt release does not work when the action is attached to the stock.
2. The magazine catch does not work, and the magazine falls out every time I cycle the bolt. Rounds will feed from the magazine, but the magazine drops out as you cycle the bolt back closed.

Anyone else encounter #2? I received the correct stock (at least it was labeled short action) and the magazine feeds, but will not lock in place.

I will be calling Boyds' in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone else experienced this with their new stock?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jay, mine's a 270 long action, FWIW, my bolt release is tight, but satisfactory, and my magazine release is tight (very) but also works ok.

I'm going to use mine as-is, since I wonder if I just got used to having a little slop for mass production purposes.

I too have to red dot the safety, as mentioned, no biggy

luck,greg

Jay24bal
11-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Tight would be fine by me, but both problems can not be used as is.

I pressed as hard as I could on the bolt release, and got nothing.

And as for the magazine, it is the opposite of tight, it falls out when cycling the bolt.

I'm sure Boyds' will take care of it. Between their responses here to other members that I have seen along with their long reputation for quality and customer service, I am sure they will have a new one on the way.

G-manz35
11-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Jay24bal

Mine is exactly like yours. Both are easy fixes. First the clip. the wood of the stock around the clip prevents the clip from being easily pushed in. Take a bit of sand paper and sand away at the sides near the front where the clip snaps in. It took very little sanding to get mine to pop in easily. Now it clip in easy yet is very snug. The bolt release is hitting the stock. Again all you have to do is a bit of light sanding where the bolt release hits the stock. Alternately I bedded mine and put a tiny spacer .035" under the rear action and bedded it that way so no sanding was needed on mine.

Anyone else bed the action? Front and back? This is the second Boyds stock I installed on Savage rifles. Both had to be bedded or the barrel was visibly crooked in the stock.

G

jasta
11-06-2013, 01:54 AM
G-manz35... any chance you could give us some more info on the bedding job as I'm sure others would be interested in a "How To".

Cheers

Jas

liquid
11-06-2013, 05:11 AM
this is something I want to find out about as well. where bouts you at jas - you mentioned you were down under, just how far are you. I'm in np! Yet to order stock, doing a trigger job Ist from rifle basix http://www.riflebasix.com (http://www.riflebasix.com/). I have small hands so will avoid the thumbhole though it is what I would like best. Nearly all thumb hole stocks I have held, just don't work for me - bugger.

wasn't very impressed with shooting results either. some was due to me due to lack of practice and the rest was crap rounds. best so far was Fiocchi at about an 1" at 100. Barnaul was the worst at over 5" with fliers all over. Did not like 60grn at all. do mostly goats so happy with 55grn. I will do a load development soon as time permits. don't want to pay $30.00 a box of 20! will try Belmont ammo from Wanganui before that though. they have excellent prices, and if ok and suit the rifle, would go that way rather than reload!
I am sure a decent stock will help my cause - les

Axis270
11-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Ordered mine on the 11th of October and it has been stuck at USPS ISC in Chicago since last Monday the 28th!! This is sooooo not cool!

Rogeritall
11-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Ordered one for my wife's Axis last night... Thumb hole style in green camo (her choice). I hope it doesn't take very long, I'm quite anxious to see what improvements it makes (other then looks) for her rifle. NOW, if only they would make a Lefty version available for me...

I have great hope about the lefty model, I see where they offer a left hand stock for a Mosin Nagant rifle. If the company is willing to make a left hand stock for the shooters of a right hand military surplus rifle, they will hopefully make one for an actual left hand commercial rifle. I can only hope anyway. :)

mrrabk
11-06-2013, 01:04 PM
FWIW I too had the bolt release issue, but it was easily corrected. It actually took longer to get my dremel and plug it in than to correct. The "arm" of the bolt release was just barley contacting the stock internally at the lower "shelf" below it. it was very apparent by the slight indent it was leaving in the area of contact. Just took a very slight 45 degree trim of the edge and it works perfectly.
I have not bedded and probably won't. I did however add a spacer under the action at the front screw to kind of create a pillar in that it contacted the bushing that is underneath at the front screw. I had always used 35 in/lbs for the screws and it had worked perfectly. However, this allowed the bushing to compress (over a couple of days) the laminate and when re tightened the screw was slightly into the bolt area preventing cycling. It is now stable as a rock with both action screws @ 35 in/lbs and thru two 30-50 round range sessions (.308) it has not loosened one bit.
First session was with factory 168 match to retune and then next session was doing an OCW test. With 168 Nosler custom comps, 8208 XBR in SSA brass I found the nodes in it's current set up. Was able to get consistent groups averaging .632" off a bipod and rear bag. I think a little more work and some practice on my part, I should be able to get it down in the 1/2" range. Prior to the stock, I had dialed in 1.5" groups @ 200 yards....and for hunting, that works just fine in my book.

Tight would be fine by me, but both problems can not be used as is.

I pressed as hard as I could on the bolt release, and got nothing.

And as for the magazine, it is the opposite of tight, it falls out when cycling the bolt.

I'm sure Boyds' will take care of it. Between their responses here to other members that I have seen along with their long reputation for quality and customer service, I am sure they will have a new one on the way.

G-manz35
11-06-2013, 10:32 PM
G-manz35... any chance you could give us some more info on the bedding job as I'm sure others would be interested in a "How To".

Cheers

Jas

I'd be more than happy to share what I have done with everyone, but I am in no means an expert on bedding rifles. I'll toss a few pics together once I'm done and give a brief description.

What I can tell you now is that the barrel did not line up with the stock. I wrapped the barrel with masking tape so that it was snug in the stock then I used a Dremmel to cut a channel around the front action screw and around the front of the rear action screw. I also put a small spacer under the rear action screw to lift it ever so slightly then I bedded it with a Miles Gilbert Bedrock bedding kit. I will not have a before and after range report as I never shot the rifle before bedding, but I will certainly be able to compare it to the factory stock as I have shot 1000 or so rounds out of it already. I will probably start a new thread and add some pics when I'm done.

G

Jay24bal
11-06-2013, 11:32 PM
I called Boyds' today and they were more than helpful. They offered to either ship me a new stock (overnight) for free, or let me speak to a tech and he would walk through the mods needed to fix it. If I chose to fix it myself and was either unable to fix it or screwed it up in the process, they said they would still send me a new one. A+ to Boyds'!

As I suspected and you all informed me, the fixes were rather easy. I just wanted to make sure that Boyds' would still allow a return in case I messed it up.

So after 10 minutes with a small file (I keep a set of jeweler's files on hand specifically for my guns) and some sandpaper, I was good to. It fits like a glove and works 100%.

Can not wait to get it out to the range this weekend. Once my range closes for January and February, I will glass bed it for good.

Thanks for all the help!

liquid
11-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Cheers

Jas

where abouts do you hail from

les

jasta
11-07-2013, 05:38 AM
pm sent
where abouts do you hail from

les

liquid
11-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I am in new plymouth

liquid
11-07-2013, 04:20 PM
I wish to know if the metal piller posts are included in the stock, Or we need to do them ourselves. can't make up my mind which one to get, but have discounted the thumb hole as I have small hands and short fingers

les

jasta
11-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Her are some pix of the stock. As you can see its free floating and looks rather nice

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG1035.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG1033.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG1029.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG1036.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG1037.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG1047_BURST013.jpg

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff463/jasta70/IMAG1044_BURST007.jpg