PDA

View Full Version : Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20

liquid
03-05-2014, 02:13 AM
My stock arrived on monday, many thanks, but I still have a problem. I am short, and I was hoping that I might be able to reduce the length of pull on my prairie, but that interferes with the check piece. For me now to fix that properly, I should have ordered a special which would have fixed the problem, however, since I am in New Zealand, I have the problem of the $100 dollars export cap to contend with with the special charges on top it puts me over!! bummer! Is there a way we can get around this. You may post here or privately to labelman@clear.net.nz. Its a cracker stock, but for me at this stage not very user friendly. your help is needed please.
thanks in advance - les

LoneWolf
03-05-2014, 01:51 PM
My stock arrived on monday, many thanks, but I still have a problem. I am short, and I was hoping that I might be able to reduce the length of pull on my prairie, but that interferes with the check piece. For me now to fix that properly, I should have ordered a special which would have fixed the problem, however, since I am in New Zealand, I have the problem of the $100 dollars export cap to contend with with the special charges on top it puts me over!! bummer! Is there a way we can get around this. You may post here or privately to labelman@clear.net.nz. Its a cracker stock, but for me at this stage not very user friendly. your help is needed please.
thanks in advance - les

How much do you need to shorten it? Can always cut jt down and do a custom butt pad on it.

liquid
03-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Don't worry, I have thought of that as well. It was surprising how much longer than the youth stock it is. Well over the 1 1/2" The cut to take me back far enough would go through pretty much where the check piece finishes and where the sling stud is situated. My problem of course, as well as being not comfortable, is trying to climb into the scope to focus. I am off to my local gun shop this morning to look further into my scope mounts to bring my scope further back. It might partially solve my problem.
The majority of shooting, is off a bipod shooting goats from a fixed position. I may well have to learn to fudge it for a while, while I get used to it.
I am a we bit hesitant as yet to do a custom, but it may well come to that.
Note that length of pull in the original Savage stock is 13 1/2" Boydes is 13 3/4, Savage youth is 12/12" and Boydes reduced length of pull reduced is 12 3/4. That 1/4" can make a lot of difference in comfort.
I have noticed that it seems to be a trend that the length of pull has increased a little over the years, in all manufacturers. Could it be a ploy to make an extra dollar by forcing buyers to purchase a new stock to fit their shooter as an extra, knowing full well that the stock on the original offer won't fit the average person. Surly it would be easier to make a shorter length of pull to suit the shorter to average guys then sell different length butt pads to suit those that require it! Ruger has just done that with their New American!

Food for thought!

Boydes sales I hope you pick up on this. les

2fast4u
04-01-2014, 12:37 PM
I took the opportunity to order a LH stock for my Axis now that they are having a sale on them, bringing them under the magic 100$ limit for international orders. Standing by the mailbox waiting ... and waiting ...

liquid
04-01-2014, 10:51 PM
sorry about my delay in posting back, but I might have solved my problem to a certain extent. After a bit of a hassle, I managed to get a rail specifically for the edge to move my scope back, which I have done. The butt and scope fitting is now is sorted. my only grief now is that it is a little front heavy, so is not balanced as it should be, but near enough. At least I can now pick the rifle up and the scope is as it should be, and I am not having to climb up into it.
There is a lot of talk about bedding, but I am sure the new stocks do not need it now. Mine come with the red safety dot as mentioned in the past, but it now sits on two plates. I have not seen them in any pics in the past in this forum. Must be a new development from Boydes in this respect.
The rifle now shoots a lot better, as I am getting to know it more. I have used up the hand loads that were developed for me and I am going to stay with Belmont in psp 55gn, and Ausi oudoor 69 gn. Regardless what goes down the spout, it all shoots the same, but Fiocchi out performs them all, but the huge price difference does not warrant it for my purpose.
I am so impressed that I have purchased a sav .22 mark 2, and on selling my Ruger 10.22. There is no comparison!

Thanks to all who have posted on various topics in this thread. - les

cranebird
04-04-2014, 06:41 PM
Well I got my tracking number today so I blame Frank for his review ....Thanks Frank, I chose the camo in the prairie hunter instead of the classic though.:yield:

fgw_in_fla
04-04-2014, 07:26 PM
You'll like it. If yours is as tight fitting as the two I bought, you'll be happy.

The camo is pretty nice looking. Wait until you see it in the sunlight. Even the stainless steel trigger guards were nicely made. The only complaint I have is that miserable recoil pad. I swear it reminds me of a piece of tire cut & shaped then screwed in place. It's about as hard as an old BF Goodrich tire.

Good luck with it.

cranebird
04-05-2014, 08:20 AM
You'll like it. If yours is as tight fitting as the two I bought, you'll be happy.

The camo is pretty nice looking. Wait until you see it in the sunlight. Even the stainless steel trigger guards were nicely made. The only complaint I have is that miserable recoil pad. I swear it reminds me of a piece of tire cut & shaped then screwed in place. It's about as hard as an old BF Goodrich tire.

Good luck with it.

Thank you.My original plan was to buy it with the custom Limbsaver pad option. They had the prairie hunter /camo in stock, ship 1 -2 days and the waiting is always the hardest part so I didn't wait for the limbsaver option. The .223 recoil isn't a problem. I really like the recoil pad on the original stock and would have liked to have it on the new stock..........

cranebird
04-09-2014, 06:56 PM
Well the stock and accutrigger was delivered today.It took a little grinding but the trigger is sweet. I am liking the new setup, going to look into a higher powered scope next.

http://s20.postimg.org/rii22pje5/DSCN2116.jpg

cranebird
04-10-2014, 09:13 AM

Good luck with it. I'm not all that excited about the stock. It has a few blems, gouged where my Palm grips ,a gouge in the screw inlet which you don't see but I know it's there plus a couple of crease dents in the bottom of the tear drop grip and stock.I've sanded most of it out,going to look into another stock,keep this for the harsher coyote hunting where it'll bound to get dinged up anyways.l don't mind the pad on it but the .223does not have the recoil......

sales@boydsgunstocks
04-10-2014, 11:35 AM
If at any time you are not completely satisfied with your stock out of the box - please contact our Customer Service department about a replacement before modifying or altering at home. We take great pride in our work, and want to ensure our customers are 100% satisfied! Any questions just let me know!!

Best Regards ~ Jen

I'm not all that excited about the stock. It has a few blems, gouged where my Palm grips ,a gouge in the screw inlet which you don't see but I know it's there plus a couple of crease dents in the bottom of the tear drop grip and stock.I've sanded most of it out,going to look into another stock,keep this for the harsher coyote hunting where it'll bound to get dinged up anyways.l don't mind the pad on it but the .223does not have the recoil......

cranebird
04-10-2014, 11:59 AM
If at any time you are not completely satisfied with your stock out of the box - please contact our Customer Service department about a replacement before modifying or altering at home. We take great pride in our work, and want to ensure our customers are 100% satisfied! Any questions just let me know!!

Best Regards ~ Jen thank you for the reply.I will be ordering another in a couple of weeks once I figure out what I want.I'm good with the stock or I would have looked into sending it back before I put sandpaper to it.I'm sorry my post appeared as it did. It was not my intention.

sales@boydsgunstocks
04-10-2014, 01:19 PM
No worries - your post did not come across badly at all! I just wanted to make sure that everyone knows that if at any time they are not satisfied to give us a call, we are more than willing to work towards a solution that works for everyone :-) Glad to hear that it was a relatively easy fix and that you are in the market for another!! :biggrin-new:

thank you for the reply.I will be ordering another in a couple of weeks once I figure out what I want.I'm good with the stock or I would have looked into sending it back before I put sandpaper to it.I'm sorry my post appeared as it did. It was not my intention.

Lonewulf
04-11-2014, 06:52 PM
got my Thumbhole in Nutmeg today :) Looks nice
hopefully have time to put it on tomorrow and go shoot, supposed to be 80 here in SE Iowa

Lonewulf
04-12-2014, 05:42 PM
finally got it put on

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q779/jmills61/20140412_125621_zps20bd6d7c.jpg (http://s1358.photobucket.com/user/jmills61/media/20140412_125621_zps20bd6d7c.jpg.html)

Dirtydeeds
04-13-2014, 08:47 PM
I notice there is a Boyd's rep contributing to this thread. Would it be possible to get a rear view picture of the classic and prairie hunter? I'm looking at ordering either the classic or prairie but do not see any information on the difference in cheek swell between the two styles. The pictures from the left and right do not show much difference in the two other than the prairie seems to be trimmed down behind the cheek riser. The prairie looks like it is thicker but it's hard to be sure from the side. If you could post a picture of the two from the rear that would be awesome.

sales@boydsgunstocks
04-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Let me see what I can do! Won't be today, but I will try and get you something tomorrow!

Have a good night ~ Jen

I notice there is a Boyd's rep contributing to this thread. Would it be possible to get a rear view picture of the classic and prairie hunter? I'm looking at ordering either the classic or prairie but do not see any information on the difference in cheek swell between the two styles. The pictures from the left and right do not show much difference in the two other than the prairie seems to be trimmed down behind the cheek riser. The prairie looks like it is thicker but it's hard to be sure from the side. If you could post a picture of the two from the rear that would be awesome.

fmmarlin
04-15-2014, 10:23 PM
I have the prairie hunter in walnut with the checkering and a limb saver. I love it so far. i have the Timney trigger as well and the stock slid on with no modifications. Great work Boyds

Kanitapja
04-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Just got my Classic / Axis / Nutmeg / .223 today and it was at the range within an hour. Before firing the first shot, I noticed the problem: The magazine refuses to lock into place. I looked closely, and it appears that the locking plate at the fore end of the magazine well is set too far back - I can post a picture later, if needed. Somebody PLEASE let me know if there's an easy fix for this - It looks like the only honest fix would be to move the front plate forward just a wee bit. I think it's set too far back to consider it OK to shave away at it without adverse affect on its structural integrity.

This stock is otherwise EXACTLY what I've been needing, and it really needs to get busy shooting.

LoneWolf
04-22-2014, 05:26 AM
I don't have a bopyd's stock, but with the 2 SSS stocks I have the magazines when new have always been a little snug at first. Just needed an extra tap with the palm of my hand to seat them. Also with rounds in the mags seat the mag with the bolt open and to the rear.