PDA

View Full Version : Laminate replacement for AXIS - BOYDS

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20

cap10pd
02-17-2014, 02:16 AM
So, anyone do any refinishing to there new Boyds finished stock(I would like mine to have a more reflective coating)---What works and what doesn't. All comments /suggestions are appreciated. This is the first stock I'd like to redo.

patrolit
02-19-2014, 12:34 AM
I believe you can get flat or gloss in poly.

2111 Marine
02-19-2014, 03:59 AM
finally got mine the other day and it was well worth the wait as it looks awesome and it went onto my action with no issues and plenty of threads on the scres for a nice tight fit !!!

cap10pd
02-19-2014, 07:20 AM
What do they mean when they (Boyds ) say 90 degree finished?

bloodhawke83
02-19-2014, 01:25 PM
I noticed today I had more money in the bank. The Boyd Gunstock charge isn't showing up anymore, did not ship yet. I ordered on the 13th, hasn't shipped yet.

You think they canceled on me? I'm in CA if that makes a difference.

2111 Marine
02-19-2014, 02:48 PM
I noticed today I had more money in the bank. The Boyd Gunstock charge isn't showing up anymore, did not ship yet. I ordered on the 13th, hasn't shipped yet.

i'm from CA and i orderd mine on 1-8-14 and received it on 2-17-14

rsh4364
02-19-2014, 06:08 PM

That's how they did mine too.They take $ back out when they ship.

thomae
02-20-2014, 04:55 AM

You think they canceled on me? I'm in CA if that makes a difference.Why don't you ask them? That way you don't have to wonder.

Lonewulf
02-23-2014, 04:04 PM
so the axis .223 would be the short action right? making sure before I order

bloodhawke83
02-23-2014, 04:05 PM
so the axis .223 would be the short action right? making sure before I order

right.

liquid
02-27-2014, 02:54 AM
I ordered mine on the 13th and are awaiting clearance by customs here in NZ. Hoping tomorrow or early next week

fgw_in_fla
02-27-2014, 11:25 AM
After reading about the Boyd's stocks and seeing pics of them I decided to take that giant step forward & retire a couple of my plastic stocks. It's not going to be easy after all the modifications & work I did to them over the years. They served me well & they kept my aim straight & true BUT...
After meeting that guy that broke his at the grip (fla hunter, I think) I always worried about that happening to me at a very inopportune time. I'm going to change out 2 on my favorite rifles - the 25-06 & the .308. I feel bad about retiring them but I believe its time to upgrade.
Now...
Questions for you guys that did the change out.
I ordered mine with a stainless trigger guards. Anyone here do the same? Anything I need to know or is it pretty straight forward?
Did anyone have to wallow out the barrel channel to accommodate a fat barrel? Pretty easy? - as in wood reasonably workable or is it like cutting petrified wood?
Sorry for all the questions. This isn't easy for me. I've grown quite fond of the plastic stocks & almost feel like I'm about to lose a close friend.
The day I receive them, before I do the swap out I'll be asking everyone to observe 60 seconds of silence with me to honor them.

jknox1030
02-27-2014, 09:05 PM
If anyone is interested in Boyd's Tacticool stock, head over to "vendor announcements and +1 the post. It's a good looking affordable "tactical" stock that would be for the axis.

Elgin
02-28-2014, 10:24 AM
After reading about the Boyd's stocks and seeing pics of them I decided to take that giant step forward & retire a couple of my plastic stocks. It's not going to be easy after all the modifications & work I did to them over the years. They served me well & they kept my aim straight & true BUT...
After meeting that guy that broke his at the grip (fla hunter, I think) I always worried about that happening to me at a very inopportune time. I'm going to change out 2 on my favorite rifles - the 25-06 & the .308. I feel bad about retiring them but I believe its time to upgrade.
Now...
I ordered mine with a stainless trigger guards. Anyone here do the same? Anything I need to know or is it pretty straight forward?
Did anyone have to wallow out the barrel channel to accommodate a fat barrel? Pretty easy? - as in wood reasonably workable or is it like cutting petrified wood?
Sorry for all the questions. This isn't easy for me. I've grown quite fond of the plastic stocks & almost feel like I'm about to lose a close friend.
The day I receive them, before I do the swap out I'll be asking everyone to observe 60 seconds of silence with me to honor them.

I opened mine for a heavy barrel. I used sockets wrapped in sandpaper to gradually get the channel I wanted. It was a ton easier and quicker than the B&C stock I did previously.

Elgin
02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
If anyone is interested in Boyd's Tacticool stock, head over to "vendor announcements and +1 the post. It's a good looking affordable "tactical" stock that would be for the axis.

Absolutely! Let's get Boyds to make this for us!

Everyone get over there and plus 1 it! :)

fgw_in_fla
02-28-2014, 10:34 AM
I opened mine for a heavy barrel. I used sockets wrapped in sandpaper to gradually get the channel I wanted. It was a ton easier and quicker than the B&C stock I did previously.

Sockets wrapped with sandpaper?
I have to admire your ingenuity.

I can't imagine it would be too awfully hard to sand or cut away if it's laminated. I was just curious to know how tough it might be. With my luck I'll get one made from laminated Lignum Vitae...

bloodhawke83
02-28-2014, 07:54 PM
so, my order is on back order........

Elgin
02-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Sockets wrapped with sandpaper?
I have to admire your ingenuity.

I can't imagine it would be too awfully hard to sand or cut away if it's laminated. I was just curious to know how tough it might be. With my luck I'll get one made from laminated Lignum Vitae...

Thanks! Everyone said to use a dowel, but I didn't have one, so I dug through the garage to see what else I had. The nice things about the sockets are the ability to use different sizes to fine tune the channel.

None of the Boyd's I've had have ever been too tough to work with. Not sure what they use for laminate (I guess I could go look), but you should be good to go.

I have two more Axis builds going together, so I'll need to open up two more stocks (hopefully they'll both be in tacticool stocks).

bloodhawke83
03-04-2014, 06:57 PM
all the stocks i ordered shipped.....i hope i get an early shipment cause i wont be home to enjoy it. :(

rsh4364
03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Now...
Frank you will love the new stocks,my .308 is wearing a prairie hunter and .223 has the thumbhole..I love the thumbhole but its a little blocky,could use some streamlining.The prairie hunter feels perfect.But both are so much nicer looking than fact. stock!